Answer
daniluv
Blush for every day use (light/medium skin)

Hello again...

Well, some of you are following my steps on my new make-up life.

Now its time to chose an everyday blush, one to carry on my purse for touch ups through out the day.

Since I am new on this make-up daily routine kind of thing, I am afraind of cream blushes. It reminds me the 70's... and I am afraid of getting all blocthy and pinky read, and mess-up bad (should I be afraid?)  Are powder blushes so much safer?

What color would you recommend for an everyday use ? I am light to medium color skinned.  I am not very concerned with price but with the quality of products I use on my face since I have rosecea and I am almost 50 .  (my husband is laughing hard saying I am only 47 and all the responses will start as "hello grandma" LOL.  Please dont...   LOL

Thanks for any input, tips and comments you can help me with.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]

I love cream blush, and I bet it's come a long way since the 70s -- so you shouldn't necessarily fear it! My favorite cream blushes are by NARS -- Penny Lane is a perfect-for-every-day nude pink with a hint of peach. This is my go-to shade, because it's impossible to mess it up (I'm really fair, so it can look overdone really easily). My current favorite, though, is Cactus Flower. Don't let the bright red color intimidate you; it's actually quite beautiful once it's blended. I use the tiniest dab (!) and blend with my fingertips, and it leaves a really pretty flush on my cheeks. Both of these can be worn every day.

If you prefer to stick to powder blush, some of my favorite every day blushes are NARS Douceur, NARS Deep Throat, Laura Mercier Wild Bouquet (rosy brown), and Bobbi Brown in Pale Pink. I also like the new Tarte Amazonian Clay blushes -- you might want to take a look at them, too!

I've learned (more recently than I care to admit) that with blush, application is key, even more so than color. Of course, it's always good to wear a shade that flatters your undertone -- but the right brush can make all the difference between blush looking clownish and streaky to natural and glowing. When I switched to a fluffier, fuller brush, I found that even shades like NARS Exhibit A (terrifying in the compact) were wearable on my porcelain-colored skin (previously I would have never thought I could pull off a shade like that).

NOTE: I don't have rosacea, but as far as I know, none of the blushes from the lines I mentioned -- NARS, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier -- should bother sensitive skin -- but you never know -- so test it carefully.

: )

officegal
Answered

Powder and cream can both be subtle but it depends on the shade and application technique more than the texture.  I personally love carrying cream blush because you don't have to carry a brush nor depend on the crappy little brushes that come with a powder.

As for the fear of the '70s... well, trends come and go and come back again, so you're in luck!  You don't have to wear it the same way as back then of course but I was just reading a beauty blog about the return of the fresh '70s look.  :smileywink:

I recommend a cream blush like Stila Convertible Color in subtle shades such as "Gerbera" or "Lillium."  I'm light/medium skin as well and wear "Peony" which can look obvious if overapplied, but start with a very small dab and take the time to blend carefully and you'll end up with a beautiful natural look with a kind of glow that some powders can't mimic.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P8426&categoryId=C12181&shouldPaginate=true

Anyway, your husband doesn't have to be afraid of us calling you grandma - we're not all teenagers here.  :smileywink:  Good luck!

tamikay
Answered

I turned 50 in Sept. and like you, remember the cream blushes of the 70's.  I just started using them again in the past year. lol!  use the pink spongey Beauty Blender to apply a cream blush.  Just blot it on the blush then blot it on your cheeks like you are using a stippling brush (which you can also use the same way).  The Beauty Blender makes application so easy with no pink fingers.  I wet the sponge really well, squeeze out excess water, squeeze inside a dry towel.  I have alot of brushes but have not had success using these with cream blushes, but very easy with the Beauty Blender.  This also makes the application of liquid foundations a piece of cake also.  Apply foundation to back of hand then dab with Beauty Blender and apply to face the same as the blush in a blotting way.  When I use a powder blush I use a flat head brush to blend.  Always use a blender brush to blend in powder foundations and blushes. Just makes makeup so much more natural looking without blotches and misses.  A light up magnifying mirror is one of my favorite tools also.  I got mine at CVS for about $20.  Hope this helps.  Dont give up.  Just practice and have fun.

tenngal
Answered

Hi, daniluv!  A great everyday blush (which is a light pink that flatters almost all skin tones) is Make Up For Ever's Powder Blush in the shade Soft Pink 97.  I seriously wear it almost everyday myself because it's such a soft, natural-looking pink.  You can take a look at it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12634&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4028

However, if you want a blush to carry in your purse then you may not want to carry a powder blush and a blush brush in your purse.  A good everyday blush to carry with you in your purse is Make Up For Ever's HD Microfinish Blush in shade 13 Smooth Talker.  It is a sheer cream blush that you can find at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P258100&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4028

I hope this helps you and I'm glad you're still having fun with makeup! :smileyhappy:

islandqt
Answered

Hey Gra...oh right.. hehe :smileyhappy:

I find it interesting that you want an "everyday" blush. I'm going to assume that you mean a blush that is not too vivid or vibrant/shocking.

First let me say that any blush can be an "everyday" blush once you apply it very lightly with the right brush.

If you own a fan brush, stippling brush or a big fluggy (but still pointed) blush brush then that's 3/4 the battle!

Also, I'm not sure about your skin concerns but as we get older our skin tends to veer to the dry side, so I really think you ought not to cancel out cream blush just yet. It is the best way to get a dewy glow! Again it also depends on your technique. If you dot it on and blend little by little you shouldn't have a problem. Today's cream blushes are made to be buildable and sheer out very nicely. OR you could go for a cheek stain!

Some blushes I would recommend:

NARS: Douceur, Madly, Sex Appeal

Tarte cheek stain in Dollface and Tipsy: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P38468&categoryId=B70

MAC: Cubic, Tenderling, Sincere, Trace Gold, Sunbasque

Some cream blushes to consider:

Illamasqua - Rude http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P241707&categoryId=RVP

NARS multiple in South Beach http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2866&categoryId=B70

Also, have you considered using Clinique's urgent redness relief cream to help with the rosacea? Or a green primer from Smashbox or Make Up Forever to help cancel out the red in your face? Perhaps you should sample on or two.

Hope that helps!!! 

anaa
Answered

Hi I'm almost 57 not a grandma yet but hopefully soon....  I like the cream blush by Tarte.  Makeup in general is much evolved and in my opinion improved, compared to the seventies.  There was nothing back then that I remember like the cream blush from Tarte or Nars (I like those as well).  These are very natural looking and easy to blend.  Well worth a try.

prettyinpa
Answered

Nars makes very nice cream blushes, and no, I don't think you have to worry about 70's looking blush, just use a thin coat, then blend, blend, blend!  If you want darker, just build color with more layers. Also, after you put on your blush and finished blending, go to a window with natural light and check to make sure you have a natural looking application, indoor light can be tricky to get a good look. If you don't have a window, consider a lighted makeup mirror, they make ones with a daylight look.

My favorite blushes from Nars are Multiples in Orgasm and Riviera.

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 23 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • eastakrongirl
    • katie1724
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa
    • islandqt
    • anaa
    • tinyjenny