Answer
theartsmakeup
Best Translucent Setting Powder?

Hey everyone! So I need a translucent setting powder and I would like to know your opinions about which ones are the best. I have considered powders by MUFE, and Laura Mercier, but I would like other options too. I would like something to mostly mattify my face and keep my oil at bay, and something that won't leave a white cast on my face. Tell me what powders are your favorite :smileyhappy: Thanks in advance!!

-Taylor 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 8
waterbaby1981
Answered

If you're looking for something to mattify your face and keep oil in check, the best thing to do would be to choose a primer that can do that.  Laura Mercier makes a product called Secret Finish and you can use it under your makeup and primer or over your makeup to ensure your makeup stays fresh and doesn't go anywhere.  There are two versions-original and mattifying-and the mattifying version worked wonderfully while I was pregnant, since hormones turned my face from dry to an oil slick.

Of course, there are other primers that work just as well, such as Givenchy's Mr. Mat and I believe MUFE has one too, but I can't remember what it's called at the moment.  However, if you want to know what type of setting powder to use, I would vote for Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder.  It doesn't leave a white cast and does set your makeup, including mattifying, but again, for oil and matte finish, I would choose a primer that does that for you.  The LM setting powder definitely makes your makeup stay put though.  I swear by the LM primer, tinted moisturizer and setting powder.  If those three products will make wedding makeup stay put in the middle of July in a church with no a/c (I used it for my wedding in July 2006 and my sister's this past August), it's definitely worth it!

prettyinpa
Answered

Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder- works well and comes in a cute little compact that you can carry around for touch ups during the day.

prochristine
Answered

Hello!!

Here are a few recommendations for you!

Cover FX Setting FX Translucent Setting Powder, $32

What it is:
A natural, non-drying, translucent loose setting powder.

What it is formulated to do:
A luminous powder used to set foundation and provide a semi-radiant finish. This natural mineral powder absorbs excess oil resulting in a matte finish.

What else you need to know:
Setting FX - Loose Setting Powder is suitable for face and body. The formulation is talc-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, and paraben-free.

Tarte

Smooth Operator™ Micronized Clay Finishing Powder with PM20™
What it is:
A colorless, mattifying, pore minimizing, and replenishing Amazonian clay finishing powder that is clinically proven to reduce the appearance of pores by 20% after 4 weeks.

What it does:
Smooth Operator™ Micronized Clay Finishing Powder with PM20™perfects and mattifies skin while reducing the appearance of pores. PM20™ is a breakthrough proprietary pore-minimizing compound that is clinically proven to reduce the appearance of pores by 20% after 4 weeks. This completely colorless and universal silky powder is perfect for all skin types and tones—and don't worry, skin will never look chalky! Amazonian clay, nature's most perfect ingredient, acts as a total skin balancer by reducing dryness and flakiness, improving clarity and texture, and removing surface oil to mattify skin for a soft focus and flawless finish; all while replenishing and rehydrating skin. Smooth Operator™ Micronized Clay Finishing Powder with PM20™ can also be used for targeted application; use your ring finger to gently pat finishing powder over undereye or blemish concealer to keep product from migrating into fine lines, wrinkles, and dried, damaged skin. This skin-saving powder can even be used alone as a treatment to reap all the benefits of Amazonian clay.   hope these are helpful!

islandqt
Answered

I'm really liking the MAC Prep and Prime powder. In terms of keeping oil at bay I find that it works much better than the Make Up Forever HD microfinish. However, you can only use very little of this powder. I find that you can be a touch more liberal with the HD microfinish especially if you use a kabuki brush to really buff it into the skin. The MUFE HD powder is definitely more finely milled though and for pictures it is better than the MAC Prep and Prime. But if I'm going out, the MAC is my go-to.

Hope that helps!

keeptherhythm
Answered

The thing about the Urban Decay De Slick is that you are basically matting the oils and dirt down onto your face, which makes me go "ewww" (no offense to anyone who uses it, it just grosses me out... im a clean freak :smileywink:). For that reason, I use Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. It looks white, but it is absolutely transparent and it doesn't feel heavy on your face. It actually doesn't even feel like you have anything on your face. It miniminzes the look of porest and takes that super shiny look off of your face. I highly recommend it. Good luck and I hope this helps!

dianabt
Answered

Hi theartsmakeup!

I agree with the other ladies suggestions and am a huge fan of the Urban Decay De Slick powder too.Another favorite I like, (although it is not too transparent) is the Clinique Stay Matte Sheer Pressed Powder which is oil free and absorbs excess oil and shine from appearing on the skin.  I like this powder for its sheer to medium coverage and the fact that it will reduce shine but even out your skin tone as well.

Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder

My second choice for a great oil absorbing powder is the translucent Laura Mercier Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder that reduces shine and oil to help prevent buildup that can cause breakouts. The soft mint green shade helps to reduce minor redness and skin tone un-evenness.

Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder - Shine Control

I hope my advice can help you too! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
melissabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Theartsmakeup,

One of my favorite translucent powders in the Cover FX Matte FX Oil Absorbing Powder. It eliminated oil and has very minimal tint to it. It really helps to keep oil at bay.

Matte FX Oil Absorbing Powder

My second choice would be the Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder, it works on bare skin or over your foundation. The shade looks blue/purple but it will be clear on your skin.

De-Slick Mattifying Powder

<3 Melissa
makeupnyc
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have dark olive skin.  I use MUFE HD powder every day.  It doesn't look white or ashy at all.  I also used the powder on my wedding day.  I don't look pale in either my video or photos.  I have the small size that's $15.  I've been using it for about 6 months and I've barely put a dent in it.  The jar is still more than half full.

Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 15 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • islandqt
    • waterbaby1981
    • prochristine
    • makeupnyc
    • theartsmakeup
    • dianabt
    • melissabt