pehlewis

Contouring - Product Help

I am very fair skinned, with red hair and a very round jolly, irish face! Even when I was very thin, I had big chunky cheeks! I have been looking at different palettes and sets to start me out contouring my face, like it seems everyone does now a days. I currently use Kat Von D's lock-it foundation in the fairest shade and I LOVE it! I use a bronzer and oscillate between a few different blush shades. I would love recommendations on buying palettes for this purpose (like the natural beauty and no-make up ones from Too Faced) or putting together my own, with the best bronzer, highligter and blush for fair skinned. Also, I don't care to pay for a good product but anything outlandishly expensive won't be attainable.

Thanks for your help!

kalex

Re: Contouring - Product Help

(0) Hearts

Just wanted to say that you should be happy you have chubby cheeks.  You will look younger longer than those with thinner faces!

I hated my cheeks when I was younger.  Like you I was very thin but had a full and round face.  At a party in high school once a bunch of us were sitting on the floor around a coffee table playing cards when one girl looked at me and said to her friend, "What's with all the fat girls here?"  Her friend gestured to me and said that I wasn't fat and asked me to stand up.  I did, and the other girl was shocked.  She called me "Cheeks" for the rest of the night.

Now that I'm in my 30's though I'm realizing that I look younger than a lot of other women my age.  A fuller face is associated with youth.  Not to mention that more fat cells in our faces means that as we lose fat cells as we age, our thinner faced friends will be looking at fillers and facial plumpers before us.

PS - I'm Irish too.  I never considered that might have something to do with it.

pehlewis

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Those are good points and I will keep them in mind!

blink11

(0) Hearts

If I were you I would reference Jennifer Lawrence she has cheekbones but they are also kind of chubby. I also use Hoola by Benefit as a contouring bronzer because it's matte and I also use NARS Luminizer in Super Orgasm it's very pretty for the tops of my cheeks for a nice glow!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

May or may not be relevant, but if your big chunky cheeks are not something you were born with, try facial massage. my face was pretty much the same shape until college, where I gained ~30lbs and I didn't lose them until 6 yrs later. Since I lost 30lbs in 3 month, my body is slim but my cheeks stayed fat. Facial massage using facial oil when I moisturize at night helped me slim down my cheek (something to do with lymph nodes, circulation and stuff).

pehlewis

(0) Hearts

My whole family going back generations have the chubby cheeks, but I will try the massaging to see if that gives me any improvement! Thank you!

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

Try Benefits Hoola Bronzer! Or a trick I like to use is just any matte light brown neutral eyeshadow to contour! It's always best to contour above your ear line to the edge of your nostril. For a defined cheekbone use a credit card for a sharp line or a small buffing brush. Blend it out lightly afterwards! To make your contouring stand out even more, a nice highlight will work! Highlight the inner parts of your face, and right under that cheekbone, the top of your nose, your chin, and center forehead! For fair skin, try Tartes tipsy and blissful blushes! I like the more orangy/coral shades for fair pink undertones because it helps balance all the pink in the skin. 

pehlewis

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your help!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Too Faced palettes and bronzers are a great place to start! Their Milk Chocolate Bronzer is perfect for fairer skin tones!

I recently put a diagram together on contouring, blush, and highlighing that I think you may find helpful. It's in the below thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

I go over techniques, tools to use, where to apply product and even run through two types of blush application techniques to give the face a different look which will help make your face appear less round.

pehlewis

This is incrediblhy helpful! Thank you! I think I may go ahead and buy a pallette so I have some product to play with before committing to a full size product. THANKS!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

My pleasure! Too Faced has a bronzer palette that has matte and satin finishes so you can play with different types to see which ones are right for you. There's also a highlighter in the kit and the shades can even be used as make-shift eye shadows if you're in a pinch:

http://www.sephora.com/the-bronzed-the-beautiful-french-riviera-edition-P281605?skuId=1322395

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • kalex
    • jellymonster
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • blink11
    • pehlewis