bipy

do i put on eyeliner first or eye shadow first?

lreagan

Re: do i put on eyeliner first or eye shadow first?

(0) Hearts

Usually I do eyeshadow and then eyeliner so the eyeliner isn't "tainted" by the eyeshadow. However if I'm doing a fancy eyeliner technique that I know I'll make mistakes with and need to clean up with makeup remover, I'll do the eyeliner first and then do my eyeshadow after I get it perfect.

bipy

wow - this is the first time I'm on this forum - thanks so much for answering my question so quickly!  i'll try doing both ways and see which I like better.  Good to know there no "right" way.

melissabt

Bipy-

I think it's best to put on your shadow first. If you put on your liner first the shadow will make it appear lighter. You can always do both!

<3 Melissa
ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Usually it's eyeshadow then an eyeliner.

However, if you are going for a smokey/smudgy eye look, I find it easier to put eyeliner first then blend with the same/similar shade eyeshadow rather than tugging on the eyelid to make the eyeliner smudge so the line disappears. Some eyeliner leaves my lid a bit oily and can leave an imprint on my crease, so the shadow kind of make it drier and stay put.

bananachoox3

Hey Bipy

I like to put eyeshadow on first then eyeliner

If you are dealing with shimmering eyeshadows you wouldnt want that to fall on to the eyeliner or cover it so that the eyeliner would show.

drrragon

I normally put eyeshadow first, then eyeliner.  But there's no right or wrong way, it's all about your own preferences and what look you're trying to achieve.  Sometimes after I apply a cream liner I'll dust a tiny bit of shimmery eyeshadow over my eye and the liner picks up the shimmer.  Other times I just want a plain black line, so the eyeliner goes on last.

themakeupaddict

My preference -- neither!  I'm an eyeliner-in-the-middle type of gal.  It also somewhat depends on the 'look' you're trying to achieve as your end result, but in my many hours of trial and error over the years, (haha, obsess much??), if you finish with eyeliner, it is more of a feature than an enhancer, and why distract the attention away from your eyes looking beautiful because your eyeliner is center stage?  Pass.  :smileyhappy:  ....Here's my routine...Apply either a *little* bit of your makeup foundation over the eye, or eye concealer, or a dusting of powder foundation, (whatever your product routine is), or, if you don't use foundation, then skip ahead to setting a light base with a neutral all-over eye shadow color, then eyeliner, then begin building and contouring with your other colors.  If you're creating a daytime look, the other colors lightly dusting over the eyeliner makes it appear softer, and if you're going for an evening look, the eyeliner works like a 'base' to help boost the drama.  Just don't forget that your eyebrows help to frame it all, so be sure to fill-in thin spots as needed, comb the hairs into place/shape as needed and last-but-not-least!! take a q-tip and clean off any foundation or eye shadow powders that settled onto your eyebrows as that will make them look 'dull' in the background rather than frame like they're supposed to!  Happy makeuping!  :smileyhappy:

rockhound0508

Everytime I have had makeup applied ... yes at Sephora its eye shadow then eyeliner

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • drrragon
    • ChicDabbler
    • bananachoox3
    • lreagan
    • rockhound0508