Carmen241986

Your Thoughts : Red Eyeshadow ?

Hey girls,

So I happen to LOVE the colour red. I thought why not ask your thoughts on wearing red eyeshadow or red eyeliner ?. I know it's not a colour most people would be able to pull off. However I believe there are a lot of you ladies who would be willing to try and make it work or have made it work :-D

sephoramusthave

Re: Your Thoughts : Red Eyeshadow ?

I love red too but I have to admit, I've never worn red shadow. It actually took me all the way till now (I'm 25) to get comfortable wearing red lipstick lol. Since I'm light skinned I think that just wearing a red shadow on its own would make me look crazy but mixed in with other colors.....maybe a darker neutral on the outer corner (?) would look nice. BUT I heard (not sure if this is true or not) that most brands don't make a red shadow because its contains some kind of a dye that's not safe to use around the eye area (cancer causing?).

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

No and no.  In my experience, most women already have plenty of red/pink tones around their eyes and nose, so adding to it can make them appear sickly.  Just...no.

Sorry!  You asked!  ; )

PoesRevy

I think on some it would look amazing. I feel if you like it and can pull it off, do it! Personally, I have to choose reds carefully as some hues do not look very flattering on me :smileysad:

Kiki1517

I wear burgundy eyeshadow from Inglot, but not on its own, I smoke it out with brown and dark purple and get complimented on it anytime I wear it :smileyhappy: 

makeupmaven

I was actually just thinking about this, when I was young my friends and I (who were into drum and bass and dressing "futuristic", since in 2000 we thought of dnb as "the future) liked red eyeshadow. I had to use MAC Blush since a red like that isn't typically made into eyeshadow due to the pigments used. Can't say it was flattering but it was a statement.

It's actually pretty on blue eyes (opposite color). A good way to pull it off is to use silver as liner, this way it won't make your eyes look bloodshot. I don't think it's flattering on brown or hazel eyes, maybe on green. It can work paired with other cool colors for a "sunset" look also (which would make it look more pink).

kalex

I hadn't thought of using silver with it. I may give it a whirl! Thanks for the idea! 

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

Let me know how this turns out! And happy to see lots of cool looks w/ red in this thread. A lot easier to pull off when the red is not a bright red (like the color of the reply button) and maybe not super pink in undertone. The shimmer also seems to help...I just remember the flat red I used to use and it was not cute!

veronika23

I haven't worn red in a long time... It's a bit difficult to pull off and stains. I mean I can pull it off but need to make sure it doesn't make me look sick or on drugs :smileyvery-happy:  I had one of the MUFE red shadows and no matter what I did it still stained my eye lids. lol

ry22

I got a Sephora Collection one in my 2011 Blockbuster and it doesn't stain. However the same color isn't in their normal collection or this years one :smileysad:

rikkie

There's a Sephora Collection red shadow called Cherry on Top or something similar to that, I just picked it up the other day so I haven't used it yet though. It looks nice and pigmented with a primer underneath!

rikkie

I wore a look very similar to this for my wedding, actually. A bit more yellow and less red, no shadow under the eye, and with cat eye liner, but very close. 

upload_3325899897393567295.jpg

Carmen241986

That look is very similar to Marilyn Manson's in Dope Show !

veronika23

Very pretty!  That's one of the ways I used to wear mine :smileywink:

knadala

I used it as my base color and complimented it with gold; I have only used red shimmer eyeshadow, I don't know how it would look as a matte shadow. But when I wore red shadow, I made sure my lips and cheeks were very subtle so I didn't look swollen lol.

ry22

(0) Hearts

Wow that sounds amazing :smileyhappy: I have to try that one too!

SydBristow

I've worn a dark brick color successfully before (madras by Bare Minerals) The wrong reds though and it may make your eyes look tired. 

I ordered a Lorac Little Lace palette that has some deep, dark reds that I look forward to trying. I did see a nice tutorial on YouTube recreating a Kristin Stewart look that had a MAC reddish paint pot in it that was pretty awesome.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I tried red Geisha style:

red.jpg

I also tried a red/orange/gold/brown fall folage combo but I didn't have enough space on the lid to make it work, lol. Red is not something I'd wear, but reddish orange I'm fine. I got the tangerine liner from last yr at Sephora and rather like wearing these 2 looks:

orange2.jpg

orange.jpg

FireSpinner

I wear red eyeshadow and i'm one of the lucky ones that can pull it off :smileyhappy: hurrah! (*but I can also pull off BLUE hair...*) :smileytongue:

ry22

I've worn red eyeshadow before. When applied normally it makes most people look ike their eyes are irritated. However, when I foiled it (using a wet brush) and used black in the crease it looked really nice. It was a super dramatic statement though :smileyhappy:

calamityjane85

Oooh I bet it was gorgeous

ry22

I wore it to a Halloween party and I got tons of compliments :smileyhappy:upload_4981924046591602772.jpg

This was sort of the inspiration, but the red I used was matte and I changed the shape to fit my eye shape. But this is kind of close :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 92 replies
  • 125 hearts
  • 39 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave