Mollycj

Coastal Scents Silica Powder

Hi, so I'm currently using MUFE Mat Velvet + Foundation and I need a good setting powder to keep oil away. I also use Tarte Perfecting Primer since I hear it's good for anti aging, even though I'm only 15 :smileyhappy: . Anyways I was looking into MUFE's HD powder and it's crazy expensive for so little product, but if it's worth it, then the price won't matter. I also heard about Coastal Scents and how they sell 100% silica powder identical to MUFE for way less! Has anyone tried Coastal Scents and what is your reaction? Also does the white show up in non flash photos or just flash? Thanks so much!

beautylovingirl

Re: Coastal Scents Silica Powder

(0) Hearts

Just remember light touch when blotting and you'll be oil free and ready to go!:smileyhappy:

Mollycj

Thanks so much! I do own blotting papers but have never used them after makeup is applied in fear that it will smear.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try Benefit's Porefessional, it's a pore minimizer and primer but can also be tapped over make up on skin to absorb oil and control shine without disrupting make up or lifting it (as with the fear of blotting sheets) or making skin cakey (fear with contant powder use). The silica based balm works like silica powder but won't give the white cast when applied throughout the day due to its formulation. It can be a good product to start your make up routine with, then finish with a silica powder, but then keep with you for touch ups.

beautylovingirl

Lylysa  is right about it not being a touch up powder but it does a completely awesome job at keeping oil away. I have another suggestion also and that would be just to purchase oil blotting papers if you have the need to touch up this will prevent from too much powder being caked on your face.

lylysa

Amen to that, blotting papers are wonderful. The key is to actually blot, not press down super hard or wipe, those techniques is what usually causes make to lift. Using delicate pressure to skim over shiny spots is the way to go. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've never used the CS silica powder but ELF Studio has a HD/silica powder for $6 sold at Target and online. It doesn't feel quite as fine as the more expensive brands (I've used MUFE, Urban Decay, Too Faced, Smashbox, and Tarte), however gives similar results. I advise not using the powder puff it comes with as it loads way too much product on skin, stick with a fan or stippling brush.

The key with silica powders and avoiding the white cast on skin is using a fine amount, and I mean using barely any at all. The white cast on skin is caused when too much is caked on, it's meant at as a finishing/setting powder and doesn't need as much applied compared to regular translucent powders. The silica particles end up layering over each other and rather than diffusing light around imperfections and helping to mattify shiny spots, too much ends up forming a barrier on skin that is visible with flash photography. Again, use a fan or stippling brush to sweep on a fine amount, if you use a regular powder brush, swirl some onto a brush and pat and roll it onto skin, no need to buff like with regular powder. you don't need to work it into the skin as it's meant to gently lay on top.

Keep in mind that since it's a finishing powder, it's not meant to be reapplied frequently, it's not a touch up powder to reuse too many times a day. For more frequent touch ups, use a fine milled translucent powder like Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible powder.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

The MUFE HD powder is worth every penny. This has been my favorite ever since I started using it. It truly does give you a flawless smooth finish. I'm not familiar with the Coastal Scents powder so I really can't comment on that. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • Mollycj