Answer
starflower110
Accepted Solution
Best Liquid Foundation for Oily Skin

Which of the following is the best liquid foundation for oily skin? I say liquid because I tried Bare Minerals and don't like it, I also tried Make Up Forever Mat Velvet and it did not make my skin matte at all!

Lancome TEINT IDOLE ULTRA - Enduringly Divine & Comfortable Makeup 14-Hour Retouch-Free, Oil-Free

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation

NARS Sheer Matte Foundation

MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Foundation

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15

Let me know if anyone with oily skin has tried any of these and what is the best recommendation. I am also open to other foundations I may have missed that are also good.

Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
xoxcharlottexox
Answered

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15: Sampled this recently and it looked really good. The texture was really natural-looking and felt lightweight.

Lancome TEINT IDOLE ULTRA - Enduringly Divine & Comfortable Makeup 14-Hour Retouch-Free, Oil-Free: Heard good things, thought about trying, but never did. One of my friends with oily skin uses it and her skin always looks amazing.

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation: LOVE it. It's good for oily skin if you still want a dewy/natural finish instead of matte. I'd suggest an oil-control primer though. (but same for with any foundation. I like Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer.)

Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation: never tried it, but it's probably good, looking at the reviews and that all of laura's foundations are great.

NARS Sheer Matte Foundation: never tried it, but I've heard good things about this product.

MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Foundation: Good, but not the best for oily skin unless you use a primer. I like Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

Hope I helped!!

xoxo, Charlotte

Answers: 13
katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]

Generally, powder foundations are best for oily skin types, but if you prefer a liquid, I would try Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long-Lasting Foundation (as opposed to the Skin foundation you mentioned), because it is meant for all-day oil control: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P270563&categoryId=B70. I love NARS Sheer Matte, but I did not find it to be oil-controlling enough for an oily skin type (my skin really varies -- it was dry for years and has recently developed a tendency to be oily at times -- but it did not keep my skin matte, and I do not have extremely oily skin).

Under any foundation you use, you might have luck with a good oil-controlling primer, such as Givenchy Mister Mat or Make Up For Ever All Mat. Primers like these have oil-absorbing powder-gel formulas that work to keep shine at bay. You may also want to finish with an oil-absorbing setting powder, too, like this one from Cover FX: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P191307&categoryId=B70.

: )

meeeevs
Answered

EVERYONE NEEDS TO TRY HOURGLASS IMMACULATE LIQUID TO POWDER FOUNDATION!!!!!!!!! This thing keeps my shine at bay for 8hrs+!

VRTU7
Answered

I tried Make Up Forever's HD Foundation and its not good for oily skin.

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have extremely oily skin and I've tried soooo many different primers, foundation and powders trying to stop my oiliness.  What I've found is, first of all, the best way to help control oiliness is to use an oil-controlling primer.  The best oil-controlling foundation primers that I have ever used to stop my extreme oiliness from breaking through are the following two:

Make Up For Ever All Mat Foundation Primer which you can read more about at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P169809&categoryId=B70

Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer which you can read all about at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=RBWSFQGW0KMH2CV0KSKBPIQ?id=P231022&categoryId=B70

A fantastic foundation for oily skin is Make Up For Ever All Mat + Mattifying Foundation.  It’s a shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation that hides imperfections, evens out skin tone, and mattifies with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish.  The result is flawless and lasts for hours.  Although this foundation provides full coverage, the end result is completely adjustable to fit your needs (a little goes a long way).  You can find it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P177117&categoryId=B70

You can use Make Up For Ever’s “Foundation Shade Finder” tool to help you choose the correct shade to match your skin tone.  You can access it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=MAKE%20UP%20FOR%20EVER&contentId=C19212

Also, I would recommend setting your foundation with Urban Decay’s De-Slick Mattifying Foundation Powder which is a colorless, shine-controlling powder that comes in a handy mirrored compact so you can carry it with you for touchups throughout the day.  You can find it at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P210592&categoryId=B70.  The little puff that comes in the compact is great for touchups, but I’d recommend applying the powder with a big fluffy powder brush when first setting your foundation to give your face a nice air-brushed finish.  Here’s an example of the type of brush I’m referring to:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P183725&categoryId=B70.  A little tip I learned is to keep the little piece of plastic that comes between the puff and the powder so that you’ll have a barrier between the two so the oils that come off your skin onto the puff won’t sink into the powder—it helps the powder stay clean and fresh.

