Answer
alissonnj
Accepted Solution
Are MAKE UP FOR EVER products cruelty free?

I should have looked into this before buying - I love their HD foundation and am now wondering how animal friendly they are. Anyone have any insight? TIA

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
tenngal
Answered

Make Up For Ever does not do animal testing.  So, feel free to buy MUFE brand because it's cruelty-free!

As a fellow animal lover, I'd like to say thanks for caring! :smileyhappy:

Answers: 13
jillian7
Answered

They are not on the Peta list for Don't... they are owned by Sephora... Louis Vuitton-Moet Hennessy.  It looks like most companies do but in a round about way so they don't look bad.  Estee Lauder companies do and as far as I can find it is very possible Make Up 4ever does too

hkrgrl
Answered

alissonnj wrote:

I should have looked into this before buying - I love their HD foundation and am now wondering how animal friendly they are. Anyone have any insight? TIA

They are not cruelty-free. I dug around and found out that even though they may not test on animals, they buy ingredients from companies who do. So in my mind, that does not make them cruelty-free. This happens with a lot of the make-up companies out there. Even if the company selling the makeup doesn't test on animals, their ingredients come from companies that do. :smileysad: So if you're shopping for cruelty-free like I do, you've really gotta dig around to find out what you're getting. Sometimes you have to find out what company owns the makeup brand first before you can find the correct info on PETA or elsewhere. In this case, it's LVMH (Louis Vuitton), a holding company that owns Sephora too. Plus LV uses fur, so if you love animals don't support their makeup lines like MUFE.
dollface5166
Answered

I've actually been trying to find this out myself! I've mostly found conflicting statements, but it looks as though they actually MIGHT be testing on animals. I can't find the company on a "does" or "does not" list, so I'd try to contact the company directly. Let us know if you find out!

Here's links to what I've found:

http://www.4us2be.com/fashion/is-sephora-animal-friendly-brand/

http://www.mymakeupmirror.com/MakeupWithoutCruelty4.php

(check #6 under NOTES)

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx

sarithor
Answered

I agree with Katie1724. I checked Peta's website, I didn't see them on their cruelty-free list, but I didn't see them on their list of companies who DO test on animals. If you ever want to check a brand though. Just go to peta.org and usually you can find out if they are or are not cruelty-free.

gogreyhound
Answered
(0) Hearts

i agree, it is hard to get a true answer for some companies. They may not do animal testing, but sometimes individual ingredients are tested, not the final product, or companies who supply ingredients do testing, or parent companies do animal testing. What about the whole vegan thing?? If we knew how much animal yuck goes into sooooo many things, we wouldnt buy another cosmetic again! I learned a lot about this when I got into Arbonne, how rendering plants take every type of animal, even veterinary carcasses with flea collars,,,and rendering plants number one customers are----cosmetic companies! yuck. Do you think anyone of us will know the truth? I don't mean for this to be upsetting or offensive---I apologize. I am not a radical person, I think that you can only control certain things. We have to rely on the companies to be honest, hopefuly they are. I try to go as animal friendly as possible, and not think about the rest.

MandyMcKenna
Answered
(0) Hearts

They sell to China...so yes...unfortunately :-/

ajparks
Answered
(0) Hearts

The link provided by Sephora below is incomplete.  The following brands can be added:

Lorac

Sephora Brand

Tokidoki

The list is just a partial, there are others that Sephora carries that are cruelty free.

katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I can't find a statement on their website, so I would contact a rep directly to be sure. Generally, if a company does NOT test on animals, it clearly states so on the website -- or even if it's not obviously posted, when you type in "animals," "testing" or "cruelty," you will be able to find the company's statement, if there is one.

To be sure, though, I would contact Make Up For Ever directly.

: )

gracienote
Answered
(0) Hearts

Since many cosmetics companies want to make more money selling their products to China.  And china wants all the products tested on animals.  It's their law. 

So, do be careful what you but. Be any companies will be testing on animals now. 

Plantgarden
Answered
(0) Hearts

MUFE is NOT cruelty free.

@tengal, please verify your information prior to posting.

MCharlotte
Answered
(0) Hearts

Estee Lauder, Urban Decay, Avon, Mary Kay, MakeUpForEver, YSL and others have been removed from cruelty-free lists due to their decision to sell their products in China. Estee Lauder's subsidiary companies include but are not limited to Aveda, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, MAC Cosmetics, Origins, Smashbox, Tom Ford.
The Chinese government requires all cosmetics sold in China to be tested on animals before it is available to the Chinese consumer.

http://www.beautylish.com/t/rxvry/major-companies-have-been-removed-from-cruelty-free-lists

MCharlotte
Answered
(0) Hearts

"Estee Lauder, Urban Decay, Avon, Mary Kay, MakeUpForEver, YSL and others have been removed from cruelty-free lists due to their decision to sell their products in China. Estee Lauder's subsidiary companies include but are not limited to Aveda, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, MAC Cosmetics, Origins, Smashbox, Tom Ford.
The Chinese government requires all cosmetics sold in China to be tested on animals before it is available to the Chinese consumer."

http://www.beautylish.com/t/rxvry/major-companies-have-been-removed-from-cruelty-free-lists

Question Stats
  • 14 answers
  • 14 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • dollface5166
    • alissonnj
    • jillian7
    • traceed
    • ajparks