lecia1167

What eyeshadow palette do you regret purchasing?

[ Edited ]

Usually, I can make a palette work for me, but the Smashbox Heatwave Palette is just not doing the trick for me. The colors are pretty, but they go on really light. Plus the fallout is ridiculous.

I bought it a long time ago, so I'm gonna have to MsGyver this bad boy and use some colors with other palettes I have to make it work.

I guess I can try it wet, too. I haven't done that yet.

What eyeshadow palette to you regret purchasing?

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SMASHBOX%20Heat%20Wave%20Eye%20Shadow%20Pal...

bad823

Re: What eyeshadow palette do you regret purchasing?

(0) Hearts

Adding another to my list:  Sonia Kashuk Eye On Neutral Shimmer palette. I bought this on impulse at Target.  Nothing wrong with it really, the colors are pretty, & don't fade or crease, just that I already own the same/very similar colors.  Looks like I'm wearing the same old same old.  

annypoo

(0) Hearts

Kat von D saint palette - although the eyeshadows are pigmented, I feel like I have similar shadows in other palettes already. None of the colors stood out as a "wow" to me.

Bare minerals 8.0 the playlist palette - the colors just didn't work for me. I barely ever use the green or blue. I only really like 3 shades out of 8 and although its compact, the eyeshadow pans look so small.

Urban Decay Ammo palette - I bought this because I really like sin and smog (but realistically I already have these colors in other UD palettes). Another reason I bought it was because it came with the purples and I felt that it was a great way to buy a couple purples without having to buy single eyeshadows. But I'll never use the blue (too glittery), green, or white (too glittery) shade.

Gizeh

Oh dear, eye shadows are my thing. Like you I can make a palette work if I want, but fact is that if your just throwing some cash on something you shouldn't make it work, it is supposed to work by itself (I'm talking about color payoff, ease of blending, durability, etc.).

After way too much money spend, and much regret, I've learned that for my taste YSL, Urban Decay, Too Faced and even Kat von D are mostly good buys. They're highly pigmented (most of them) and good value. Stila and Lancôme are nicely pigmented (most of them) but it runs like crazy on my hot eyelids, and by the end of the day there's no much to look at. Smashbox, Tarte, and pretty much everything else seems to me too light, even if the color looks nice and swatch pretty, somehow doesn't look as good on my eyelids (way too light), and frankly I don't believe in building the color, because that doesn't seem cost effective.

But everybody is different, you know. Live and Learn (even if that seems pretty expensive).

stacv

(0) Hearts

Stila In the Know pallette. I so wanted to play with mattes but ugh, mattes are just not as flattering as slight shimmer. I am still on a quest for a perfect in-between- my Diors are so sparkly and I need something a bit more professional nowadays.

Suiteheart

Kat Von D Ladybird palette.

I used one color and hit pan on it (not hard to do considering that they are chalky and fly everywhere), and the rest are pretty much untouched.

I want to return it....but I bought it months ago and I feel like that's cheating.

cosmeticsjunkie

I didn't like the Too Faced Loves Sephora palette.  Only 1 or 2 colors worked on me.  the rest were not pigmented enough or didn't compliment my tone

ProperIntro

Wet n Wild comfort zone palettes, they fall out easily and when i depotted them into a palette they exploded over my carpet =_= ... None of my urban decay eyeshadows would break when I depotted them.  

Cleaning up their mess made me hate them...

I haven't used my Urban Decay Ammo Palette (it's not bad but I just wished I bought it when it was onsale instead of full price)

doriangray

Urban Decay Naked 3.  

I was looking so forward to it.  Unfortunately half the colors are so light and sparkly, they're redundant on my medium brown skin.  I had fallout with the darker colors, and I always use UD primer too.  I tried for a week to work with it and decided there wan't enough value there for me.  

Haaated the cheap-looking packaging, too.  

I felt embarrassed returning it at the store literally right as the SAs were unloading and setting up the store's first palettes.  

lyravega

[ Edited ]

I'm not the only one?!!! Praise the lord, I'm not crazy! :smileyvery-happy:

I thought I'm gonna love it because of all the pink toned colors I'm crazy about... but I hate it!

