cure

best matte eyeshadow palette

I'm looking for an eyeshadow palette that is completely matte (this will be my first full matte palette) and I'm wondering which one you all would consider to be the best (more like, if there was only one palette you could use for the rest of your life you would use this one). So far I've been looking at Urban Decay, Too Faced, and Stila and they all look like great palettes, but which one would be best?

I use mostly Kat Von D but I'm trying to explore other brands if that makes sense but if anyone has any opinions on the Ladybird palette please (of course) give a shout- out! 

Thank you very much! 

thechicgeek

Re: best matte eyeshadow palette

How about the Sleek Ultra Matte i Divine Palettes V1 or V2. I don't have either yet but I plan on ordering them soon. I do own their Monaco palette with a combo of shimmers,satins and mattes. The mattes in that palette are ah_ may_zing! They are pigmented,blendable, and not at all chalky. The best part is the the palettes are only about $10 each on Sleek's website and about $13 on Amazon.com

sleek mattes.jpg

http://www.sleekmakeup.com/

ProperIntro

(0) Hearts

I recommend TheBalm's Meet Matt(e) Nude Palette.  The company has fantastic sales sometimes (join their email list) =] 

Or use Lorac's Pro Palette with Matte and Shimmer shades, you can't go wrong with it's variety of neutral colors.

Don't get Urban Decay because it's expensive and not that versatile and not all of the shades are matte if I recall. 

Stila, I think some shades are a hit or miss

Try Inglot's freedom palette system, they have affordable, wide range of matte colors for you to choose.

Good Luck

MJtheMUA

(0) Hearts

The Balm, Lorac Pro, Sigma Creme de Couture has beautiful matte pastels but it's getting hard to find! And the It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette ties with my Lorac Pro! I just can't get enough they are both must haves for me but I really want to try the KVD palette!

kittichick

(0) Hearts

If you can find it (it was limited and is now sold out on Sephora), Laura Mercier's Artist palette this year is almost all mattes. And with those few that have a shimmer (no glitter!), it's quite subtle. It's just an awesome palette. 

oklady2013

(0) Hearts

Ok, I'll chime in. I have a lot of mattes. So far my top brands are Stila, LORAC & Kat von D Ladybird. I swatched the UD Basics  & it was awful, chalky, patchy etc. The Too Faced ones look nice but for some reason don't speak to me as loudly as the other brands.  Enjoy your new palette.

syritt

(0) Hearts

UD Naked Basics was not very pigmented and chalky. Huge disappointment when I swatched it in the store. I don't know how a brand that makes such incredible shadows and palettes went so completely wrong with this.

The Too Faced one is much better, but parabens. *sigh* If you don't mind that, it's a lovely palette.

xoxcrystal

(0) Hearts

i absolutely love doing a matte eye look for my everyday look and lately i've been reaching for my lorac pro palette a lot. i also use the naked basics palette, but i feel like i don't reach for it lately. i also have the too faced and stila palettes which are both really nice as well. i also did hear that the new smashbox palette is really nice, it comes with both matte and shimmer shadows but from what i hear, the shadows are really pigmented and blends pretty nicely.

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

Too Faced Matte.  It's awesome! 

vanillammm

You guys should check out the new It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Matte Luxe Shadow Palette. It looks amazing. It is all matte and then one pearl "transformer" shade that can be used over any of the colors in the palette to give them a metallic finish. Pretty smart.

I ordered one but have yet to received it.

Itpalette.jpg

lyravega

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

So pretty! I love all the colors! Could you post a review here on BT with swatches, pls? I wonder if they're easily blendable, pigmented and true to the colors as we see them in the palette...

EllieyJelly

(0) Hearts

The balm's meet matt(e) nude

whigrose

(0) Hearts

Now why did I only find out about Ladybird after the sale?! Drat! And since only Sephora carries KVD, I have to hold my breath they will release more of them since it is out of stock. I love the half cool, half warm ratio. I really want it.

EmilyGray

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The Kat Von D "Ladybird" palette is not limited edition. And, Sephora has been out of the Ladybird palette a good while- even before the "Friends & Family" sale. It seems to take them a good while to replenish Kat Von D stock....don't know why, though. Hope this helps you....or, at least, ease your mind. lol =)

DrWould

[ Edited ]

I'm also on the hunt for the perfect matte palette so this thread helps me too!

Have you looked at theBalm's "Meet Matt(e)"?swfupload_8074577676651987866.jpg

I think I might get this one! I feel like with a lot of matte palettes the colors are all neutrals and most of them end up being really light white/ivory shades that I'll never use. I like that this one has colors rather than just neutrals. 

bvnny

(0) Hearts

I almost bought this on Haute look when it was on sale, but talked myself out of it. I wish I hadn't...it looks great

latinadiva

If anyone is looking for something more affordable, Sonia Kashuk's eye on neutral palette is a solid matte palette for the drugstore. Retails for I believe $20. Not too much less than the Naked Basics, but you definitely are getting more shades.

clarks18

Too Faced is the best one.  I reach for this palette every single day.  Every color in that palette can work with a different look.  I love using this palette for highlighting under my brow and creating a base color in my crease.  These colors are all true to pan and they blend like a dream.  I like this palette also because it is just not filled with neutrals.  This palette was exactly what I needed in my eyeshadow collection.  Best of luck in your search. 

makeuplover989

I have a ridiculous obsession with matte eyeshadows and own all of the palettes that have been mentioned in these responses (I'm a working girl in an industry where most women don't wear makeup, so matte shadows are my best friend). If you like wearing cool tones, I recommend going with the Too Faced palette because there's not much warmth to any of those shades. Alternatively if you like warm shades, the Stila is your best bet. If you want a little bit of cool and warm then the Kat Von D palette can give you that :smileyhappy: All of the palettes are lovely quality and super versatile. It just depends on what price point you are comfortable with and what sorts of colors you like wearing.

drrragon

@makeuplover989 -- thanks for your descriptions!  i've been tearing my hair out trying to decide on a matte palette and when I read your post I realized that I do prefer cool tones over warms.  Now I know which one to look at! :smileyhappy:

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I, too, think Naked Basics is over hyped and a huge letdown. I don't like it at all. Color selection is poor, colors are nothing special even for basics. Some of the lightest ones doesn't even show on my fair skin much, like I'm used to Naked 1 and 2 colors to be pigmented and fantastic. Now, I love my Naked palette 1 and 2, but Naked Basics is really not all that. You better look for more versatile matte palette somewhere else. Stila is excellent choice. I love my Stila all matte In The Know palette! It has everything I need and like. Colors are beautiful and versatile, pigmented, and staying power is fantastic ( with primer, I have them on all day and colors don't fade, crease, or move around. I haven't noticed any fall out during application, so that's another plus. ) Also, they are very easy to apply and blend. Colors are great for any look, from subtle, natural, day look, to night makeup, and everything in between. I love it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • cure
    • lyravega
    • whigrose
    • aviscardi
    • dianabt
    • drrragon