Answer
vngars
Accepted Solution
Foundation: Liquid vs.. Powder
(0) Hearts

I have been using bareMinerals original SPF 15 foundation for some time now, and am ready for a change. What are the pros and cons of liquid foundation vs powder? I was not too satisfied with the coverage I got from bareMinerals, and I have the sense that liquid foundation would have fuller coverage, but also be harsher/heavier on skin. How do the two kinds compare?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
babybear04
Answered

Here's my two cents on liquid foundation.  First off, it does indeed provide much more coverage than powder foundations--it evens out skintone, hides most blemishes/imperfections, and can sometimes give skin a dewy appearance.  Liquid foundation is also good in terms that it's usually longer lasting than powder--it doesn't fade as quickly and gives the face a pop of color.  However, some negatives are that on more dry or mature skin, liquid foundation can appear cakey or almost flaky, which isn't a good thing as you can guess.  I've also found that on people with super duper oily skin, liquid foundations can exacerbate that, making skin appear even more oily than it already is.  In addition, I've found that people whose skin is very sensitive to a bunch of ingredients/chemicals in products (like me) can react negatively to liquid foundation--for me, it acts like a layer of plastic wrap, not letting anything in or out...basically, liquid foundation clogs my pores like no other, even after trying dozens and dozens of brands/different products.  But this isn't the case for everyone--everyone's skin is different, and a lot of people have no problem with liquid foundation--I just happen to be one of those people cursed with skint that is extremely prone to pore clogging.  

Like I said, everyone's skin is different and there's no telling how your skin is going to react to a certain product unless you try it.  If you need more coverage than you're getting from powders, I'd definitely look into some liquid foundations.  Give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work for you/you don't like the feeling of it, default back to powders.  But if you're concerned about your skin not liking liquid foundation, you can also look into other powders that you might like better than Bare Minerals (in my experience, I really disliked bare minerals...I liked the concept, but since the whole mineral powder trend boomed, a lot of other companies have created products that are very similar to, or even better than Bare Minerals).

Another thought:  Have you looked into any type of Tinted moisturizer or BB cream?  They are much ligher than normal liquid foundations, but will still provide more coverage than powder.  Most of them have a lot of benefits too like SPF, anti-aging, moisturization, oil control, etc.  Also, if you want to stick with powder, you could try introducing some sort of concealer into your routine to hide any imperfections/even out the areas that need it.

Below I've listed a couple products I really like!

Liquid Foundation:

Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation

MAKE UP FOR EVER - HD Invisible Cover Foundation

Tinted Moisturizer:

Bobbi Brown SPF Tinted Moisturizer

Bobbi Brown - SPF 15 Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20

Laura Mercier - Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20

BB Cream:

Bobbi Brown BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 35

BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 35

Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm SPF 20

Too Faced - Tinted Beauty Balm SPF 20

Concealer:

Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Full Cover Concealer

Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer

Hourglass - Hidden Corrective Concealer

Powder: 

Tarte Provocateur Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 8

Korres Wild Rose Compact Powder

Korres - Wild Rose Compact Powder

Lorac Face Powder

LORAC - Face Powder

Hope this helps and best of luck!

P.S. sorry for the long post!

Answers: 1
beautylovingirl
Answered

Hi vngars,

Normally liquid foundations is going to be for drier skin, I wore bare minerals along time to and changed to MAC studiofix powder foundation because I have oily skin. I chose the MAC because of the coverage and also because I feel like I'm not wearing any thing and that's a big plus for me. Personal opinion.:smileyhappy: But liquid foundation doesn't control oil as well as a powder foundation does and does not stay on as well as powdered foundation. It's all a matter of choice depending on your skin, you can choose from the liquid and powder foundations. One more thing I can take my compact of powdered foundation if I need a quick touch up but normally I don't. Hope this helps!

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 2 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • babybear04
    • beautylovingirl
    • vngars