jennypenny1995

Wanted: Eyeshadows. (Yep, it's that simple.)

I'm a lover of neutral eye shadows, so I need help/advice.  I've been using Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Easiest".  I really have enjoyed the formulation of both the powder and cream product, so I'm not opposed to buying their single shadows.  I've heard & experienced bad blending and color payoff with Bobbi Brown (was aiming for her Smokey Warm palette), so that's now off my Loves List.  Clinique seems to have good formulations, but I know nothing about their shades in neutral tones.  I've heard bad things about NARS and Urban Decay formulas, too.

Please tell me, what brand and then what shades would you recommend?  I like a mixture of matte and slight shimmer shades, mostly ivories, browns and golds.  Currently have several Benefit shades and even their WFN "Glamorous" flagged.

Ready... go!!!!

mrsessie

Re: Wanted: Eyeshadows. (Yep, it's that simple.)

YOUR MISSING OUT ON A GREAT PALETTE!!!

YOU NEED to get the LORAC PRO Palette trust me you will not be disappointed!!

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I'm thinking of getting that one too

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

First, THANK YOU GOBS to each & every one of you that posted your advice. I read them all and used each tidbit in making my final decision. You're the best!

So, here's what I decided on.  First, I'm gonna use up my Bobbi Brown 500pt VIB bonus (Ivory, Saddle, Mahogany).  Then, I'm going to use Benefit's Longwear Shadows in "Call My Buff", "Nude Swings", and "Kiss Me, I'm Tipsy".  I LOVE the Buff shade - perfectly ivory, slight satin sheen without glitter or fallout.  Nude Swings is described as a rose gold, which my hazel eyes are going to go bonkers over.  Kiss Me appears to be a warm brown - perfect for accenting or on my lid.

So, there ya have it!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Guerlain has the best quality IMO the color pay off is beautiful and they are silky smooth and lasting. I like UD'S new formula ( not vintage) a lot better. I have the too faced bon bons and they are ok. I really like Lorac palettes too. For the price of them they are really good.  Kat Von D palettes have a great color payoff as well and come in a bunch of colors that are not just neutral.

emmaclaire

INGLOT!!!  If you want one of the best quality eyeshadows available, yet incredibly reasonably priced, you really need to give Inglot some love.  They make almost every shade under the sun in a number of different finishes (matte, frost, glitter, etc.) and you seriously won't regret a single thing if you buy them.  Sephora doesn't carry Inglot (boo!) but seriously, PLEASE give them a shot!

For Sephora brands, I like Lancome, Urban Decay is definitely decent, and Make Up For Ever is fabulous (especially if you're looking for warm toned neutrals!).

CARGO (at ULTA) is truly lovely too!

person11

(0) Hearts

I am SO EXCITED to make my first Inglot palette.  I haven't even seen them in person, but I'm already counting on them being my new favorites!

hydee77

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you tried Kat Von D's shadows?  They are very pigmented and wear nicely.  I have The Saint palette and I like to use it for neutrals.  But the only matte shade is a dark brown, two have a bit of glitter but the rest are "pearlized" finishes.

http://www.sephora.com/true-romance-eyeshadow-palette-saint-P292313?skuId=1325083

ghkim

(0) Hearts

for mattes, i like laura mercier, UD mattes (the only bad thing i've heard about UD shadows is that they have a lot of fallout but this only applies to the glittery shades), and the balm. kvd also has a nice matte palette - ladybird. some people like the too faced matte palette but i haven't tried it. for slight shimmer that is not obvious, i actually like chanel - subtle and blendable. i've had some nars shadows and don't care for them as much. i especially don't like the nars packaging - the rubbery black case always turns sticky on me at some point. i like some of the bobbi brown singles as well and they tend to do a lot of neutral colors that may be right up your alley.

oklady2013

LORAC pro palette is really nice. Has mix of matte & slight shimmer. If you prefer all matte shadows,  Stila In the Know palette has a nice range of shades & are very nice too.

garnett

(0) Hearts

Have you looked at the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette? It's my go to everyday palette because it's works with everything.  Only one color has the slightest shimmer but it's not metallic or glittery.  Just a gentle highlight.  I love the formulation of the UD eye shadows.  They never irritate me and they are highly pigmented-even the soft neutrals.  They have good staying power. 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Really leaned towards that one, but I've read it doesn't wear like the Naked shades.  Less pigmented??