I constantly have a feeling that this is some kind of testing palette, it's not finished, they rushed it up just so it's available for holiday madness, or I've got a "defective" one, or something. Many colors are not pigmented, I have to build and build ( or use wet ) to achieve... anything! Fallout is beyond terrible. Glitter is.... UGH! ( those glittery ones are the worst! "Fallout" is very weak word for them. ) And on my pale skin all colors look very similar if not the same ( except the darkest one ). Yes, they all look different when you swatch them with your fingers... but once you actually put them on your lids - they all look the same! The 3 mattes are pretty decent, but not worth keeping the palette... I have never returned eye shadow palette in my life, or regretted buying any of my many palettes. ( I kinda have an eye shadow palette addiction :smileyhappy: So, even if I'm not really using some of them much, I don't return them. They are all my babies :smileyvery-happy: ), but this one is a perfect candidate. I have never encountered such a terrible palette! Not even worth $32 I paid for it.

doriangray

Haha, yeah, I went looking for blogger reviews just to affirm my experience.  I did give it a fair shot I think.  

I feel like expensive makeup should be fun and feel luxe, not cheap.  You don't need it so you should love it, right?  I still want a palette of rosy browns.  I'd be happy with a well-edited quad or quint, even for the same price if it was better quality with matte shades and really fine shimmer.  I know I'll keep "needing" more eye palettes so it just gives me something to hunt for.  

IllegallyBlonde

Yea, I'm starting to feel this way, but I didn't want to admit it since it was a gift (and not cheap.) I don't like all the glitter at all and every time I even lightly touch the brush to the palette, the Shadow looks like I stabbed it (creates a large crumbly dent.)  I do think they're pigmented, but holy glitter..

libee84

[ Edited ]

The Balm Nude Tude. no matter what primer I use, it creases. I have a ton of fallout and the color payoff isn't the best. Also, the Too Faced summer palette, I never ever use it. I have a hard time getting the pink and orange shades to show up. Should have never gotten it. 

marydiva

The Lorac Mint Palette.

The colors just *don't* work for me! I've tried so hard to love it, but I guess Lorac and I just weren't meant to be! I feel like the shadows just don't "blend" properly? Maybe I've been spoiled with too much UD. If anyone is interested in swapping or taking this baby off my hands, it's up for grabs. I second @roxystar's idea of starting a palette swap thread! 

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

Marydiva, I bought the Lorac mint for the mint green colored shadow & it doesn't work for me ( too light) ...But I like the blush and two of the other shadows so I don't hate it. It's not my fave though ( wtheck auto correct! Sorry about botching ur user name)

marydiva

I know! I bought it for the mint shadow as well. The blush/highlighter doesn't work for me. I gave the palette to my little sister, but nothing works for her, so we passed it on to our OTHER little sister and she dislikes it as well. It's only been used about 6-9 times in an attempt to make it work, so if anyone is interested in it, they can go for it! 

Rin418

I agree my Smashbox Heatwave is my regretted purchase! I hate the thing.  The colors don't seem like the go together well cause they all just look the same and very blah.  Also there is a bit too much fall out. I think I've used it twice. Just not feeling it.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Rin418, I dislike some of the colors but love the gold shadow so much. 

Rin418

(0) Hearts

Yes, I agree the gold color is nice. I sometimes use it with my other palettes  to create a look if I'm looking for a hint of gold. Thats as far as ill go with it tho.

DTalksAll

UD Basics palette- I like foxy, but it's in another palette. I recently depoted all the naked palettes into a z-palette, so hopefully I'll use it more. I like matte, but don't do a whole look with matte. 

Ariel Palette- Thanks to BT I fell into the Disney craze & ordered it as soon as it became available. I haven't even used it yet in case I decide to give to my cousin or someone. From swatches, the shades don't look all that amazing. I have a bunch of mac pro pans I have in a palette with all sorts of shades. I heard the quality of the Disney shadows aren't all that great. So I really don't know why I got it. 

UD Vice (the first one)- I love it, I love the colors, and quality. Some have a bit of fall out, but it's still easy to work with. The shades themselves don't all work well together. I just don't use it enough to really play & figure out what works. It's not that I don't like it, but I reach fro my mac colors or naked palettes more to really get used to it. 

carolang

UD Glinda Palette. Colors are pretty but have so much trouble using them together to make a cohesive look. It's not a one palette look which I don't like. Giving it to my mom as she's a bigger UD junkie than me but only has the other witch palette.

UD Ammo Palette. I got the new reformulated one. I got it around this time last year when I started getting really into make up. My mom and best friend had it before (old formula) and it looked so cool. I much prefer my other palettes by UD and I like more colored shadows from bareMinerals (ready formula).

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 111 replies
  • 172 hearts
  • 77 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • reflectsgold
    • hydee77