kristaleann

BEST foundation for oily, acne prone, hard to match skin?

(0) Hearts

I'm 18, and I have such a hard time finding a foundation that matches me. My face has more pinkish undertones, while my neck is more yellowish. I can't use just any foundation, as my skin is oily and acne prone. I have an skincare routine that I am using religiously (I know that the most important thing for my makeup is my skincare) but I'm really having issues with clearing up my face. 

I have tried so many different types of foundations. I haven't used drugstore foundation in such a long time - though I've been tempted to look into products such as revlon colorstay and some of the neutrogena foundations. I have used probably every Clinique foundation (unless it was meant for dry skin), Lancome 24hr, Estee Lauder double wear/dw light, urban decay naked skin, benefit oxygen wow, makeup forever hd, stila stay all day, and most recently the tarte amazonian clay (and many, many more).

The problem that I had with the benefit is that I still seemed to shine through, no matter what combination of other products that I was using - primers, setting powder, etc. As for Urban Decay, I DO like it, but my skin just isn't clear enough for me to use that right now.

I like the Stila stay all day, however the color is a bit off for me. I also like the makeup forever hd, but I REALLY would love to try the mat velvet; I've heard sooo many good things about it for oily skin. The color that I was matched with for the HD was one of the closest matches that I have gotten: 115. How do these numbers compare with the mat velvet? Also, I'm at least a good 3 hours away from a Sephora store; if I order it online and it just doesn't work out for me, how would sending it back work out? 

I do have a sample of a clinique stay matte that seems to match fairly well, so I plan on seeing how that does on my skin as well. 

Are there any foundations that I'm missing? I hate the pinkish tone that sooo many of the foundations I have tried give me. 

I'm using the Tarte smooth operator setting powder. This and the Laura Mercier transparent loose powder are my two favorite powders that I have EVER used. I do not use a primer; I have tried sooo many, and they honestly seem to have the opposite effect on my skin.. foundations tend to look as if they are more settled in my pores!

I'm sorry for the essay, I just really want to find my HG foundation. I thought I had with the double wear light, but it just wasn't suiting me.

I would like at least a medium coverage, if not full. I don't necessarily like the dewey look, but I do want to look as natural as possible.

PLEASE HELP! 

CzaCee

Re: BEST foundation for oily, acne prone, hard to match skin?

i also have extremely oily skin but good thing i don't have acne. what i do is i just slap on any liquid foundie on my face. i prefer light coverage so i use my hg foundation, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. it has this semi-dewy natural effect. so what i do is i pat on a translucent powder which is the Essence Fix and Matte Translucent Powder. this setting powder is so so so amazing i can't even tell you how much this saved me from being a walking disco ball as the day progresses.

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

Update!: I used my Estee Lauder Double Wear Light again, and I have to say that I am beginning to like it much, much better now. To add to that, I can tell that my skin is clearing a bit, so that makes for a better foundation application as well. I was also able to find a shade in Clinique Stay Matte that I am really liking! I had a shade in another Clinique formula that was awful on me, so I traded that for this one, and so far, so good. I always get Clinique products at Belk; for the first time, I matched myself and I love the color! 

I'm sure that I will continue to search for the 'perfect' foundation, though. But until I find it, I will be using these two!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

If you have oily acne prone skin then you should look into a powder foundation it's works the best for oily skin and you'll also get better results at controlling your oil. I love MAC Studiofix powder foundation and have worn it for 10 yrs+ and it never lets me down. The other powder foundation I would suggest is the MUFE pro finish powder foundation. I would suggest using a mattifying or oil free primer before your foundation it's going to help control the oil and also give your foundation staying power. Finish off with a setting powder like the HD powder from MUFE it's my fave!:smileyhappy: Hope this helps!

