MilaSilva

♥ Best Primer: Hourglass vs Benefit Cosmetics vs Smashbox ♥

Hello! :smileyhappy:

I've just purchased the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (along with my 1st beauty blender!) and I've been looking for a really good primer to go along with the foundation. The foundation has good coverage + a very natural finish on my skin when using the beauty blender - I'm absolutely in love with it! However, my skin gets oily throughout the day, and I'm looking for something that can prevent the foundation from wearing off.

The Hourglass Veil Mineral, Smashbox Photo Finish, and Benefit Cosmetics POREfessional primers are really popular choices, and I just wanted to know which of the 3 primers you would recommend? Is there another primer you recommend that isn't one of those 3? Do you think I should I just stick with the Make Up For Ever HD primer?

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to recommendations! ♥

TrysBeautyItems

Re: ♥ Best Primer: Hourglass vs Benefit Cosmetics vs Smashbox ♥

(0) Hearts

Try a primer that dries more to powder but goes on liquid. Pur Minerals is one brand. A setting spray like Urban decay deslick can help and using a powder to set the foundation, before the spray. Also make sure the primer dries before putting foundation on.

Tayvm

(0) Hearts

If you have oily skin, definitely the Hourglass.  I bought the Benefit and ended up taking it back.  Hated it.  Use the Smashbox occasionally (received it in an Ipsy bag).  Can take it or leave it.  Hourglass is the one that I keep returning to. 

maltipoo66

(0) Hearts

Definitely try out the Hourglass. I've used MUFE HD primer before, and it was okay, but it was a little too dry for my dry skin.  Hourglass has this incredibly silky feel and really creates a great smooth base for your foundation.  Try to get a sample-you won't be disappointed :smileyhappy:

iknowitstoday

(0) Hearts

I heard smashbox is the same formulation as Monistat anti chaffing gel and for that reason alone would 1) not pay for smashbox and 2) probably not use it

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I agree with the comments for the Hourglass Veil.  I got a sample of it and really like it, I'm going to buy the full size product.  I've tried lots of primers.  Didn't like the Benefit one at all, although my sister likes it, so you never know!  My second favorite is Laura Geller Spackle.  Good luck!

PoesRevy

(0) Hearts

Hourglass Mineral Veil would be worth a try. I found the Benefit and Smashbox Photo Finish (regular) not to my liking. After trying the Smashbox Photo Finish Light...I still prefer the Hourglass. It goes on well and (imo) works better.

spoiledbrat

Hourglass gets my vote. Do not care for Benefit. Everything in Smashbox's line makes my eyes and nose run. Have given up on them, but they have neat stuff. :smileyhappy:

garnett

I really like the Hourglass Veil.  It's light and dries to a natural feel. It doesn't dry  out my skin  or cause me to break out. It is water resistant and it has a sunscreen SPF15.  The only downside is the fact that   it is on the pricey side.  Many primers cause my skin to get cranky so I am willing to pay more for one that makes my skin happy. 

MAKE UP FOR EVER makes HD Primer which is a good product and it comes in neutral and colors that address different issues.  It doesn't have an SPF.  I also don't think it is as water resistant as the Hourglass product.  That said, it is a quality primer and it is considerably less expensive than the Hourglass. 

I would recommend getting samples and trying different primers before committing to one.  

ChicDabbler

Definitely Hourglass mineral veil. I find the Smashbox a tad thick, and Benefit is great at mattifying but doesn't prevent foundation from wearing off. If you have drier skin the mineral veil might dry your skin out a bit throughout the day, but since you get oily it's perfect. =)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • maltipoo66
    • spoiledbrat
    • ChicDabbler
    • iknowitstoday
    • garnett