arielaaaaaaaa

Advice for Makeup brush shedding

I purchased the new Smashbox Telephoto Brush, And i love it. I've never used a brush for foundation, Just a beauty blender. But i've been really liking the outcome, but it's shedding really bad! I've washed it twice, and still end up with black hairs on my face. Is this common? Should i give it more time, or return and get a new one? If anyone also has this brush could you tell me if your experiencing the same thing. 

kstarss12

Re: Advice for Makeup brush shedding

(0) Hearts

I started using baby shampoo and warm water to wash my makeup brushes and I haven't had any more problems with shedding. After I wash them, I just lay them on a towel until they're dry. Plus it makes my brushes smell wonderful :smileyhappy:

evno

Another tip is to wash your brushes in cold water. I heard that sometimes the regular washing in hot water can loosen the glue that holds your bristles in place.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

i will definitely make sure i wash i cold water from now on, thanks. 

beauty4ashes

Shedding brushes! All my foundation brushes, no matter what brand, cost, how I cleanse them shed! I keep a little thin dental metal thing to lift them off my face. Toothpicks work fine, too. This only happened when I started using the full coverage foundations. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Hmm, Well when i get a new one and it still sheds ill have to start keeping toothpicks on my vanity lol

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

Stippling brushes seem to be the most problematic. I've worked side by side with people using a variety of stippling brushes (depending on which pro-line they're using) & I see them constantly picking black hairs off clients; 99% of the time we're using full coverage liquids or cream foundations. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Hm, interesting. I used it with different types of foundationso same outcome, whetther i used the perricone, tarte, becca, revlon color stay, Lancôme. 

knadala

I heard that some brushes shed because the glue is becoming undone due to prolonged exposure to moisture. So maybe don't submerge the part of the brush where the hairs are attached. Also you should dry it upside down so everything doesn't seep into the base.

You may also just have come across a bad quality brush :smileysad:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I make sure not to submerge the brush and i let it dry slanted so the hairs aim down. So i don't think thats the issue. Thank you for the response! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

How long have you had the brush? I haven't experienced any unnatural levels of shedding with the brush, it's possible you may have gotten one which isn't made up to the standards of the others. I know that with synthetic brushes, it's sometimes best to use rubbing alcohol as a daily cleaner rather than brush cleaning spray as the alcohol won't eat at and break down the glue used to hold bristles in place (even a Urban Decay rep told this to me in regards to their brushes), but since the Smashbox brush is a dual-fiber, you can really go either way, but I doubt your brush is being THAT saturated with brush cleaner to where it's causing such shedding.

arielaaaaaaaa

I got it at the beginning of the month. And it was shedding before i washed it, I do use alcohol as a spot cleaner on my brushes, but once a week i've been washing the brushes with baby shampoo. It seems maybe i got a bad one. 

lylysa

:smileysad: That's bad news bears

I'm sure the return/exchange will be hassle free though, love how that brush locks in place!

arielaaaaaaaa

Thanks you Lylysa, I guess i'll be returning and getting a new one! 

lylysa

You're welcome, Ariela!

Miss your face here!! :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • lylysa