cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|
Anonymous Insider

upperlid puffiness after eye makeup removal

I have sensitive skin in general. If I put on any kind of eye makeup, I am fine for 8-12 hours. But when I remove the makeup (does not matter how I do it: using a wash, wipes, makeup remover), my upper lid swells up for a day or so. I have to skip a day of eye makeup to go back to normal.  I have thrown mascaras away thinking the tube is too old, no difference. I truly think if I sleep in my makeup, I will be fine (not that I want to do that). I have noticed the more tugging I do on the lid, the more the swelling. I use UD primer on lids, I also tried too face primer with no difference. I use origins eye cream on lower lid but nothing for upper lid.I use dior mascara, UD shadows, smashbox concealer for lower lid( which is starting to cake for no good reason). Any suggestions? thanks in advance. I would go to a sephora store for advice but the closest one to me is an hour away!

Re: upperlid puffiness after eye makeup removal

Hi there! I know it's been years since your post but did you find a solution. I recently started having both eyelid swelling after eyeliner removal. I usually only wear eyeliner and very rarely eyeshadow and mascara. I do not find any reaction when I have the eyeliner on. But after I wash my face and remove the makeup, the next day or so, the eyelids start swelling. The eyes start paining, never the eyelids but the pain seems to be coming from inside and this triggers my migraine. I love eyeliner and it's the only thing makeup item I apply. I changed from Lakme to Maybelline but nothing changed. The same reaction the next day of removal.

This is wrong. You should not have to deal with this, something's not right here! I know you Don't want to go to the doctor........but I'm gonna say it anyhow, it might be a good idea to have a dermatologist check it out, they might be able to clear it up lickety-split!

Self diagnosis.......I'm wondering if you use a wet washcloth after whatever you remove your make up with. If not, then maybe you need to, just to get any remnants of makeup or remover off of your extremely sensitive eyelid. If so, then it could be whatever detergent you're using on your washcloths - even if it doesn't affect any other part of your body and even if you do a double-rinse cycle on the washing machine. If you do use a washcloth (which I think you should, you need to get any left overs off) rinse the Heck out of it and then rinse it a a little more - it's amazing how much soap/detergent remains in cloth, even after a double rinse, so try that out and see if it helps.

I only briefly glanced at a couple of other comments,, but noticed a gal who had trouble with some pink shadows, this happens to me too - it's happened for years. I had this one favorite look that needed a certain pink, so I'd only use it if I knew I wouldn't be running into anyone the next day, cause I'd still be a little puffy. Someone said it can be some form of Mica that's used in certain Pinks, don't know for sure, but I try to steer clear of pinks. 😞 (my fave/signature color)

You're using good brands, but who know what could be in whatever you're using (expensive or less expensive brands) Everyone's body chemistry is different, so something that could be fine for 12,469 other people might be problematic for you. Plus if things have been replaced and your still having trouble.....this doesn't sound like something you want to play around with much longer. I was so relieved to hear that you are only wearing under eye cream under your eye and not on your lids, phew! There are some new good eyelid creams (Murad makes one I like ~note to self, add that Murad eye cream to 20% off shopping insanity, frenzy......event. :)) But before you try Anything else......I would get to the doc, I know you don't want to hear this, but why not **bleep** this in the bud and not go by guess-work, rumor, or a friend of a friend's brothers, in-laws, neighbor  had something that sounded like this. I also don't think asking a SA will do the trick, who knows, they might have an idea, but please be careful about trying any 'home remedies' etc. The doc (or SA) might know of a specific ingredient in a certain products that is the likely irritant.

I really don't love the sound of all of this and to be perfectly honest with you - if I knew you IRL, I'd be nagging you to get to the doctor. Sometimes these things can progress - and I know you don't want that happening! But again, it could be a quick and easy fix. You don't want to have to hide away or pretend you're Cousin IT on swollen eye days - plus, even though I don't know your relationship status - if you're single, the puffy eyed day after makeup day will be the day you see the man or your dreams and then go run and hide from him, for fear he'd recoil in terror or think you have some horrible disease. If you're not singled.....well.....go to the doctor anyhow! When If you go, you should bring all of your skincare & makeup products with you as well as the packaging, if you still have it - It will be worth it in the long run, you really don't want to mess around with the eye area - they are the windows to the soul, remember......so I hope you'll write and let me/us know how your Dermatologist Appointment went and what he/she said. 😉 (nag, nag - not too subtle)

I do hope you'll come back and let us know how things go, no matter what route you decide to take. **cough-Doctor-cough** 😛

I agree with kssweetheart.  This sounds like either an allergy that you need to pinpoint or a dermatologic condition.  The allergy may be with the makeup but since you wear it all day with no issue it could also be with your makeup remover, laundry detergent if you are using a towel, etc.  It could also be a condition where your skin gets easily irritated and inflamed from even the slightest pressure/manipulation.  For instance, some people can scratch an itchy spot and it leaves a welt.  Something like this could be a possibility as well.  Either way, this is some of your most delicate skin and reactions like this can sometimes get worse over time.  Please get it checked out if you can't easily pinpoint the offending allergen!

