Answer
vernaajess
do you need to moisturize before a tinted moisturizer?

so i'm thinking of changing my makeup routine to suit the summer heat. do you think it would be okay on my extremely oily skin to just hop out of the shower, put on BE Prime Time Original, Tarte Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer, set with Tarte PM20 Amazonian Clay, and spray with UD All-nighter? Do I need to moisturize before primer? And is it okay to just apply primer onto bare skin?

thanks guys!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
beautifulbabe
Answered
I have extremely oily skin too, and personally I would put on oil-free moisturizer underneath... Something gentle, maybe like Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. It's inexpensive and effective, and doesn't leave my face feeling disgustingly shiny. However, if you don't want to use a moisturizer, you can apply primer on to bare skin (I recommend using something similar to Korres Pomegranate Cleansing & Make Up Removing Wipes For Oily And Combination Skin... I know that they remove makeup, but they'll remove all of the oil and dirt off of your face before you put your makeup on). Hope I helped and good luck!(:
oliviabt
Answered
[ Edited ]

Hi vernaajess. That's a great question! One of my best friends uses the Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer and she swears she doesn't need mosturizer underneath. I myself have combination/oily skin and find that my skin still needs the added hydration from a moisturizer or serum, like the Make Up For Ever HD Elixer is amazing. It's really up to you!

XO,
Olivia
tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi, vernaajess.  Since you have an oily skin type (like me), I don't see any reason at all that you would need to apply a moisturizer before applying your primer and tinted moisturizer because tinted moisturizers are very moisturizing all on their own and are sometimes even so much so that oily-skinned people have a hard time wearing them without looking extra oily.  It is absolutely fine to wear primer applied to your bare skin.  If you're happy with your current primer, that's great.  However, if you are having any problems with oiliness breaking through during the day, I would swap to a good oil-controlling primer to wear under your tinted moisturizer, such as Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer or Make Up For Ever All Mat Primer to help keep your oiliness under control.  Below are the links where you can find them:

Make Up For Ever All Mat Foundation Primer which you can read more about at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P169809&categoryId=B70

Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer which you can read all about at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=RBWSFQGW0KMH2CV0KSKBPIQ?id=P231022&categoryId=B70

If you already have a tinted moisturizer that you love, that's great.  However, just in case you're on the lookout for a good tinted moisturizer that works well with oily skin, I wanted to let you know about Urban Decay Urban Defense Tinted Moisturizer which is a wonderful, lightweight tinted moisturizer that gives you an even-toned, dewy, radiant complexion without full-on foundation.  The light diffusing pigments in it diffuse the look of fine lines, wrinkles and imperfections for a natural dewy finish, while the buildable coverage it offers lets you wear it alone (great for warm weather) or under powder for a more polished look.  This paraben-free and fragrance-free tinted moisturizer contains SPF 20 to protect you from the sun’s harmful, aging rays, as well as a multi-mineral complex that battles free radical damage.  This tinted moisturizer not only makes your skin look great, but is also healthy for your skin, too.  It comes in a good selection of colors, which you can find here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P286103&categoryId=B70

Hope this helps!  :smileyhappy:

adrutter
Answered
(0) Hearts

It is best to moistuirize the skin because no matter if it is hot and humid outside, your skin still needs moisture. In the winter, gel lotions are better, in the summer, light lotions are best. I would just apply a very small amount, like the size of a small pea and just let it soak into your skin before putting on any make-up.

waterbaby1981
Answered
(0) Hearts

I make sure to moisturize with a combo moisturizer with SPF of 25 or higher before I slip on my tinted moisturizer (Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 combination oily to oily is a great choice for your skin), but tinted moisturizer on bare skin is good too.  I would recommend at least a sunscreen SPF 25 or more underneath it though.

jbyrne
Answered
(0) Hearts

The joys of summer, to changing up our routines. I love the summer but its a nightmare for makeup. In regards to your question, no you do not need to moisturize right after cleansing your face if you are going to be placing a primer as well as a tinted moisturizer on top.  A really good primer that is hydrating and is lightweight is the Laura mercier hydrating foundation primer. It is a lightweight primer that feels like a lotion so you are getting basically a moisturizer and a primer all is one. You can read more about it here on sephora. http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P151915&categoryId=B70#BVRRWidgetID  After using this primer, you can just go ahead and use your normal products that you love and have found works best for you.   Its always good to mix and match because some products have better results than others.   I love the Laura mercier primer. It works the best for me in hot climates. Its important to use a primer because it helps the makeup stay on longer and gives you a smoother look and wont make you look oily either. If you are self conscious about looking oily, keep blotting papers in your purse. :smileyhappy:

hope this helps.

prettyinpa
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have oily skin also and find that if I put on a moisturizer before my primer, I look greasy a lot sooner than if I didn't!  Summer heat only makes it worse. As tenngal recommended, I use the Givenchy Mister Mat primer and find it makes my makeup last much longer. I don't get breakouts from putting primer directly on skin, just make sure that you get all your makeup off each evening before bed. If I slack on cleansing properly in the evening, that's when my skin objects with increased blemishes and blackheads. 

Hope this helps!

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • tenngal
    • adrutter
    • prettyinpa
    • vernaajess
    • beautifulbabe
    • waterbaby1981