Answer
uchechi
Primer vs. "Setting" Powder

A friend asked me why I had both primer and powder (MUFE HD Microfinish) if both of them are supposed to 'set' my foundation?  That's a good question I haven't found an answer to yet.  Could someone help me out?

Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
6aad0801
Answered

Hi there!  This is sorta like asking if you should use a base coat or a top coat for your nail polish :smileywink:

They are so different!  A makeup primer can be used on it's own to blur redness, protect the skin from sun damage (some contain spf), mattify the skin, but at the very fundamental level a primer provides an even adhesive surface to apply all your makeup onto.  I like the NARS primer as it does all of these things beautifully!

A setting powder is useful as a sheer layer on top of concealer and liquid foundation so that it won't break apart and also it creates a nice 'skin-like' finish.

So, if you want your makeup to stay on all day and into the night or you have issues requiring an extra prep step use a makeup primer beforehand.

If you want to just use concealer and a pressed powder for a minimal makeup the powder will act as a setting powder.

The trick to having lasting makeup is to layer, so some sort of loose or pressed powder should be your final 'setting' step.  A primer is the optional part (but a good one like the NARS eyeshadow base primer or Pro-prime mattifying primer can be an advantageous step!)

hope that helps!

:smileyhappy:

islandqt
(0) Hearts
aaaaaaaah base coat/ top coat. great analogy!
uchechi
(0) Hearts
Thanks! I use both anyways but I figured I had to since I have a face that pours oil but I could. I just didn't know the technical reason why people do it.
Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 12 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • uchechi
    • islandqt
    • maltipoo66
    • 6aad0801