Answer
cupcake123
Accepted Solution
How do I contour?

I really want to learn how to contour my cheek bones! I have a tiny nose, so I don't need to contour that, but how do I do the cheekbones?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
tenngal
Answered

You asked how to contour your cheekbones, but I thought I'd throw in a little additional information about contouring in case you want to experiment with it in other places beside your cheeks.  Contouring is one of the oldest practices in the makeup industry and everybody does it a little differently, plus it’s one of the most frequently left-out steps in makeup application.  Contouring creates a sense of balance, adding definition to your makeup with color.  Contrary to belief, contouring should always be done with some shade of brown.  Never use shades of makeup such as pink, plum etc.  Use a shade that is similar to your skin tone, when it is tan, when contouring.  Contouring makeup is usually applied on the temple area, nose, eyes and chin areas. You can use a cream or liquid contouring makeup, however, powder or mineral powders give a smooth, satin finish and are easier to blend.

Highlighting works with contouring.  For example, when you contour your cheeks, you apply contour in the hallow area and highlight the apples. You also highlight the brow bone to open the eye and give depth to the crease area.

Contouring can be done in different ways, but a simple guide to follow when contouring is:

• To contour your nose: To slim your nose you would apply the contouring shade on each side of your nose, blending carefully, and the highlighter down the center of your nose.
  • To contour your cheekbones: To enhance the cheekbones, suck in your cheeks, apply a darker shade to the hollows and a highlighter to the top of the cheekbones. Then apply blush as normal. Don't over due it!
  • To contour your forehead: If you have a wide forehead, apply a light bronzer to each temple and blend. This will create a shadow effect causing the head to look more rounded.
  • To contour your chin: For a small, thin chin, apply highlighter to the center of the chin, directly under the center of the lip. To minimize a double chin, apply bronzer along the jaw line and blend it down, towards your neck. This creates depth and helps to strengthen the jaw line. You should always apply contouring color on your neck to your shirt line to avoid a "mask" look.
  • To contour your eyes: Used at the back corner of the eye going upward toward the temple.
  • To contour your lips: To slim full lips, apply a deep shade of lip color to the entire lip. If you want to plump up thin lips, you can apply a light lip color with shimmer or gloss. Then apply highlighter between the peaks of the upper lip and below the center of the lower lip. This makes thin lips look full and gives a pouty appearance.

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • katimae
    • vivic0la
    • cupcake123
    • ladyyaya1
    • makemeupmeg