Hope this helps and have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

rudeness
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have the NARS Sheer Matte. I just bought it used once and I have to return to store. It is matte but coverage is very light I applied twice and still not fully covering my acne scars. 

I am going to try the Laura Mercier Oil Free I have heard good reviews on it, plus I have tried and love the Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer and love it. 

Good Luck!

starflower110 wrote:

Which of the following is the best liquid foundation for oily skin? I say liquid because I tried Bare Minerals and don't like it, I also tried Make Up Forever Mat Velvet and it did not make my skin matte at all!

Lancome TEINT IDOLE ULTRA - Enduringly Divine & Comfortable Makeup 14-Hour Retouch-Free, Oil-Free

Let me know if anyone with oily skin has tried any of these and what is the best recommendation. I am also open to other foundations I may have missed that are also good.

Thanks!

starflower110 wrote:

Thanks!

carmensmith
Answered
(0) Hearts
Like others have said, I'd suggest you go with a powder foundation when you have oily skin. Even though there are many oil-free liquid foundations, I find that they are still most prone to making you break out. If you do want a liquid foundation I'd suggest something like M.A.C. Studio Fix Fluid, it's my favorite.
kaily4
Answered
(0) Hearts

Try a drugstore brand, they can be equally efficient as well as not as downturning on the price. Drugstores also have a wide variety so your choices are limitless. A great foundation would be Revlon ColorStay for Oily skin but the Dry Combination one works well on oily skin as well.

anaa
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have super oily skin, still at 57, and have been using bare minerals for quite a few years.  I recently thought I would try a liquid from Estee Lauder to get a bit better coverage.  Major fail!  I broke out like I used to when I was 20!  And, despite the fact that reviews for this product overwhelmingly stated it was long wearing, my experience with it was that it pretty quickly turned into an oily mess and broke me out.  I don't have an actual recommendation for you, but my personal decision is to stick with the powder foundations. 

jennypenny1995
Answered
(0) Hearts

LM Silk Creme - no

MUFE HD - breaks down with oil production (asked my Sephora store about that one myself as I was hunting for a new one)

BB Skin - no

I did wear BB's Long Wear Even Finish Foundation, and it did do that--wore for 12+ hours and kept me less ruddy.  But, I felt it was still overpriced, didn't like the packaging (glass bottle and can't see when you're low), and THEN I found out BB tests on animals.  I'm trying really, really hard to be aware of who tests and purchase those that don't, so I went elsewhere.

What did I find?  Tarte's 12-Hour Foundation.  Oh.  My.  Word!  I'm very fair (perfect match) and shine up after about 2-3 hours of wear (no shine after 5+ hours, minimal shine after whole day of wear).  So, it's been a HUGE game-changer, and I love it!

dianabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi starflower10, 

Try using a great oil free shine reducing primer underneath your makeup. This can make a HUGE difference in keeping your foundations (cream, liquid, or powder) staying on longer and smoother. :smileyhappy:

I recommend you try the Givenchy Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer for its smooth and shine reducing finish that minimizes pore appearance and leaves you with a bright and glowing complexion. 

Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

For foundation, try the following:

Nars Sheer Matte Foundation

Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation 

Lancome Teint Idole 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
nikkkii
Answered
(0) Hearts

laura mercier sild creme or make up forever hd ♥

missfarr
Answered
(0) Hearts

i do like the make up for ever hd invisible foundation the starter kit is a good price and the products are all quality and useful.and i have tried lancome teint indole ultra it was nice but i needed more coverage. 

sexyangel
Answered
(0) Hearts

You can actually get medicated foundations that will help your problem. Have you had much help on how to cover your spots and what to do before you put your foundation on?

Question Stats
  • 14 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • starflower110
    • macuser
    • xoxcharlottexox
    • anaa
    • nikkkii
    • kaily4