Meg82

Tips for eye makeup application with a tremor?

Hi all,

I have a moderate tremor in both hands and it makes the more precise aspects of makeup application difficult.  Specifically I have trouble with eyeliner and mascara.  I can't get a straight line with the eyeliner and I keep stabbing myself in the eye or getting wicked smudges with the mascara.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to apply eye makeup with shaky hands?

Thanks to anyone who has thoughts!

newermexico

Re: Tips for eye makeup application with a tremor?

(0) Hearts

ideas;

weighted fingerless gloves to steady hands...

wrist weights...

using a very large dark eye shadow crayon for the smoky eye look...

resting heel of hand on check bone using pencil upwards or top of brow using pencil downwards,

also RX meds now for tremors

and there are several links and video on google about this...

mmeeee

Don't hesitate what you do. Q-tips has a new thing called precision tips. Try that to make the line more smooth. You could always add some brown eyeshadow and call it a smokey eye.

I hope this helps. 

robinhoodwinked

Another thing I do is to hold the mascara brush still and blink slowly so your eye does most of the work for you. That way you only have to move your hand slightly to get the outside corner.

keelybt

I would recommend using a brush like the Pro Flat Liner Brush #25 to apply your eyeliner. You can tap the color in rather than having to have a steady hand to draw a line across.

swfupload_6909481924288148645.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/pro-flat-liner-brush-25-P313037?skuId=1419654

Meg82

I actually had someone suggest that to me last night.  I tried and though my results weren't perfect they were a lot better than what I was accomplishing with a pencil.  I think with practice I could probably master it.

Thank you for the suggestion!

janinebt

I completely agree with both tips. Another way to anchor your hand for more support is to just use a makeup puff. You can rest the lower part of your palm on top of the puff without directly touching your cheek. A lot of times I will do this when I'm working on a client's makeup it has a more luxurious quality to it and is a lot better than just resting your hand on their face...especially if your hand is tired.

swfupload_3239678718916164169.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ChicDabbler

I either rest my elbow somewhere, or I use one of my fingers as an anchor (pinky or ring) on my face while I'm applying eyeliner. Also, pencils are easier than brushes. As for mascara, rest your elbow and work your way in, as in applying it from the middle to tip first, then base-ish to tip if you can.

If the shaking is really bad.....I don't use mascaras but for eyeliners there are eyeliner stickers. It seems you have to "prep" it by trimming it according to your eye shape or bending it, but at least you only have to put it on your eyes once:

http://www.sephora.com/cat-eye-velvet-eyeliner-appliqu-P375506?skuId=1418003

http://www.sephora.com/black-magic-eyeliner-applique-set-P376611?skuId=1439785

http://www.sephora.com/deco-daze-glitter-eyeliner-appliqu-P376048?skuId=1428192

Meg82

That mascara tip was awesome.  I wasn't always able to get the base to tip done, but the middle to tip looked just fine.  Thank you.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • robinhoodwinked
    • mmeeee
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • newermexico