Contour for very pale skin?

Hi! I need a countour color to put under my cheekbone for that high cheek bone look... but  it always looks like a harsh line or really muddy i tried hoola by benefit & it breaks me out plus its too dark PLEASE HELP!? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 17
Answered

I know how many women feel when they say that their contouring powder is too warm for them. I am very pale, so pale that YSL's foundation bd10 can only fit my skin. 

I recommend the following:

buy concealer that is two to three shades darker than your skin tone and apply it where you need to contour. Then, apply foundation on top and blend it together. You will find that the contour is now natural and doesn't look like powder was applied to the face.

If you are cool toned, stick to a cooler, darker shaded concealer. If you are warm toned, go for a warmer, darker concealer shade. 1.jpgThis is how professional make-up artists do contouring and highlighting. They do this first, then they put foundation on top and blend. Hope this helped guys!

Answered

This sounds crazy but I've used Omega eyeshadow by MAC and it works perfectly for my skin tone. I'm very pale. 

Answered

Honestly, I think the brush is key! I'm fairer than fair, and I always thought that any kind of bronzing or contouring powder I tried was too dark and muddy on me -- until I tried a bigger, fluffier brush that picked up less product. If you try applying it this way, the color won't be as intense as it is with a traditional bronzing brush, and it looks much more natural. A bronzer that I initially cast aside for being too dark (that I now love) is NARS Laguna -- and Benefit Hoola, for that matter. Hoola is completely matte, and NARS has a touch of shimmer, but you can still use it to contour (typically, you should use a powder with no shimmer to contour, but Laguna still works for me).

Good luck! : )

Answered
[ Edited ]

I personally use a powder foundation that is a few shades darker than my skin tone (Snow White fair here too), and have heard of others doing something similar!

Answered

To reiterate what someone has already mentioned bronzer is not necessarily contouring powder. Most bronzers will be too warm or you and look unnatural or take lots of blending. Look for cool toned or grey-brown (taupe) powders. I know Chanel made one, but it was limited edition and incredibly hard to find now. You could also try NYX blush in Taupe. Or get creative and use a matte eyeshadow in the right shade. Or what I also do, is use a foundation in the same tone as your skin, just a few shades darker.

Answered

A bronzer is NOT the same things as a contouring powder. I know it is often confused. Many many many people can get away with using a bronzer due to their skin tone. Bronzers are warm tone. They are meant to go right about where blush goes. You can use bronzer alone, or with a blush. Anything warm, red/orange/peachy/pink/orangey brown red brown, yellow brown and so on, is going to bring features forward. Warm colors bring out features. Cool Colors push back features. A cool tone color is what you are looking for. The most common colors in Pro make for contouring are grey-brown and cooler browns. A very popular contouring color for pale skin is TAUPE by NYX (I am ordering this as we speak) it is only 6 bucks. It is a grey pale brown. Google it for swatches. You could look at Pro palettes. I would suggest looking at an eyeshadow in a cool/paler brown and use a fan brush to sweep it under the bone. A little goes a long way on paler skin. I should know.

Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm very pale as well (MAC NW13/MUFE 115 to be exact) and I have found that MAC's sculpting powder in bone beige works wonders. It's a very light taupe/grey ish color that looks very natural for sculpting my face. When I get tan in the summer I can use the sculpting powder in the shade sculpt and it looks very natural as well. Everything else I find to be too muddy looking. Hope this helps! 

Answered
(0) Hearts

For the record, I'm very pale and find NYX Taupe blush too reddish and dark. On my skin it looks muddy and is hard to blend, even with appropriate brushes and plenty of powder. I'm looking for a liquid makeup to use for contouring, as you can blend it with your usual foundation, and I think it looks more natural. The difficulty will be finding one that is cool enough, as most darker foundations oxidize and end up looking too orange on pale skin. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm just going off of what others have said; you don't need a bronzer! I am extremely pale and, after years of heartbreak over this very thing, I finally found that powders/ stick contours with very cool (pink) or even a slight grey cast to them work the best for me personally. PixieDevil mentioned using Omega eyeshadow by MAC, and I totally agree. Also, don't forget to blend until the cows come home Smiley Happy

Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm super pale, too, with pink undertones & most (almost all- even Laguna) bronzers are too warm. I've read that NYX's taupe blush is amazing for a cool contouring powder. I'm ordering it soon (no NYX nearby) but in the mean time I'm using my tarte bronzer UNDER my foundation. I saw it on a blog & it works! Trick is to put the foundation on with a blender sponge (think Beauty Blender) & it won't rub the bronzer off. I was so happy to FINALLY not be orange.

Answered
(0) Hearts

Do you have any light soft matte brown powder eye shadows?

If it looks nice on your eyes, chances are it may work on the hollow of your cheekbones.

I use powder eye shadow to contour & highlight. 

Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm also very light. I would try Bare Minerals Warmth. It shouldn't break you out. I find that it looks a little too dark on me if I use it all over my face as they recommend, but for contouring and/or blush, I'm guessing it would be amazing! Side note: I also use it as an eye color sometimes and if/when you get darker, you could use it all over. It's a pretty versatile little product. I hope this helps!

Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm very pale as well, I use Too Faced's Chocolate Soleil bronzer, the color looks great on me. But sometimes while I'm blending it out I notice it can look a little orange. Maybe it's my imagination.. whenever I'm done with my makeup it always looks great, don't get me wrong. You could always try buying a matte powder foundation in a darker shade. 

Answered
(0) Hearts

In my opinion, if you are willing to spend a bit more, try Burberry's blush in EARTHY. It's amaaaaazing for pale skin. 

Answered
(0) Hearts

go with a foundation/ face powder that is in the same undertone as you skin but a few shades darker. good luck!

Answered
(0) Hearts

GlowFusion Bronzer is a gorgeous bronzer made with a blend of naturally-derived ingredients, for instance, Vitamin C diminishes dark spots and enhances skin tone, while Vitamin E fights free radicals and prevents premature aging.  It is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores and shouldn't cause you to break out and it comes in a nice soft color for light skin called Golden.  You can take a look at it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P178406&categoryId=B70

I hope this helps you. Smiley Happy

Answered
(0) Hearts

I am really pale as well, so I feel your pain. However, I use my NARS Laguna bronzer as a contour shade. What I like about it is that you can build the color up to your liking and that while there is a "shimmer" to it, it is not noticable at all. I promise! I use either a smaller contour brush or sometimes even my angled blush brush underneath my cheeck bones. A good tip is that if you hold the brush closer to the end of the handle, you'll get less pressure, which means less color when applying. That way it is easier to build the color up rather than putting on too much at once. And while the Sephora Collection Bronzer blush is great, do not use that for contouring, especially with pale skin! Use something smaller, like this angled brush or this contour brush. Good luck!

Question Stats
Photos1
  • 1.jpg