Roseangela

(0) Hearts

The self tanner seems to neutralize the  shade that is on my neck...I use the tanner on my neck and chest (Jergan's Natural Glow has

Spoiler

1.  surprised me ... No breakouts and very natural color.
  2. i have been using Laura Geller Balance and Brighten in medium. The shade is vey forgiving ... Swirls of color seem to really blend well with the tones in my skin.  I bought mine at Ulta.  I use a small brush to apply some of the color as more of a concealor where I need it.
  3. i only use the self tanner lightly, I don't really want to tan, just even up my neck and face color.  This seems to help me the best.  I never wanted to apply makeuI on my neck but the color difference was really noticeable.  
jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I'm extremely fair, and my neck is differently pigmented than my face is, too.  It's so frustrating!  

I've stopped hunting for a HG foundation because I finally realized that not one single liquid formula was working on my skin.  It slid around, settled into lines, and caked with the oil.  Very, very few were fair enough for me except for Tarte's 12-Hour foundation.  To me, it's a good one IF you can tolerate liquid formulas.  It might come back into play during the colder months, but for now...

It's Lancome's Dual Finish foundation.  I ADORE THIS STUFF. Very fair shades available, lasts all day (12+ hrs), doesn't take multiple cleansing to get it off, never settles into lines, has not caked one day at all--even when sweating at work. (I'm a nurse.  Picture any given day for me.)  You can use a dry sponge on days you want sheer coverage, or, like I do, apply it with a damp sponge (I use a BeautyBlender dampened) for med-full coverage.  I truly, truly have no desire to even sample another liquid because this really does do everything I want in a foundation.  

Guess what?  No blending way down on the neckline, no bronzer needed below the chin, no self-tanning potions to make my neck look like it matches.  Life is good!

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

I have never, ever had good luck with powder foundations, so this is a bit scary for me! Knowing that it works for you makes me wonder if I should try it, though. Thanks!

mxcx

(0) Hearts

I feel you on the powder foundations! But I've never heard of Lancome's Dual finish foundation, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that. 

Have you tried mineral foundations though? I find that they can look more natural when it's really hot out, but generally the popular mineral foundations break me out. The brand I use I've never seen anywhere except for at my esthetician's office, but it's online: http://www.colorescience.com/product_p/compact.htm and for some reason, it doesn't break me out like BareMinerals or Pur Minerals or a bunch of other mineral foundations do.

Also, if you want a lot of coverage, I always use a powder foundation as a setting powder on top of a liquid foundation. It helps it stay longer too. And plus this way, you can kind of blend the mineral/powder foundation down your neck a little and it'll look more natural than trying to blend a liquid foundation down. 

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

I'm never tried anything other than things like BareMinerals, Pur Minerals, etc. and I guess that because of the way that those were on my skin I have never wanted to try any others! I always find that putting any type of powder other than loose powder just looks cakey on my face. 

Roseangela

(0) Hearts

My face and neck are two different shades, too.  It is incredibly frustrating To find a foundation shade!  What has helped me 

Was to use a self tanner on my neck, every other day or so and to match the foundation to my face.  I use Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation in Light/Medium (has an SPF that doesn't break me out) or Laura Geller 

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

When you use the self tanner on your neck, how do you blend it in with your chest/etc? Or is it a more subtle difference? I have never used a self tanner before so I'm not sure how that'd work out for me :smileytongue: 

I did use the Tarte as well, but I just didn't really like the way that my skin looked with it on. Which Laura Geller foundation did you use? 

mxcx

(0) Hearts

Reading your experience with trying to find the right foundation was like reading my personal story! I have crazy oily skin that is always broken out, and I could never find the right foundation because my face and neck varied so much in coloring. 

I actually just found my HG foundation a couple weeks ago, and it's the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation. Like you, I've tried so many foundations and been disappointed with so many foundations that I was ready to give up, but I decided to give this one last try and I am SO glad I did. It dries to a great velvety, powdery finish, and seriously lasts all day and helps control shine like nothing else. 

I've also tried the Makeup Forever Mat Velvet, and I personally don't like it very much. It reminds me of the Lancome 24H because even though the coverage is nice, it tends to settle into my pores and look cakey after a few hours (I don't know if this happened to  you?). 

