Nicole5184

Acne prone, sensitive, pale, combination skin... Quite a combination

[ Edited ]

I have acne prone, sensitive and combination (sometimes oily, sometimes dry) skin. I've tried every type of foundation, powder, concealer and primer out there. BB creams and primers have broken me out, so have some powders and foundations. I have cystic acne, which are those terribly painful ones that just won't pop. Proactiv seems to help, but doesn't quite do the trick. I was on an RX in high school, but stopped when i got onto birth control. That also seems to help, but the occasional breakouts happen. I've tried some of the "best" cosmetics and spared no expense, but I need to find something that gives me good coverage without clogging my pores, creating breakouts or leaving me with a bacon-greasy face. I have tried bare minerals, mineral liquid foundations, bb creams, primers, MAC, Origins, Clinique... I guess I am searching for that miracle foundation.

Oh, and finding a foundation pale enough for my skin is also a challenge.

Suggestions anyone?

Nina091890

Re: Acne prone, sensitive, pale, combination skin... Quite a combination

(0) Hearts

Nicole, 
Your case sounds EXACTLY like mine. My skin is pretty fair, so that's always a challenge to find make-up that is light enough but doesn't make me look like a porcelain doll. It's also very sensitive and since I was around 18, I have had constant breakouts that I can't seem to get rid of. I too have tried every cleanser under the sun, usually trying to find something that was free of parabens and sulfates, and always fragrance and dye free. After a visit to the dermatologist, she recommended I use CeraVe's cleanser and moinsterizer. It's by the same company that makes Cetaphil, but better for senstive skin. Because I didn't have acne going through puberty and instead later in my young adult life, the dermatologist told me hormones were most likely the culprit and can have a big effect on your sebum production which causes the oil that's giving you clogged pores. I recently started on a testosterone-blocking pill. Certainly not okay to take if you're planning on getting pregnant anytime soon, but otherwise cheap and has no side effects. Ask your dermatologist about it. I'm also using a topical cream called Tazorac to dry out what acne was on the surface. Also fairly inexpensive, especially if you have insurance. Cosmetically, I started using Bare Minerals years ago, and only recently considered that it might also be causing me to breakout. I googled "bare minerals cystic acne" and was surprised to find others in the same predicament. Apparently, one of the ingredients, bismuth oxychloride, which is found in a lot of mineral make-up, has been found to irritate people with especially sensitive skin. Everyday Minerals (can't find it at Sephora... :smileyhappy: ) is one that doesn't have Bismuth in it, and is surprisingly cheap---I'm a recent college graduate, so cost is always on my mind. As far as foundation goes, I've been using Maybelline's BB Cream. I showed it to the dermatologist, and she said it was fine. Good rule of thumb is if it says "non-comedegenic" it won't clog your pores. I hope this has been helpful! And if you don't think your Dermatologist is being especially helpful, change! It took me three times before I found one that actually seemed to know what she was talking about. Taking care of your skin issues is fixing the root of the problem, and then you can focus on enhancing your features with make-up. :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

I suggest that you try the new MUFE PRO FINISH MULTI-USE POWDER FOUNDATON, I think you can easily get better coverage and hopefully it won't break you out. If you are needing any thing right now from Sephora you can enter "PROFINISH" at check out to get a sample free to try. Hope this helps!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

It seems you are trying to combat skin care issues with cosmetics, which often times falls short of delivering the results and solutions you may want.

What by chance does your skin care regimen comprise of?

At the mention of cystic acne alone I would recommend you seek the advice of a dermatologist of skin care therapist before trying any new skin care or cosmetic product on the account of preventing your cystic acne from worsening.

I would suggest you look into the skin care line Boscia as it's designed for sensitive skin as it's preservative free and botantical based. Try looking into Tarte for the cosmetic end as they're a more natural based line and simplifies their products without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances and colors, and are very gentle.

Do your homework, research some products and bring a print out of ingredient listings to your dermatologist and check to be sure the items are cleared as safe for your skin.

It's better to play it safe than sorry!

Nicole5184

(0) Hearts

Hi Lylysa,

I'm not trying to combat my skin problems with cosmetics. I'm just trying to find products that I can use that don't cause my skin to have a hissy fit. No makeup, no problems, skin is clear for the most part. The dermatologist didn't provide me with cosmetic suggestions, that's what I was hoping for here. I will have to ask him next time then.

Thanks.

lylysa

In that case, I would advise looking into Tarte as I suggested in my original post.

Be also note that because you did mention having cystic acne I would still advise you seek the professional opinion of a doctor or dermatologist first  before starting anything new whether it's cosmetics or skin care related.

Again, research the line, find products you may think about trying, print out the ingredient list and bring it to your dermatologist.

kimmycats

Lylysa, what kind of diet are you on?  drinking enough water?
I eliminated diet cokes & increased water intake, on a wellness program which helped clear up my skin PLUS been using a face soap by Pharmagel for a few yrs now and use MAC Studio Fix powder foundation (they have a wide range of shades)

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Kimmycats, I think you got a bit mixed up, it's not me that is seeking advise, it's the user Nicole5184.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • kimmycats
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • Nicole5184
    • Nina091890