andyhtrieu

A different kind of primer....

This may or may not sound weird, but has anyone tried using Monistat chafing relief powder gel as a primer? I've seen some bloggers and youtubers use it, but i'm kinda sketchy. It's main ingredient is dimethicone, which is the main ingredient in a lot of other primers. Would it work in absorbing oil and helping me to stay matte? 

oklady2013

Re: A different kind of primer....

(0) Hearts

This is another of those things that could have long term consequences for your skin. This is formulated for a specific body area & not your face. I would not use something on my face that was formulated for skin below my neck.

marydiva

(0) Hearts

I would NOT use that as a primer. It's not intended for your face and your face is the last place you want to be putting sketchy products. 

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

IMO, I would avoid using products on my face that weren't meant to be on my face.  Just because the ingredient list is similar and/or the blogger du jour says he/she thinks it great to use, doesn't mean it's intelligent to use it.  The odds are good that it won't be as effective and even could be harmful.

m3rma1d

Please tell me this is an April Fools joke. :smileytongue:

crayzeeRN

Lol, nope! Do a google search :smileyhappy:

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

Waow.

talinder

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I do not find Monistat to perform as well as a primer and I am embarrassed that I ever tried it. Possessing the similar ingredients doesn't make them interchangeable. I'm sure they're present in varying amounts changing their outcome. Two cooks can use the same/similar ingredients, but their dish will not taste the same. :smileywink:

mlmac

(0) Hearts

I would not use this as a primer. 

kenny

Me too and I think there are a quite a few good drugstore primers now, so there isn't a need to try this.

Manda

(0) Hearts

I hear this and I twitch a bit. I don't think I would want it on my face, even with similar ingredients.

mberteig

I use it and like it.  I would put in as one of my top 3 primers, actually.  However, I am older and my skin is on the dry side.  It works great for me.  Not sure if that would be the case for those who are more on the oily side, though.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Andy how interesting!!!  No,..I haven't tried Monistat,...hmmmm.   I would like to hear from those that have tried it.   Today I'm using Freeze 24-7, Freeze & Go as my primer to see how it works.

I'm still looking for a HG primer.    The search continues!!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I just tried the Garnier blur primer and it is a very siliconey feel. Almost weird feeling. Silky but slippery. Not sure I like it and it kind of makes my cheeks itch. 

redwagon44

(0) Hearts

Honestly, I'm sticking with my belief that they are the exact same thing, or near close enough. The ingredients are so, so similar that it boggles my mind why anybody still uses the original smashbox primer. I tested on myself, couldn't even tell a difference between the two. Regardless, it won't cause issues with your skin, assuming that you haven't had any issues with the original smashbox as well. 

kbmatthews

I'm still on the fence about Monistat, because although there are similar ingredients, we don't know if the concentrations are the same. 

Also, Smashbox has additional ingredients, meaning it could actually increases the quality of the product or do something more than what the monistat one does.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I don't think it would be unsafe to use. 

jozkid

(0) Hearts

In the original Smashbox primer they have a couple of ingredients that sound all natural (Cola Acuminata Seed Extract and Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract), but are nothing but caffeine (from cola nuts and from green tea respectively). I have a very bad caffeine sensitivity (not allowed to ingest it at all) and placing it on my face where it can be absorbed is a very bad idea for me. I was really ticked off, too, because I really liked that primer!

I'm not advocating using the chafing gel on one's face, but sometimes extra ingredients aren't necessarily a good thing. I think everyone needs to be more aware of the ingredients in the products they're using.

redwagon44

I'm honestly not a big fan of 'dupes' or home recipes for stuff. The only reason I like this one is because I cannot tell a difference between the two products. And as to the added ingredients by smashbox, since I see no difference between the two products (I can't even say 'little difference' because I can't tell them apart) I can assume they added these ingredients to make it 'fancy'. 

I work in consumer product manufacturing. I've done formulation R&D for about a year, and manufacturing for about 2 years. We go through courses about what consumers expect from high end products, versus what we can 'get away with' with low end products. If someone is paying $50 for a high end lotion, they want to see a string of expensive sounding ingredients. If they want something 'natural', we use the non-chemical sounding names of ingredients and keep the list short. To put something on an ingredient list, it can be present in quantities as low as parts per million. So yes, maybe that string of ingredients at the end of the smashbox ingredient list do something, but my money is on the bet that they are added in droplets to tanks of the base mix. 

LariTheLoud

I would say just stick to Maybelline Baby Skin for drug store variety primer. 

mdelrosario91

A blogger, Brightest Bulb in the Box actually made a post on it a while back. She compared it with no primer and the Smashbox original primer. The Movistar actually performed WORSE than the control, and she was saying that it actually makes the makeup slide off your face! 

Its not formulated as a primer and even for use on the face, so it boggles my mind why people use it. 

garnett

What if the makeup chafe's your face?  Will it help then??  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 31 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • kenny
    • mberteig
    • marydiva
    • lyravega
    • Manda
    • jojobe