Bortiz

Best makeup for oily skin?

Hi, I have been using a drugstore brand makeup and up until recently I have decided to take the leap and try some better quality makeup. I have been using Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse foundation. I have oily skin and am not sure what would work best. Usually by the end of the day with this current makeup, it makes me look sweaty and it feels so oily. The shade is Natural Beige (Medium 2.5) and I am not sure what brands are best and what shades to choose.

beautylovingirl

Re: Best makeup for oily skin?

(0) Hearts

A powder foundation is usually best for oilier skin. The MUFE multi-use pro finish powder foundation or the Kat Von D foundation is great for oily skin also. Using a makeup primer can help with the oil also.The rehab elixir primer from Kat Von D would be a good primer for you to research and the HD powder from MUFE is my all time favorite in finishing powders. LOVE IT! Hope this helps!

incinci

One comment on the MUFE HD powder.  Did you know that you can get the same exact thing in bulk from Coastal Scents.  It is called silica spheres and you can buy a large quantity of it for around $20-$25 bucks, enough to fill up a MUFE powder container about 10-12 times!!!  Just wanted to throw that out there!  It is all my daughter and I use now, and it is a great all-around powder for finishing, setting and oil control.

bananachoox3

(0) Hearts

For oily skin, I would first use a more gel based moisturizer since it absorb better into the skin. Next I would recommend using a mattifying primer on places where you are oily, products like Givenchy Mister Mat or Benefit's Porefessional are some to try out. Pat this in your t zone and let it settle in. An oil free foundation would be best for your skin type. Try using Clinique Stay Matte like diana mentioned or even Tarte's 12 hour foundation. That stuff is pretty amazing. Either one would work. I would also set your makeup with a powder, even though you want a quality product, Maybelline Dream Matte powder is amazing to me. If not, Tarte's Smooth Operator is a great choice as well. Last but not less, I like to set my makeup with a makeup setting spray, UD De Slick is one made for oily skin and you can also check out Kat Von D makeup setting spray as well. For touch up in mid day, try using blotting sheets to blot away excessive oils.

Bortiz

(0) Hearts

I think trial and error is the way to go. I didn't think I needed primer at first but after reading about it, it seems like I should use it. All of these tips and suggestions definitely helps out when it comes down to trying to figure out what might be best. Thanks you guys!

babybear04

(0) Hearts

Hi there! I agree with previous posters that an oil-free foundation might suit your skin type best.  There are loads of options on the market, but I think going for something a little higher-end might be better for you.

The Make Up For Ever foundations are awesome, and will really help cover anything you want to hide.  They are long lasting, and don't feel too heavy on the skin.  Check out their HD Invisible Cover Foundation and their Mat Velvet ones.

If you're looking for a more natural, sheer coverage foundation, then I highly suggest  you check out a tinted moisturizer or BB cream.  There are also a wide variety of oil-free options availble.  I really like the Bobbi Brown BB cream and Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

Also, I'd look into a good primer if you want to stick with foundation.  A primer will help minimize oil, and will make foundation application a breeze--it makes foundation go on much smoother, and helps it stick/last throughout the day.  I highly reccomend the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer as well as one of Smashbox's primers (they offer several designed to meet specific needs like redness, discoloration, etc.)

Lastly, if you really really want to make you foundation stay put throughout the day and avoid oil buildup, I suggest a finishing spray.  Although I haven't personally tried it, I've heard rave reviews about the Urban Decay setting sprays.

This all sounds like a lot, but the best method for figuring out what will help is by a trial of elimination.  I'd say choose either a primer OR a setting spray unless you have super duper oily skin, then perhaps both.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

dianabt

Hi Bortiz, 

With your makeup, you may want to try also adding in an oil free or mattifying primer which can help to reduce shine and keep your makeup staying on. 

If you are using any moisturizers, sticking to an oil free will be your best option so you can keep your skin hydrated yet reduce shine and greasiness from affecting your makeup coverage and appearance. 

I suggest you try the Clinique Stay Matte Oil Free Foundation. I have combination skin and love this foundation because it is lightweight and not too heavy, and keeps the oily parts of my face smooth and shine free while looking smooth and natural.

Try shade #9 which is a neutral (close to a natural beige which is similar to my own complexion and the shade #9 is what I use as well)

swfupload_6939678936130444911.jpg

http://bit.ly/X10QZp

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
atr3810

(0) Hearts

Do you use any sort of primer before you apply foundation?  I have oily skin too, and I find that if I apply Benefit's The POREfessional or Smashbox Oil-Free Primer first, then my foundation stays looking fresh much longer than when I skip the primer step. 

With that being said, the Make-Up Forever HD foundation is my absolute favorite, and their HD powder really helps things stay put.

sadaicha

(0) Hearts

try make up forever Mat Velvet. It is great for oil control and stays put especially if you set it with their HD powder. Have a sephora make up artist match you because their foundations have different undertones.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • babybear04
    • beautylovingirl
    • bananachoox3
    • incinci
    • atr3810