Answer
Jel1
Primer, powder, or setting spray?

I'm going to the Bahamas for a rave (exciting I know!) and I am looking for something that will make my makeup last, possibly all day and night (with minor touch ups if needed) through the dancing and the heat. I am in the search of a new foundation (leaning towards MUFE HD or MAC Matchmaster) but am more concerned with setting my foundation. I have combination skin, oily in the T-zone after a few hours after washing and normal everywhere else.

I have never used a face primer. Is this just for creating a smooth/perfecting base or does it make foundation last longer? Also, do you find that oil absorbing or matte primers extend your foundation wear?

I am thinking about purchasing a translucent powder for everyday (work) makeup days? Does this extend foundation life? Any pressed powder suggestions?

I am VERY interesting in try Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray? What are your thoughts? Does it make foundation stay longer?

Which products or combination (not interested in using all three!) of products do you think will help make my foundation last longer?

This is a lot. I know. I appreciate your responses greatly. THANK YOU!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
makeupobesessed
Answered

They all do different things, but my choice would be the setting spray.  I use the UD deslick, and I haven't had an issue.  I almost want to try another just to see, but I don't want to mess with a good thing.  I'd never go without primer bc that seems to set my foundation better, the powder I could do without if I had to.  I use all three when I have time.  However, on vacation I'd just go with the setting spray bc I tend to sweat a lot and it seems to help very much.

lylysa
Answered

To help your make up last longer, try starting off with a mattifying/oil control gel prior to make up application.

Urban Decay (Deslick in a Tube) and Peter Thomas Roth make oil control/shine gels that can be applied to targetted, oily spots on skin before your make up.

Then follow up with a primer, silicone/dimethicone primers are great form forming a barrier over skin to prevent external and internal factors from affecting the wear of make up such as heat, sweat, cold, dry skin, oil, fine lines, acne, etc. Benefit's Porefessional is great for oily/combo skin and can even be tapped on top of skin/make up to absorb oil if you don't want to use pwoder or blotting sheets throughout the day. Silicone/dimethicone primers have a very silky texture, about a pea sized amount is all your need.

I would lean more to MUFE for foundation, MAC is a little heavy to me, and ever since Estee Lauder took over the brand the formulas just don't feel the same in my opinion. I've also worked with MUFE on photo shoots, events (weddings, for example), and outings and it wears really well, and photographs great!

For pressed powder, if you plan on carrying one around to control shine or for touch ups, go with a translucent powder so you're not caking on more and more color every time you use it. Urban Decay makes a Deslick powder and Too Faced makes one called Absolutely Invisible, which is loaded with anitoxidants and sea botanicals to condition skin. Both feel light weight and won't make your skin look powdery or dry.

There is also the option for blotting sheets, be careful though, if you tend to be heavy handed on make up and then have excessive oil, sometimes the papers can "lift" your make up and you'll have to touch up, you want to use gentle pressure to blot always to prevent this. You can also use the Benefit Porefessional primer as mentioned above too!

If you wanted a powder with color to use as a finishing powder over a liquid or as a powder foundation, try Benefit's Hello Flawless! It comes with two applicators, a brush and sponge, a brush for lighter application, and sponge for fuller/heavier coverage. It is infused with SPF and very silky!

The UD All Nighter Spray is great! Def worth the investment, they also have a Deslick, oil control version that my friends with combo/oily skin swear by!

jollister
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Rave in the Bahamas--sounds fun!!

Well, I have oily skin too and have not found a totally perfect foundation mostly due to color match, but have some suggestions For long-wear...

-Dior Airflash foundation or Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo - they are both tricky to apply, but with some practice, the results are great and long lasting.  The primer does both that you mention.  Dior can use just about any primer,  but use a silica type primer like Smashbox with KVD.  Apply with a foundation or flat stippling brush using very little foundation.  

- for lids, MUFE Eye Seal.  Apply  it to your lids, wait a few until it is tacky and then apply shadows.  You can also mix the Eye Seal with the shadow to create intense long lasting color also.  Aqua seal prevents caking and creasing for hours.  I like a waterproof liquid liner to finish. 

- For cheeks, I prefer stains like Benefit Cha Cha tint or Posie tint

- for lips, there are stains you can use as a base and apply a long wear lipstick over.

- I would only use powder for touching up, my fav is MUFE Duo Mat (this is a good foundation choice on its own too), but I would definitely use a setting spray like All Nighter, or the DeSlick is good too.  Another good touch up would be Givinchy Mr. Matte or L Mercier Secret Finish

hope this helps!...and have a great time!!! :smileywink:

makeupobesessed
Answered
(0) Hearts

They all do different things, but my choice would be the setting spray.  I use the UD deslick, and I haven't had an issue.  I almost want to try another just to see, but I don't want to mess with a good thing.  I'd never go without primer bc that seems to set my foundation better, the powder I could do without if I had to.  I use all three when I have time.  However, on vacation I'd just go with the setting spray bc I tend to sweat a lot and it seems to help very much.

ifashionista
Answered
(0) Hearts
I like to do a lot of raging too hehe and usually it's during the summer so it's extremely hot and totally bad for makeup :3 I have combination skin as well and I find that the MUFE Mist + Fix works much better than the UD All Nighter. I've used it with my MAC Studio Fix, (I stopped using it and started using Kat Von D's Lock-it Foundation, better coverage, not cakey, doesn't transfer onto clothing and lasts longer - in case you were wondering lol). I've tried MAC Matchmaster and I found that it was similar to the Studio Fix but slightly less coverage, so I'm sure it will do well with the MUFE Mist + Fix. It's made my foundation last much much. Sometimes I like using MUFE's HD Microfinishing Powder instead. I'd suggest using that if you're skin tends to be oily because it will give a great matte finish. It works nicely into a daily makeup routine (:

As for pressed powders for daily use and what not, I really think Shisedo's Translucent Powder is a pretty solid choice. It gives my face a silky texture after I apply it. But If you're looking for something with color, I like Benefit's Hello Flawless Powder and NYX also has some good powders too.

All in all, out of your two choice's for foundation - I recommend the MAC Matchmaster and MUFE Mist + Fix, but I think the MUFE HD Powder is a better choice in warmer weather. BE's Prime Time and Smashbox's Primer also work as good bases, but I find that I don't need them when I used a finishing powder.

Hope this helps! Good luck xx
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • jollister
    • ifashionista
    • lylysa
    • makeupobesessed
    • Jel1