Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Under eye primer - yes or no?

I recently picked up some of Smashbox's Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer.  I've never actually bothered with an under eye primer before and thought I'd give it a go.  I also recently picked up Smashbox's Lighting Theory palette (which I absolutely adore) and have been using the color correcting cream for my dark circles.

I've used both products separately and together, but I'm not sure if it would be useful to use them in combination or if the color corrector negates the point of the under eye primer. 

I'd love to hear the opinion of you lovely people on this board concerning this.

Thanks!

Re: Under eye primer - yes or no?

@ghrelin

Lylysa has given you excellent advice already, but I'd like to add that I find using the Smashbox Under Eye Primer with color correcting products actually makes them wear better and last longer.  The Under Eye Primer will still hydrate and smooth your skin, which will help the color correctors go on better and last longer.  I do not have Smashbox's Lighting Theory Palette, but I have used other color correctors over the Smashbox Under Eye Primer and they work well together for me.

Not everyone needs a primer, but I personally find they help my under eye area a ton because I'm prone to dryness.  Give it a go and let us know how it works out for you!

@kso1225  Fantastic!  Thank you so much for your reply.  Under eye primers and color correcting are both pretty new for me, so your advice is very welcome.  

Hi, Ghrelin!

While the Smashbox Hydrating Undereye Primer does contain light-reflecting pigments to give a very subtle glow to the undereyes, it doesn't contain any actual colored pigments to correct or diminish dark undertones along the region so it can certainly be used in conjunction with the color corrector in the palette.

The primer can serve as an eye cream as it hydrates, depuffs, and helps to firm the undereye region, making the skin more receptive to improved makeup application, wear, and durability. Like other primers which may be dedicated to the face or eyes, it also aids in grabbing hold of product and pigment better so you can use less makeup to get the coverage you want as well as serving to prevent makeup from caking or settling.

@lylysa  Thank you so much for your comments.  🙂  I've been worrying about putting too much product under my eyes, especially since I'm getting older and I have some lines that are beginning to become really noticeable.  Your comments were really helpful.

You're welcome. The primer is almost a hybrid of a skin care and cosmetic item. A little goes a long way so no need to apply too generous of an amount, because of it's depuffing, illuminating, and firming qualities, it's a great morning-time eye cream or eye treatment to perk up skin prior to makeup applications and to get the day going. 

Experiment with it, your corrector, and what concealer you're using to see how you may prefer to use it. Perhaps it'll be just a special occasion item, maybe you notice it making a significant different to where it's a daily must-have, or maybe it even wears nicely enough as your go-to eye cream even on days without makeup.

Have it work into your schedule, needs, and requirements! 🙂

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing