jennypoke

Best drugstore foundation? Mi

might seem a little weird to post a drugstore makeup question on sephora.com but that's because i know that you're all experts here!  

anyway, i'm 18 but never used foundation before since my skin has never given me any problems.  i want to start out with a drugstore brand since i still don't know if i will use it every day and don't want to put down the big bucks if it ends up being something i'll only use for special occasions.  plus i'm going to college and want to start finding less expensive products since i'm going to be paying for my own makeup next year.

i have fair combination skin, no acne but some redness.  

thanks!

emilyh

Re: Best drugstore foundation? Mi

Definitely Revlon Colorstay.  I'm not usually a fan of drugstore brands but this product has a beautiful finish that looks natural, and it lasts a super long time without getting blotchy.  They have a formula for oily/combination skin & that's the one I use.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Maybelline Fit Me is great (the only thing I didn't like was the scent) and L'Oréal True Match is excellent, too (no complaints). If you have fair skin, these two have shades paler than most lines offer, which is always a plus.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I have been using drugstore foundation lately because I only need light coverage.  Since I only need it to be light, I'm a bit hesitant about shelling out the big bucks for it.  

Lately, I have been very impressed with Neutrogena cosmetics.  It's a bit expensive for something that is drugstore, but it is still cheaper than high end.  They have a variety of formulas to fit whatever you may need at the time.  For something very basic, I recommend their Healthy Skin Enhancer.  

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

I've read some very good reviews on the CoverGirl 3 in 1 foundation. It has a primer, foundation and concealer. If you're not into that type of thing, I've also been told that the Revlon Color Stay foundation is pretty good. 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

@lovebaking123  EleventhGorgeous raves about the Covergirl 3 in1.  They really like ColorStay as well.

Xquizt

I have fair combination skin as well, no acne, with yellow undertones. Before I switched over to MUFE I used Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation religiously. It stays all day as long as you use a decent setting powder on top of it (I recommend Rimmel transluscent powder or L'oreal Visible Lift powder) and it'll give you a medium coverage beautiful matte finish.
I found that I only needed to re-powder my t-zone once during my 12 hour work/school days to prevent oiliness and my foundation still looked great.  I only switched to the higher end brand because it stays matte slightly longer and was a better color match for me.

Here are photos of me back when I wore Revlon.

revlon.png
revlon2.png

rezraveillation

(0) Hearts

I favor the Fit Me Maybelline...you can mix it with a moisturizer to go sheer or build it up to medium coverage. It acts a lot like MAC face and body for only $5. I have Loreal True Match Lumi and it just doesn't't look as natural on my skin as the Fit Me. The Fit Me is like my skin only better. That's my vote anyway....but as someone pointed out...it may not work for you if you tend to be oily....in that case you would definitely have to powder it. Good luck!!

lovelyred139

As a fellow fair-faced girl with some redness, I want to mention two things right off the bat. Don't be afraid of trying yellow-based foundations.  My skin tone is cool, but because I'm so pale I've found that yellow-based foundations actually give me a better shade match while correcting the redness on nose and cheeks.  Also, depending on how fair you are, don't be surprised if it's difficult to find a shade match among drugstore brands (or most brands, period).  I've heard good things about Revlon Colorstay and L'Oreal True Match in terms of pale shades, but since I don't like a matte finish I've not tested them myself.  Maybelline's FitMe line seems to offer a good range of pale shades as well, but the formula doesn't seem to play well with everyone's skin.

Now that that's out of my system, I second all the love for the L'Oreal Lumi if you want a dewy finish.  I'm heartbroken that the lightest shade offered in the range is still a hair too dark for me.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with this! I had always steered clear of yellow-based shades because my skin is cooler, but a NARS artist (Uzo, who is amazing) once let me know I was wearing the wrong shade, then matched me with the right one -- and it changed my world (haha). The yellow-based foundations are such a better match for me -- they make me way more uniform by way of neutralizing the pink and redness than any foundation that actually matches my skin does. It's a shame that they're so rare in pale shades, though; the majority of the paler shades are pink-based (in my experience). 

kstrat

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My all time favorite foundation is actually from the drugstore! I am 18 as well and have combination skin with occasional breakouts.  I love the CoverGirl NatureLuxe Silk Foundation.  it's perfect for covering up some redness that I have and if you put a powder on top of it, it will last all day and not get shiny.  it feels so smooth when you try to apply it and can be built up to medium coverage I feel even though it claims to be full coverage.  I highly recommend you wear something like RImmel Stay Matte Powder on top of this foundation or even the Maybelline Dream Matte Powder.  I haven't used the Rimmel one but the Maybelline one is great.

lolo01

(0) Hearts

I use Korres antiaging foundation right now but i would say that on the weekends i wear this Maybelline one and its great!blog true match.png

sephoramusthave

flower beauty about face----its only sold at walmart. I used up a bottle and bought a replacement when I ran out even though I have other bottles that are waiting their turn.

rezraveillation

Please tell me what your full opinion is on the flower foundation. I want to try it but have been too chicken. I love the lipsticks...insanely great formula for the black tubes....and the cream shadows are THE most beautiful. It is so much fun to see really nice products at Wal-Mart.

melde

(0) Hearts

I've been wanting to try some flower beauty products too..... hmm....

roxystar4

A lot of people rave about Revlon Colorstay Foundation ( I have not tried it).  

I like the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation. It looks natural but gives medium coverage. There are many reviews of this product on youtube.

Loreal True Match as a lot of good color options as well (and SPF)

If you can find your color in Loreals True Match Lumi (this product has a pump but no SPF), that is a good product too (I have to mix two colors to get the color that matches me and that is a lot of work for someone just starting out with foundation).

Good Luck! Also, check beauty blogs and youtube for info on different products, I think you will find a lot of good drugstore options... but I do think sometimes you get what you pay for.  Some of the high end foundations are amazing (really have a flawless finish).  Maybe you can get a sample of a few from Sephora or your local MAC counter and give them a try?

AlwaysGlamorous

Funny you say that, I actually had a colleague, a fellow Sephora addict, tell me this week that the Revlon Colorstay Foundation is one of the best full-coverage foundations she has ever used. 

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

rezraveillation-----I really love the flower beauty foundation. I was hesitant trying a drugstore foundation again since I've only been using high end ones for the last several years but I really love it. It has medium coverage and leaves a dewy finish. If you don't like the finish, you can always powder your skin with setting powder and it will lock the foundation in and look flawless all day. I love the thick, creamy formula----little goes a long way. It comes in a nice glass bottle with a pump which I love. It actually reminds me of the KVD foundation---its like the drugstore dupe for that----thick creamy formula, gives good coverage etc. I never repurchase anything I don't really like, and I bought a second bottle of this. I have the flowery beauty lipstick as well, the one in the white tube, but I don't like the formula on my lips but as a cream blush its perfection!

sephoralovex

Revlon Photo Ready is my all time favorite drugstore foundation. Something more lightweight I'd recommend is the Revlon Nearly Naked. If you want a glow, I suggest trying the L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation.

Also if you're looking for a drugstore setting powder I'd say try the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex
    • kimmi1115
    • roxystar4
    • kstrat