Answer
skinfreak
what is the best foundation for teens to cover acne?

I need a light liquid foundation that won't cake on my face, and just makes my skin look flawless! I don't have extremely troublesome acne, but it does bother me at times! I also have somewhat dry skin, do to the products i use to treat my acne, so when i put foundation over my acne, it can sometimes be noticeably dry. i also don't want to look like i have makeup on. Thanks!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
ilovetopurplefy
Answered

Hi! As a fellow teen I go through this everyday. I have been using the Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation and it is great! It is very light wearing on the skin, and it has a demi-matte finish which means its in between dewy and matte which is what normal skin looks like without makeup. It works for all skin types and does not look cakey unless you layer it more than 2 layers. It still lets your natural skin to show through it. It blurs imperfections also and gives a very nice glow. You can use any foundation brush with it but I really like using the Sigma F82 round kabuki brush or the Urban Decay Optical blurring brush. They buff the foundation into the skin instead of just buffing it on the surface for a nice no makeup airbrushed makeup finish. It is a bit pricey for a foundation but well worth it. It's $38 USD. Glad I could help

prettyinpa
Answered
@antoine- Referring to other people's posts as "chemical analysis" and advising to ignore other people's posts is pretty harsh. It is important to respect all other's opinions, this is is a non-judgement zone!
prettyinpa
Answered
I second the vote for Urban Decay's Naked Foundation, it feels light and airy, and doesn't break out my skin and I have been using it since it came out from UD. Gives nice coverage and you can build for more and I can wear sunscreen and moisturizer underneath without it balling up. Gets my thumbs up!
lylysa
Answered

How often do you exfoliate? Since your skin is dry but also has some acne/breakouts, try using a gycolic or beta hydroxy product.

Glycolic acid are fruit sugars that help to chemically exfoliate skin. In other words, the product does not rely on scrubbing agents that are physical that you actually feel like sugar granuals or things like crushed walnut shell powder, which can sometimes irritate break outs more. Glycolic acid also helps with brightening and evening out the skin tone.

Beta hydroxy helps with not only chemically exfoliating skin, but also clearing clogged pores, so it helps with acne as well. The most common beta hydroxy wash is salicylic acid, which is common in most acne treatment products.

Anthony Logistics has a glycolic cleanser that I love, it's super gentle and very refreshing and helps with fading post acne marks. Peter Thomas Roth makes a few cleansers with glycolic acid and beta hydroxy acid to exfoliate and aid in clearing skin. Studio Gear (Ulta, Macys, Dillards) has beta hydroxy pads that you can swipe onto skin prior to make up application to help take off dry skin. I've seen those products work miracles, I've used them and have recommended it to others who also swear by them.

Try using these types of products/cleansers maybe 1-2 times a week to start with as your exfoliating process. If you find your skin is still dry and giving you issues, try moving it to 2-3 times a week.

Look into giving BB creams a try, short for "Blemish Balms". These give a very natural appearance to the skin, but help with evening tone, improving the look of texture, and help with troubled skin without wearing a mask of make up.

A good primer will also help your make up lay smoothly onto skin, I'm a fan of Too Faced's Primed and Poreless (pink tube), the silicone/dimethicone formula leaves skin silky and forms a barrier over problem areas so dry skin or uneven acne areas won't disrupt your make up wear.

berniebeauty
Answered
[ Edited ]

I dont normally get acne, so I'm not sure if this would help to cover that, but I used tinted moisturizers or BB creams because they help make my dry skin feel more moisturized. I have combination skin though, so I have oily zones on my skin, especially on my nose, and when I use BB creams I've noticed it doesnt make those parts feel more oily, so I don't think it would aggravated the acne. I'm just not sure if it would cover it completely. 

BB creams are very light, and when I wear them I can barely feel it on my skin, so I think they have the look you want. I would get a sample to try out first though.

~~We are all beautiful~~

antoine0000
Answered

skinfreak wrote:

I need a light liquid foundation that won't cake on my face, and just makes my skin look flawless! I don't have extremely troublesome acne, but it does bother me at times! I also have somewhat dry skin, do to the products i use to treat my acne, so when i put foundation over my acne, it can sometimes be noticeably dry. i also don't want to look like i have makeup on. Thanks!!

Hello :

You want a "discreet" look , not to show the makeup.  I would suggest a super-market brand such as Loreal or Maybelline make sure that it says water-based and that they match your skin tone excactly.

Not much to do with make up over acne=--  one way is to moisturize it just a bit before your foundation .  Stay on the light side of the moisturizers also.  Hope this helps.... You don't want / need anything complicated and this should more than do the job.  Don't worry about the others and their "chemical analysis" !

Good Luck in school,

Antoine

lylysa
Answered
(0) Hearts

In regards to my post and calling it a "chemical analysis", along with your personal message to me reinforcing that yes, the original poster wanted foundation suggestions, please note that your suggestion also of just moisturizing skin, though beneficial and crucial in any skin care procedure, can only do so good on acne prone skin that is also experiencing dry patches or areas.

Think of it like this, if you have dry areas, you may think the first step is to moisturize, which isn't wrong, but if there are layers upon layers of dry skin, a moisturizer can only sink in so much. That is where my exfoliation suggestion came in. If you start with a proper skin care routine to where you not only moisturize, but cleanse, exfoliate, and treat, your skin can be smoother and start with less issue to where one doesn't have to soley rely on make up alone to fix an issue.

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 13 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • skinfreak
    • antoine0000
    • berniebeauty
    • lylysa
    • ilovetopurplefy