Answer
canseethruu
Best Oil Free Primers?
Ok, I have a question about Primers for my oily skin. I have been through Smashbox, Tarte, Laura Mercier Radiance Primer (I know its not oil free), maybe another one or two brands.
I have my skincare routine down, using PTR, and its worked wonders for me! I changed from Smashbox BB cream, to Tarte Tinted Moisturizer, then to Dr. Jart Black Detox BB cream. I had been waiting for a long time for the new Dr Jart Black Detox BB cream to become available.
It does do a lot more for my skin, but I'm finding that I get extremely oily with any of the above mentioned Primers. I have been looking into a few lightweight, oil free Primers, I have narrowed down the list to get opinions on :
Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, Tarina Tarantino Glow Pearl Primer, Urban Decay has 2 face primers I haven't seen before, Too Faced Primed and Poreless oil free white bottle, and PTR makes an Un - Wrinkle Primer (not sold at Sephora)
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Primers that I mentioned, and had good luck with having oily skin? I would truly appreciate any advice or opions :-)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
ChicDabbler
Answered

Have you tried Benefit POREfessional? I found that it didn't really do much for my pores but it did make my skin matte. I've also heard lots of good things about Korres Pomagranate mattifying primer.

Do you also use a finishing/setting powder after you do all your make up? I have Clinique Stay Matte powder and I just dust it over my forehead/nose after finishing all make up and my skin doesn't get oily looking through out the day. Urban Decay de-slick mattifying powder is another popular one.

missconduct
Answered

Hello!

You are singing my song right now when it comes to looking for oil free primers and dealing with oily skin.  That's all I seem to deal with!  Having used a lot of different primers, I always go back to Lorac's Aqua Prime.  

http://www.sephora.com/aquaprime-oil-free-makeup-primer-P155108

I prefer this primer since it's not a mattifying primer.  I was doing myself an injustice before by using a mattifying lotion, primer, and foundation. Basically, that translated to not enough moisture which caused my skin to create more oil.  Just make sure you are properly moisturizing, and using an SPF because that can make a big difference to how oily your skin can get.   Now only using a mattifying lotion and foundation, I've kept the oil at bay during the day and this primer helps the foundation go on so perfectly.  I highly recommend it! 

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you! 

cryshun
Answered

I also have extremely oily skin and have tried wayyy too many primers. There are two that stick out in my mind as the best: Hourglass mineral veil primer and Korres pomegranite mattifying primer. Hourglass is BY FAR the most effective primer I have ever used in controling oil. TRUST ME you will love it as soon as you put it on, its just so different; it goes on so smooth and silky, not greasy or sticky like most other primer. It is however, extremely expensive, so thats where Korres comes in. It is much less expensive ($33 vs $52) and is still a great primer. I do notice a little more oil on my face compared to the Hourglass primer, but still very effective. It also smells amazing! I suggest trying samples of each before you buy. Hope this helps!

pbcup04
Answered

Hi, I too have extremely oliy skin and have tried several differnet primers.  I most definitely have to agree with the one blogger who recommended Houglass Mineral Veil.  While it is very expensive, the jar will last a long time.  Ii've had my bottle for about 6 months....you only need 1 pump for your whole face.  It makes your face feel fabulous.  As far as decreasing the oiliness though, I'm not yet convinced it's my HG.  I asked the experts, and one of them suggeted the Givenchy Mister Mat.  She felt that the HG Mineral Veil was a bit too heavy for my extremely ( and I mean extremely oily) oily skin. With that being said, the HG has performed better that any other primer I have tried so far....ANY....Urban Decay, Nars, Murad, PTR, VICHY, MUFE, Smashbox, Smashbox Lite...and the list goes on.  But, I've just purchase the Givnechy to see if it actually is better than the HG.  If not, I'm going to try the New Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Stay Matte Hydrator.  Usually I don't care for Clinique, but this product has had really great reviews as far as decreasing oil.  Best of luck.

makeupobesessed
Answered
There is a Laura Mercier oil free primer hat I've tried for my somewhat oily face and it works nicely. I also have skipped this step and went to a BB ream since the primer is built in and the BB cream doesn't affect my face at all in a negative way. I found the sku# just in case for LM primer, oil free. QTY$30.00 Foundation Primer - Oil Free ITEM # 905349 SIZE 1.75 oz
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 18 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • missconduct
    • ChicDabbler
    • makeupobesessed
    • canseethruu
    • cryshun
    • pbcup04