Answer
danimazz
Foundation Recommendation for Combo Skin?
(0) Hearts

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good foundation that will work well with skin that is combination.  I have particularly flaky (but still oily) areas on and around my nose that just look awful under foundation.  I'm not picky about coverage, so long as I don't look cakey. 

Right now I'm leaning toward MUFE HD Foundation....good choice?

Hoping to take advantage of the 15% off this Thursday to get whichever I decide to go with.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
lylysa
Answered

The MUFE HD is a good place to start, but if your skin is flaky to any degree, you might look to balance it out first with skin care products rather than look for a foundation to cover up the issue as what may work for your oily spots, might emphasize the dry/flaky areas and vice versa.

Foundation primers can also help to even out your skin's texture to a certain degree depending on the formulation.

Do you exfoliate your skin any? If so, how often and what do you use? What's your day/night skin care regimen? Do you use a primer?

danimazz
Thanks for the reply!

I've been trying to nail down a skin care regimen that will take care of all these issues for a while now. I know that makeup won't cover it, I'm just in the market for a new foundation :smileyhappy:

Right now, my night skin care involves an eye make up remover, followed by cleansing with my Clarisonic and a soap-free cleanser. Then I use Hydraluron (from Indeed Labs) to deal with the dehydrated skin. After that, I moisturize with Korres Greek Yogurt Moisturizer (SA recommended it to help balance my skin). Once a week, I use the St. Ives Apricot scrub.

I use the moisturizer in the morning as well.
lylysa
The St. Ives scrub can be quite coarse on skin, you might look to switch to a jojoba bead scrub (Peter Thomas Roth) or one with gentle sugar polymers (Boscia's Facial Smoothing Polish) for something that still physically breaks down dry/flaking skin, but has smoother particles as to not scratch at the delicate surface of skin.

Try using a silicone/dimethicone based primer that will help mattify/absorb oil but also form a barrier over dry portions like Too Faced's Primed & Poreless (pink tube), which is a good balance for combo skin.

You might also look into Tarte's foundations. Their Maracuja foundation is real nourishing while their Amazonian Clay foundation gives fuller coverage but also has hydrating ingredients as to not dry out skin. Check out those two along with the HD foundation in stores when you visit so you can compare and see which would work best for your skin!
danimazz
Thanks for all your help and product recommendations!

The Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation is kind of what prompted me to post this - I have it on today and noticed that it is clinging to flaky parts of my skin that i didn't even know were flaky until I applied this :smileysad:

Thanks again!
roxystar4
I like using a peel to smooth out my skin (i like Mychelle Pumpkin peel best) and then moisturize.
lylysa
Try the Maracuja one then if you're still interested in Tarte's products.

Or play with using primer to see if that helps smooths down dry areas. I have heard that the MUFE HD foundation will still show areas if they are indeed dry or flaky, and since foundations will merely reflect and wear to the best of their ability depending on the actual skin underneath, your best fix might be tackling texture itself at the source.
lylysa
Ooo, wanted to add, Too Faced's liquid foundation is really natural on the skin, it's not heavy or cakey either.
Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 9 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • beautylovingirl
    • danimazz
    • lmevans