sammiebaby

Winged Liner Tips

Hey beauties!

I want to know if any of you lovelies can help me out with some advice on perfecting winged liner.  I have pretty big roundish eyes.  I kind of know the concept on how it should look and I'm practicing but it's hard!  How angled should the wing be?  Is there a particular length you shouldn't go past?  Help please!

sammiebaby

Re: Winged Liner Tips

(0) Hearts

Hey hey

I tried the tape yesterday and it definitely helped a lot, but I put my liner on a little too low, not on my outer corner instead it was on my lower lash line.  I'm gonna keep trying tho!

newandaddicted

[ Edited ]

I stay on the struggle bus, I practice and practice and all I end up with is irritated eyes and frustration.  UGH. 

AND I have hooded eyes (thanx dad!) and some crows feet.  I've watched so many hooded eye videos and I still stink at it.  I want to do it!  I want it to look GOOD.  

This and putting on lashes is going to be my unicorn when it comes to makeup.  WAAAAAAAAAAH!

ETA:

Gonna try the spoon trick...maybe the tape trick too (which I've know about but never tried..DUH) I actually saw a margarita glass tape dispenser at an office store yesterday and thought about the tape trick.  LOL

sammiebaby

(0) Hearts

You guys are awesome!  Thanks for the help!  I'll probably be using the spoon lol or the tape since I have a pretty shakey hand and they seem easiest.  Thanks!

weeeeweeeeeee

Just a random thought, tip/hint. You may want to use a new spoon for this and keep this spoon just for your eyes/makeup purposes.. Even though you can technically wash it before and after use, I would feel kinda uneasy about placing a spoon I use to eat my split pea on my eye area...

JayReed

There is not a certain length or width the wing should be, it's basically however you prefer! I always make sure I wet the tip of my eyeliner brush with water or MAC's studio fix fluid. If you need to clean up any harsh edges just use a q-tip! :smileyhappy:

kellsmuneoka

I cheat and use tape too lol. It's way easier imo plus it's great for getting the fallout from your shadows too. If you place the tape perfectly you'll be able to get a perfect wing and you'll be able to decide how long you want them to be.

andyhtrieu

Definitely use gel/cream eyeliner and an angled brush. The angled brush will be extremely helpful because it literally maps out where the eye liner is going to go. My favorite is that MAC 263 because it has synthetic bristles and it can give you an ultra sharp line

laurabt

Hi sammiebaby,

I think that weeeweeeee's diagram explains it best.  It's hard to explain it in words without having any sort of visual to accompany the words!  But the best trick I learned is to follow the angle of your bottom eye lid when creating the angle of your wing, (as seen in pic #2 of the diagram) to make it most compatible with your eye shape. Have fun!

:smileyhappy: -Laura  

killahbabe

You can make your wing go as far as you'd like. I personally line my angle of my wing based on the outer corner of my eye and the tail end of my eyebrow. I also like the length of my line to not exceed the height of my crease. One day I'll post a tutorial, I swear!

weeeeweeeeeee

[ Edited ]

Have you tried the winged eyeliner with a piece of tape?

Or the spoon trick?

jozkid

OMG! The spoon video is a riot! :smileyvery-happy:

weeeeweeeeeee

(0) Hearts

Hehe! I thought so too, there are many other tutorials on the spoon wing liner trick, but none of them are as entertaining as this one!

heartsmyface

Omg!!!!! Amazing!!!!  ( I love japanese television!!!!!)

heartsmyface

Okay! I tried the spoon thing three times and have it down now! Neat trick! Thing is- after doing the spoon trick, I kinda know exactly how to place it without the spoon now. 

weeeeweeeeeee

Get a perfect wing with ease.

I also found this on buzzfeed that is worth taking a look at. But practice is kinda the key.. you know how they say practice makes perfect? Well personally, practice makes close to being perfect for me, but my eyes are slightly uneven so I can never get perfect, I will be happy with good enough to be seen by the public.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • sammiebaby
    • laurabt
    • kellsmuneoka
    • jozkid