queeenbeee

Beauty Blender

Twenty dollars for a sponge seems kind of expensive. Does it make a noticeable difference compared to a brush? I'm all about a flawless and seamless looking face so if the BB is really worth the hype then I definitely want to purchase it. 

infinitise

Re: Beauty Blender

(0) Hearts

I bought the set with 2 blenders and cleanser during the 3x summer promo.. 

to get straight to the point, i didn't repurchase. 

I would use it if I won it off a giveaway or something, but I wouldn't buy it myself again

it depends on the formula of the foundation you use too to some extent, but from my experience, they accentuated the pores and imperfections a bit more than if I applied my foundation with a brush

they wear down pretty quickly too - especially because you have to wash them everyday, it "rips" apart when you get your nails in them or you rub them on your palms with soap. 

it does soak up less product than other sponges, but it still requires me to use more than if I were to use a brush 

but the good part is, its very hard to have your foundation to cake on you if you use a beauty blender. it does blend into the skin very nicely. 

from what I've heard in the past, its best to apply the foundation with a brush and give a finishing touch with the beauty blender to even out any thing less than even..

lsp2005

(0) Hearts

I have the sonjia kashuk one from Target and it is great, but I could not find a new one. I have had mine for about 3 months now and I sort of see it is getting worn out. Since I could not find a new one I picked up a beauty blender. I have yet to try it out, but I will say that the bb solid cleansing bar is excellent at cleaning my sk one and my brushes.

evno

(0) Hearts

I'm not sure whether to get this, either! Enable/disable me! I currently use the cheap, round foundation sponges while they're damp to apply my foundation, and I love the flawless, thin finish. However, I do hate washing them out, the sponges stain, and I feel like I'm wasting my precious Laura Mercier foundation. 

queeenbeee

(0) Hearts

YES! I'm using a cheaper version of the BB too. I think I'd rather spend my money on a different foundation brush than a the beauty blender after reading these responses. 

emmaclaire

I love my BeautyBlender and I usually HATE sponges.  I think you're going to get very mixed feedback, because there are drawbacks to the BB.  In my opinion, the pros (incredibly flawless finish, very easy to use, gives you better control of your foundation/concealer application, blends all your makeup perfectly) strongly outweigh the cons (can be tricky to get completely clean with some long wear foundations, somewhat expensive, not as long lasting as brushes) but depending on how important those factors are to you, you may come to a different conclusion.  If you're really on the fence, it might be worth it for you to look around online to see if you can find a coupon or sale - I know Ulta has had BeautyBlender brand sales in the past.

ry22

LaFemme5278 on YouTube has a great video comparing the Beauty Blender vs Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge. Basically, the Beauty Blender is a little smoother and durable, but there isn''t really a difference in application.

*the Sonia Kashuk one is $10, half as much as the Beauty Blender

shortstuff07

Not worth it.  Pain to clean, soaks up foundation so it wastes product, and the application isn't any better.  Urban Decay's optical blurring brush is way better, and you don't have to replace it every few months.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I like it, but the only problem is that I have to use more product than using a brush. It also sheers out your foundation.

ladymeag

[ Edited ]

Google for a blog called Brightest Bulb in the Box - she actually did a weighed test using the blender, brushes, and a disposable makeup sponge. The difference between the blender and brush is within a low standard deviation - so, negligible.

I agree with emmaclaire that it will only sheer out your foundation if you are using it incorrectly or are blending to sheer, which can also be done with a brush.

I don't like the Beauty Blender because I'm weird about washing my brushes frequently and would need a few Blenders on hand to be able to wash them and have them properly dry out in between to prevent mold/mildew (I live in a very damp place, it takes stuff here forever to dry out.) I use a Real Techniques buffing brush and get great results out of it (I've tried all kinds of foundation and buffing brushes - from MAC to Sephora Collection, don't let the low price-point on the Real Techniques brushes fool you, some of them are great brushes.) 

DTalksAll

Have you thought of getting a dehumidifier? I'm thinking of getting one for our laundry room to help speed up air dry time of my sweaters & jeans! I also leave the bathroom fan on when it's brush cleaning time. 

jojobe

Just send your humidity to me... Pipeline it... It is so dry here i have to have a humidifier..

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

I live in Seattle. Our humidity during the winter is generally pretty high and dehumidifying is a pretty expensive venture, black mold is a pretty common apartment problem (that I don't have because I love bleach and vinegar.) I had one in my place until my kid's allergist told me to shut it off because he was going to suggest a humidifier to make the air even moister for my asthmatic little. 

Thankfully, during the summer we don't have the same humidity issues, it's the winter rain that keeps us this wet. :smileyhappy:  I appreciate the suggestion but it's honestly easier to just use a brush that has no trouble drying overnight. 

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

Putting a dehumidifier in the master bath was the best thing we ever did :smileyhappy:  

emmaclaire

How exactly does a beauty blender change the texture and coverage of foundation?  Hint: it doesn't.

The BB is made to be used while slightly damp, and if it is used WET the water can… water down the foundation, thus making it less opaque.  However, using the beauty blender as directed should not require any more product than applying with a brush (I find I use less than I do with a brush) and have no impact on the coverage level of your foundation.

jojobe

1924575_10203144458798474_43465033_n.jpg

IllegallyBlonde

please explain this to me, jojobe!! i'm dying.

jojobe

Well then it is not better.... you are too confusing..

lecia1167

(0) Hearts

I do really like the Beauty Blender, but I agree the price is steep. Try Real Techniques Expert Brush. Ulta carries it, and it also does a great job.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 37 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • jojobe
    • ry22
    • ladymeag
    • IllegallyBlonde