lecia1167

What eyeshadow palette do you regret purchasing?

[ Edited ]

Usually, I can make a palette work for me, but the Smashbox Heatwave Palette is just not doing the trick for me. The colors are pretty, but they go on really light. Plus the fallout is ridiculous.

I bought it a long time ago, so I'm gonna have to MsGyver this bad boy and use some colors with other palettes I have to make it work.

I guess I can try it wet, too. I haven't done that yet.

What eyeshadow palette to you regret purchasing?

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SMASHBOX%20Heat%20Wave%20Eye%20Shadow%20Pal...

jojobe

Re: What eyeshadow palette do you regret purchasing?

The Tarte Holiday Palette. It's colors are very pretty but they are chalky, maybe this is due to the clay they use to formulate it, not really sure. I have tried to love it, but honestly i think it is getting sanitized and put in  a TSB. I loved everything else that came in the set, just not a huge fan of their shadows. I have tried it wet/dry everything in between and for me its just not great but the colors are pretty to look at! 

jetsetjourno

Stila In the Garden palette...The colors are SO pretty in the pan, but just don't work on my skintone. Wish I would've saved my money.

reflectsgold

Coastal scents. It was chalky and i had to literarily scrape it to get some color. HORRIBLE. 

meganrad

ditto coastal scents. HATE that brand. Don't know why there are any good reviews out there 

SydBristow

I read this earlier and posted the palette I didn't like was Lorac Unzipped, as almost all the colors looked the same on me.

I noticed a lot of people posting about fallout on the Lorac Pro palette, which I thought was strange as I have had it a while and hadn't noticed that. Then today I went to use it and....fallout! However, I was using a newer brush set that picks up a lot of product, my previous brushes didn't do the same thing. I will go back to them when I use Lorac Pro. I found that discovery quite fascinating, thought maybe mentioning it might help some people use this really nice palette more easily. :smileyhappy:

spacesuit

Which brush set works best for you with the Lorac Pro? And which one is the one that picked up too much product?

SydBristow

I have an older Smashbox brush set, I would call it mildly stiff and medium softness. Dense bristles.  It's actually an ok set but I started really getting into blending and I didn't feel that the brushes let me do that well, so I started researching other brushes and trying a few.

The ones that have the fallout (but work great for Stila or UD shadows) are a little Sonia Kashuk set I got, super soft bristles, smaller brush head, not stiff, it loads up with product very well. 

So, not an expert or anything but maybe the Lorac shadows are rather soft? They have tremendous staying power once on, and Pewter and Garnet are two of my favorite shadows. No biggie, I'll just go back to using the Smashbox brushes. :smileyhappy:

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

Used the Smashbox brushes this morning, it's definitely what it was.  :smileyhappy:

ry22

I got a MAC holiday palette a couple years ago. Its pretty (the packaging is a snowglobe!) but I never ever reach for it :smileysad:

upload_7651764108130280403.jpg

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

I love this palette! I picked it up from the CCO earlier this year and now I use it on the regular.

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

That is so pretty though :smileysurprised: !

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

ry22, this is really pretty! how's the quality of the shadows?

ry22

I don't like the white one (it's just a bunch of glitter) but the other ones are nice

gingerblack

Probably a palette I got from UD. It is like a smaller version of the Smoked palette. The green, purple, and blue colours come out virtually black. The bottom 3 are nice though.

caliglow66

(0) Hearts

I think you're talking about the Dangerous palette. I bought it because it was half price but I hate it too! It's way too dark for my skintone

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

Yeah I think so hah. I bought it for the same reason.

roxystar4

cool thread.

has anyone thought about doing a swap?  Sounds like some people's HG palettes are another person's regret - maybe they can PM the person who hates their ________ palette and offer to trade them? 

marydiva

Great idea! 

lecia1167

(0) Hearts

I have another Smashbox palette that I don't like. It's the Wondervision in Sparks. Ugh. I do not like the colors on me at all.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SMASHBOX%20Wondervision%20Eye%20Set%20%20P3...

NikkiShops

I went to an Estee Lauder warehouse sale over the summer.  It was great to see so many high-end products with such great prices. However, the problem was that the products were either old or almost expired (in some cases, they actually were already expired) and obviously they had a lot leftover for a reason. I didn't realize that at the time so next time I go to one of these sales, I will be more aware. I purchased the Smashbox Be Discovered palette (from 2011). I got it at a great price and it just seemed like it would be worth it. I never use it. The colors look pretty in the pan but just do not show up as pretty on my eyes. They are very blah and boring on me. I definitely won't be purchasing anything else from Smashbox again after that experience.

Funny thing is, I had my makeup done by a MUA for a wedding a few months ago and I noticed she had this palette in her collection. I was thinking "please don't use that on me!" but luckily she used the NAKED palette on me. Of course I already have that, so it was kind of annoying having someone do your makeup that you could easily do yourself. That's what happens when you're a bridesmaid.

Anyway, I also regret purchasing the UD Glinda palette. As much as I love UD, this palette just doesn't do anything for my skintone/eyes. The shades look beautiful in the pan and even swatched. On me, the shades don't bring out my eyes and instead make me look tired. I paid full price for it too which sucks because it's so cheap now.

Oh well! They can't all be winners.

Petrichor2390

The Smashbox Brown Eyes Palette. It seemed like such a good idea at the time! I was hunting for the perfect matte navy blue and got too excited. But the eyeshadows were so chalky, and the fall out is awful. This was before I knew the art of research. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 111 replies
  • 172 hearts
  • 77 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • reflectsgold
    • hydee77