As for primer, I feel  you on that too because I've probably tried every mattifying primer that Sephora offers and found nothing that really worked, but I really really think you should give Hourglass Mineral Veil primer one last shot. The good thing is that if you get the Hourglass Immaculate Foundation, it comes with a little sample pack of the primer in there, so you can try it out without purchasing the whole thing and see if you like it. It really works fantastically with the foundation and feels amazing on your skin. I also find that none of these products broke me out (and I seriously get breakouts from.. just breathing). 

I'm not sure about your shade match for foundations though because I'm a lot darker than you are, but for the Hourglass Immaculate, I recommend choosing your undertone, and then going one shade lighter in that undertone than you think you need to. The foundation itself oxidizes a lot within the first hour, so you will see a noticeable darkening. If I had to guess, I'd say go with the lightest shade Hourglass Immaculate offers or the one up that has neutral undertones (Shell I think?). 

I know Hourglass products are expensive, but they are just so worth it. Oh and the foundation has medium to full coverage that you can build up, but you might need a separate concealer for dark pigmentation. And if things don't work out, you can always just mail it back to Sephora. 

I hope this helped a little, and I hope you find your miracle foundation soon! (:

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

It's nice to hear someone else that has struggled with matching their foundation! I'm a bit hesitant about powder foundations, though. I have never used a higher end one, but I just am kind of worried about how it may look on my skin. But knowing that it has worked for you, and also that it comes with a sample of the primer, it definitely seems like something worth trying! And as for the Lancome, it seemed to be sliding off of my face during the day. It was like I had NO makeup on later during the day! 

kstrat

(0) Hearts

Hourglass actually did a study and 68% of people wearing that foundation claimed their breakouts were less and 100% shows improvements in overall skin.  So I think it's worth a try!

mxcx

(0) Hearts

Oh wait no, the Hourglass Immaculate foundation I was talking about isn't a powder foundation. It's liquid, but it dries down to a velvety, powdery finish so it can eliminate the need for a separate powder. 

Sorry if that was confusing before!

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I feel SO silly now! Haha, I guess I saw powder in the title and immediately assumed it was a powder. I looked it up on the site and realized what it is - I should have known when it said LIQUID powder. :smileytongue: When I set up my profile after that, it actually recommended that foundation as well!

mxcx

(0) Hearts

Hahah no worries! I hope you get to try it out though and hopefully love it as much as I do! ^____^

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

Haha, me too! Thank you!

cjjpriss

(0) Hearts

Sephora is the place to go!!!

I have used been using makeup counter makeup since I was 12! I got married back in November and my skin had been giving my issues since 6 months prior. I was having breakouts (the one or two painful ones at a time) for the first time (I'm 28) and my skin was perplexing: oily and shiny but dry and flaky. Also colors were difficult to match. I went into sephora for a new eye liner pencil, and 4 hours later after she had tried everything (god bless her!), we found the perfect thing! Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation ! It's so good for your skin and as thermogenic properties that matches your skin tone.... It comes out as white and as soon as it touches your face it begins to turn flesh tone. When you wipe it off, it comes off the color of traditional foundation. It's great for all day use and has made my face clear and bright. It was my savior! And they are amazing with returns! They ALWAYS make the customer happy:smileyhappy:
And just FYI: I ended up doing my own make up for my wedding bc it was that good!

kristaleann

(0) Hearts

I have never heard of this, but it sounds amazing! I will DEFINITELY be looking into it!

keelybt

Hi Kristalyeann  Mat Velvet would be a good choice for you.  If you are using MUFE HD in 115, I would recommend going with No. 20 or No. 25.  Another one that might work for you is Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation in light 44. It is a full coverage but doesn't feel heavy and gives a soft matte finish.

swfupload_4097194937938692429.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/mat-velvet-matifying-foundation-P177117?skuId=988634

swfupload_981310301037598725.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/lock-it-tattoo-foundation-P311138?skuId=1398858

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • jennypenny1995