Anonymous Insider

I think it is specifically the carmine in the case where it can be pinpointed to one color range. Otherwise the irritation would occur on all the other spectrums that use iron oxides, copper, chromium, aluminum, and ultramarine. I do have sensitive skin and some of my eyeshadows give me a small itch. I'm thinking it is the remover/process in the case of the original poster since there is no mention of itching and the swelling is post-removal instead of while the makeup is on. 

If irritation is on all the other spectrums, the remover and/or laundry detergent could be causes. The best way to rule out laundry detergent would be to have your face washcloths hand washed in a bucket mix of a gentle castile soap and baking soda. It also can't hurt to sanitize the washing machine (confession, it has been a few months since I've done that for mine so I'm overdue >.<). If it is the remover solvent, I'm not sure of any better suggestions than all the oils that were mentioned below. If none of those work, definitely seek the opinion of a dermatologist.

Anonymous Insider

You'll want to use a vegan based pink shadow (pigment only), quite a few people are allergic to the bug shell that creates the pink and purples in normal cosmetics.

OMG!!!!! Pardon Moi - I got **bleeped**!! What a shocker!! It took me a minute to figure out why - the **bleep-worthy** word was N I P (I wrote

"_ _ _ this in the bud" - crazy! :))

Me too.  Whenever they bleep it out I always start thinking of the dirtiest words, and usually, it's not that word that's being bleeped out.  They're kind of overboard with the words they censor.

Are you sure it's not the makeup?  My upper lids get puffy if I wear pink eyeshadows, like magenta pink.  I get really thick yellow/green eye goobers, too.  If I wear a pink eyeshadow I can get away with it until I go to take it off and then my upper lid will be red/swollen, and I might get the eye goobers later. 

Purple and pink eyeliners also have the same effect on me.  They'll make me get eye goobers while I'm wearing them and then when I take them off my eyes are red and swollen and puffy for 12 hours or more afterwards.

Anonymous Insider

Sounds like you are allergic to carmine.

Yeah, I think that's what it is.

Anonymous Insider

You know. I should pay attention to color. I did not think of that before. I have tried different primers and no primers and only eyeliner with no difference. Good point!

I would also suggest to sanitize your eye products.

Anonymous Insider

I use my eye brushes once and then I clean it right away. I don't share makeup and I don't keep mascaras no  more than a month. What else can I do?

@akaber also sanitize your eyeshadows & pencils with alcohol spray. There is a tutorial online on how to do it.  upload_8193924862106129882.jpg

In my experience, primer doesn't make a difference.  If it's going to irritate your eyes, it's going to irritate your eyes regardless of how much of a barrier you try to put between your skin and the irritating product.  Pinks and purples bother me, and one gold/brown eyeshadow by mac have bothered me.  Without incident I can wear warm terra-cotta colors (red/brown orange), and pretty much any other color.  

I reread your post, and you shouldn't tug at your makeup to take it off.  I get my eye area wet and then I'll take a damp cotton ball that I douse in olive oil and use that to remove my eye makeup.  I think olive oil works better than any other makeup removers on the market.  You could use any cooking oil you want -- coconut, safflower, canola.  You just can't beat the slip you get from a lipid in removing makeup.  Anyway, I dab at my eye makeup with the cotton ball until it's almost all off, and then I'll get a clean/dry one to wipe up the last bits.  Go easy on the skin around your eyes. 

My favorite for sensitive skin is Clinique's Take the Day Away Cleansing Balm.  Since you don't seem to like using oil cleansers on your whole face, I suggest just gently massaging some of the balm onto your eyelids, using fingertips, for 60 seconds or so, giving the oils time to break down all that tough eye makeup.  Then simply rinse with warm water, using your hands not any kind of washcloth or anything like that.  That's the gentlest way I can think of to remove eye makeup and in fact this is what I do on bad skin days.  No tugging, no harsh cleansers.

http://www.sephora.com/take-the-day-off-cleansing-balm-P126301?skuId=886267

Oh and using a gentle moisturizer on your eyelids after cleansing might help reduce any irritation.  Cera Ve just came out with a nice eye cream but their PM moisturizer is lighter and might work better for you.

Anonymous Insider

so do you know of a moisturizer for the upper lid? that is a good idea!

Anonymous Insider

Have you tried a more gentle oil based remover? It sounds like your eyelid is very sensitive to pressure, and it is not a normal reaction to have noticeable swelling. The gentlest removal process would be applying something like coconut oil to the upper eyelid, letting it sit for a minutes to saturate your makeup, and using a very soft washcloth to swipe it off.

Anonymous Insider

I have not tried an oil based remover other than neutrogena which broke me out on the rest of my face. I did not try letting it sit for a few minutes. Any suggestions for an oil based remover?

Anonymous Insider

Tarte has an eye makeup remover infused with jojoba oil. If you don't want to try a wipe, it would be ok to use a body oil with jojoba, safflower, or similar (I hesitate to say coconut for fear it might leak onto your face and cause a breakout if you have tried coconut).

Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
  • upload_8193924862106129882.jpg
testing