lreagan

Best brush to apply powder foundation?

I went to Mac for the first time ever today (!!!) to pick up the Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation. I usually wear liquid foundations but since we are heading into warm weather in California I wanted to get a powder one to keep my oily t-zone in check. I've never used a powder foundation before and was wondering what the best brush type to apply it is? I was thinking maybe a kabuki brush like the one from Too Faced but I'm not sure.

I have the Sephora Pro Light Powder brush (#50) that I use with my translucent setting powder but I don't think the brush is concentrated enough to apply a full coverage powder foundation.

http://www.sephora.com/pro-flawless-light-powder-brush-50-P313007?skuId=1419357

beautylovingirl

Re: Best brush to apply powder foundation?

[ Edited ]

@lreagan- LOL! There  brushes are pretty expensive and I'm sure you can find one just as good cheaper. It's definitely an obession they have such great colors. It gets worse from here. :smileysurprised:

lreagan

Yeah, I really need to stay away from Mac because this could get ugly. I'm also unemployed & job hunting so my wallet is like NO STOP but my eyes are like GIMME ALL THE MAKEUP.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@lreagan- YAY for you! I use the MAC Studio Tech Sponges to apply mine I didn't like the initial sponges that I got with it. But they recommend the 134 brush they have which is their large powder brush. There is  brush finder at MAC.COM also they have live makeup artist you can chat with. Very helpful!

lreagan

I was looking at the Mac brushes but I REALLY don't want to drop $50+ on a new brush, ugh. I figure I can get a decent kabuki brush for around $30 if I can't make any of my current brushes work with it.

I actually went back to Mac today (I can feel a new obsession forming, uh oh) and picked up a concealer, gel eyeliner, and Fix+).

joeanne

I have both the UD Optical Blurring brush and the Bare Minerals Precision Face Brush that I bought to use with my powder foundation (Origins Brighter by Nature). I love them both but find myself reaching for the Bare Minerals brush more often as I really love the angle and the density of the bristles. It seems to pick up just enough powder and the angled bristles make it easy to apply around the nose and chin. I haven't had any shedding from either, which is a big annoyance with me! Both brushes are pretty reasonably priced too!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Awesome, thank you! I'll try my Urban Decay brush first and if that doesn't work the way I want it to I'll check out the Bare Minerals one. :smileyhappy:

drrragon

A kabuki brush is a great option for powder foundation since the hairs tend to be much denser so you can quickly get more coverage.  Flat top brushes (EcoTools has a flat top buffing brush that works well with powder foundation) or ones with an angle are good also, like the Bare Minerals Precision Face Brush swfupload_2014969785481718345.jpg

One thing I've started doing lately is applying my powder foundation with a sponge by patting (not rubbing) it all over my face, then blending it out with a regular fluffy powder brush.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

I also have the Urban Decay Optical Blurring brush but I don't know if that would work with powder?

drrragon

oh sorry just saw this one.  the Optical Blurring brush actually looks perfect for powder.  In fact in the item description they even mention using it to apply liquid OR powder.  The hairs are the right length and density to give enough tension so you can get full coverage with the powder as opposed to a sheer dusting you'd get from a normal fluffy powder brush.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Awesome, thanks! I'll try my Urban Decay brush with it and if it doesn't work out, I'll get a kabuki brush. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • drrragon
    • joeanne
    • beautylovingirl
    • lreagan
Photos1
  • swfupload_2014969785481718345.jpg