IttyxBittyxMe

Lorac Pro palette is my favorite neutral palette by far, I don't even use my Urban Decay Naked palette anymore because of it.

Too Faced has wonderful shadow palettes as well.

A non Sephora sold palette that's a good neutral palette is the Coastal Scents Warm Palette. 

mberteig

Have you tried Too Faced?  I really love their eyeshadow palettes.  They have a Natural Eye one that is my favorite.  It contains matte, shimmer and glitter shades, including champagne, gold and brown.  There's also a Natural at Night palette that is also very nice, as well as the Boudoir Eyes palette!

http://www.sephora.com/natural-eye-neutral-eye-shadow-collection-P241303?skuId=1189224

http://www.sephora.com/natural-at-night-sexy-sultry-neutral-eye-shadow-collection-P303106?skuId=1392...

http://www.sephora.com/boudoir-eyes-soft-sexy-eye-shadow-collection-P377630?skuId=1493907

glossyguru

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I say the safest eyeshadow for you would be from Stila! Their singles are amazing, and the In the Light palette has some great neutrals! Other good brands are Too Faced, Nars, Urban Decay, and Sephora brand. I find that Too Faced and Nars are a hit or miss with pigment, some I love and some I hate. I love UD, but they seem a bit too shimmery for your description. Sephora brand has lots of options, but again, a hit or miss. And if you buy Sephora eyeshadows in a palette, they're just terrible. And I can't say anything about Bobbi Brown or Clinique, I've never tried their shadows.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Am really considering Stila, I think...

nekoally

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried the Benefit singles, but with Bobbi Brown, I like their singles more than palettes in terms of the quality, but loves the palettes for the colour combination. Bobbi Brown is all about neutrals, so you probably won't go too wrong (although her holiday palettes tend to be too glittery to me)

Urban Decay is nice too, but I find their finish is too metallic to me, so I don't reach for them very often.

Nars shadows are amazing in my opinion, but the quality varies between colours/batches. You are getting a lot of eyeshadow in the duos and singles (too much in my opinion, since I've never hit pan on any of them), so you are probably better off if you can get the palettes. I love my 9944 and 9950 palettes from years ago, haven't tried the newer 6 pan palettes yet though.

Clinique eyeshadows have good formulations, but really the colours are dupable and you will not get that WHOA factor. I think it's best if you get them with GWP - much better value than buying them alone.

Stila also has lots of good neutral shadows with great colour payoff and super blendable, and the palettes are very affordable, just make sure you don't get the ones that are made in China - the quality is off with them.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Ugh!  I'm so torn now!!  What singles from Benefit or Bobbi Brown would you suggest?  Looking for a mid-tone and accent shades.

SydBristow

I've been trying lots of different shadows lately. Smashbox, Lorac, Urban Decay, Stila, and Too Faced. I love my new Too Faced Mattes collection, I use it as a base and then if I want a little shimmer I grab another palette.  I wouldn't hesitate to get a Too Faced neutrals palette, I've been very pleased with their shadows. I did get the Lorac Unzipped palette, which is browns and kind of neutrals for my skin tone, but I kind of wish I could return it, while I love their Pro palette I am disappointed with Unzipped - not enough variation in the tones I think. :smileysad:

Good luck! Let us know what you pick!

rainbowveins084

(0) Hearts

I have to agree with you on Unzipped!  It was an impulse buy for me and I have found that I havent used it a whole lot because the colors definitely seem to be very similar to each other..

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I think maybe the best way for me to use it is as a base, then to build colors from other palettes onto it.  I know Sephora has a superb return policy, but unless something is defective I prefer not to return items.  Had I taken a look at the palette in the store though I probably would have realized there was so little variation in colors - the photo online (and I find this to be true of many of the eye shadow palettes) wasn't an adequate representation.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • hydee77
    • emmaclaire
    • jojobe
    • jennypenny1995
    • nekoally