sherrybgood

A setting/foundation powder with some sheen?

I have hormonal acne and very dark scars from it, plus large pores, which gives my skin very uneven texture and tone.  I have found that attempting to cover my flaws only enhances them. I prefer sheer to medium coverage for making my skin look its best, and matte finish is a definite no-no.

My current makeup routine is to use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer or Bare Minerals foundation, depending on how my face is behaving that day and the weather outside. If I want extra coverage, I use Laura Mercier first, then finish with the Bare Minerals. Both of these products, when used alone or together, produce a kind of sheen you might call a dewy look. It is not matte at all and the sheen seems to blur imperfections.

I want to continue creating a similar sheen, but I need to change up my routine. I'm not happy with the colors I currently have, and I am wondering if I might be happier with different products.

Can you recommend any powder that can be used to set foundation or as foundation alone that has a minor sheen similar to Bare Minerals?  For the record, I have used Makeup Forever's Microfinish powder and Smashbox's Photo Set powder, and I really do not like them. They are too mattifying for me and definitely the opposite of what I want to achieve. Any suggestions are welcome!

beautylovingirl

Re: A setting/foundation powder with some sheen?

(0) Hearts

Also you could use the mineral veil that is the setting powder with the Bare Minerals.

kenny

I also have some acne scarring and some texture issues and I agree completely matte isn't all that flattering. And I like to use Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light (the soft yellow), it gives skin that really great "soft focus" effect.

Also a foundation you may really like is Lancome's Teint Miracle. It has sheer-medium coverage and gives skin a great glow without looking too oily or greasy.

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

My local JCP Sephora does not carry Hourglass.  I haven't tried any of their products but they are often recommended.  Next time I'm at a Sephora store, I've got to check 'em out!

mafan

(0) Hearts

If you want a soft sheen, definitely check out the Ambient Lighting Powder.  I have Dim Light as well and it is nice for a soft glow.  And I agree that the Korres Illuminating Powder is worth looking at, too.

aviscardi

I believe the LM loose minerals have a sheen and are not matte.

drrragon

Another option is Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders.  It's a finishing powder that gives a soft-focus effect and some of the shades are more sheen-y than others.  Dim and Diffused seem most popular for finishing powders (the others are probably more like luminizers).  I have Diffused myself (the yellow-based one) and it leaves a very subtle sheen, less than Bare Minerals but definitely not matte.

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Yes- this is what I was going to recommend!  I think it would be just what you're looking for @Sherrybgood.  If you can't find Hourglass in your local Sephora store, you can always order online! :smileyhappy: -Laura

Arlandria88

@sherrybgood---- You mentioned not liking the Make Up Forever Microfinish. I'm not sure if you dislike all Make Up Forever products, so this may not be helpful, but the new Pro Finish Multi Use Powder Foundation has that minor sheen that reminds me of the original Bare Minerals. That comparison was my first thought when I tried it.  

poshified

I LOVE the NARS pressed light reflecting setting powder! Some people say the loose version is better, but I don't have the patience of dealing with loose powder in the mornings :smileyhappy:

wingatprsct

I am currently using Korres Wild Rose Setting Powder and I love it!  It creates a flawless finish, but it is matte.  Korres also makes an illuminating powder that might work for you and it's a value for only $18 and a fairly large amount of product.  I haven't tried it yet, but would like to.  Laura Mercier also makes an illuminating tinted moisturizer, but Sephora online has several colors sold out.  I don't know if that means it's being discontinued or customers really like it and they can't keep it stocked.

Just a few suggestions....

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • kenny
    • aviscardi
    • drrragon
    • poshified
    • mafan