washingmachine

Stila in the light palette or Urban Decay naked palette

I am looking for a great high end makeup palette. I am considering purchasing the Stila in the light palette or Urban Decay naked palette. Both of these palettes have great reviews, but the urban decay one tends to have more hype. The urban decay is a little bit more expensive, so it is worth it? Thank you!

merengueknitter

Re: Stila in the light palette or Urban Decay naked palette

(0) Hearts

I bought the a Stila palette that is all matte - In the Know and I love it!  The colors work better for my cool complexion and the matte look tends to look better for work.  Other reviewers say that the color payoff is not as good as UD - and that's true.  However, I prefer this as the color   payoff is still good but I don't have to worry about making a mistake and then having to invest precious time in the morning to try to wipe it off and needing makeup remover.  With the Stila palette, I can use my favorite brushes and there is no excess shadow going all over the place, making my eyes look too dark or overdone.  Lastly, there are more medium shades than lots of lights and darks. I almost bought the Lorac palette but I know that all of the lights would look the same on me and I don't have much use for lots of darks.  Enjoy what ever you end up getting!

brookiechook

(0) Hearts

I own Naked 1 palette. Ive had it for almost two years and have hardly used the colors there is so much product in it! It's more hyped becasue its quality & original. Since its so popular, everyone has tried to copy. Stila has another pallette that is all matte (which i want to buy) but if I had neither, I'd recommend you buy Naked 1 or 2 first.

IllegallyBlonde

(0) Hearts

I haven't used the Stila one, but i'm a huge naked fan. it has two more colors than the stila palette, too. 

bananachoox3

(0) Hearts

You can't really go wrong with either palettes. Any one will be a great addition to your makeup collection. You have mixed of colors and finish in each. Each one I say is amazing because you can just bring it with you anywhere you go and will get so many different looks. I say if you were to choose one Lorac Pro or the orginal Naked Palette. It really depends if you are a glitter person. But i'm a sucker for neutrals shade and glitter so I'm going with Naked 1.

miabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Washingmachine,

Both palettes are fun and great!  I have both the Naked Palettes, so you really cant go wrong with it :smileyhappy:  The Stila palette hasnt received as much hype, but it is fantastic!  I also agree with springing for the LORAC Pro Palette.  It has an equal amount of matte and shimmery shades that can be played up (or down) for endless looks.  I would say that its a great splurge item :smileywink:

LORAC - PRO Palette

http://bit.ly/UDsQR2

xo, Mia

solveig

I agree, it depends on how glittery you prefer your eye makeup to be. UD Naked eyeshadows are great both quality- and color-wise, but there is not enough matte colors in them, and shimmery eyeshadows don't look that good on me, especially for the everyday use (which both Naked palettes and In The Light are for). So when I needed an everyday palette, I went for Laura Mercier Artist's Palette, unfortunately, it is no longer available from Sephora. However, Lorac Pro is very similar to it, it has equal counts of both shimmer and matte shades (8 of each, 16 total!), nice neutrals, a purple, and a gold shade. Benefit also makes good eyeshadow palettes. As for Stila, I am not completely happy with the quality of their shadows. I've had problems with getting color payoff out of them, but I haven't tried this palette myself, so I can't say anything.

If you can, swatch the Naked palette, and if you are okay with the amount of shimmer, go for it. Otherwise, I would suggest Lorac Pro or One of the Benefit palettes.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

Another vote for Lorac Pro Palette!  Definitely another awesome choice.  Again, more varied color range than Nakeds, less glitter-and-flash, and contains more mattes.  

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I've tended to stay away from either Naked palette.  I do like neutrals especially for work, but there is just too much glitter in the Nakeds!  So partly your decision should be based on how much you enjoy using glitters, metallics, and super-shimmery shadows.  They are tons of fun for sure, for me though my makeup use is mostly for work so it wouldn't be worth it for me.  

I have a ton of Stila shadows and they are pretty high quality and I almost bought the In the Light palette just for the absolutely gorgeous Night Sky shade which isn't available separately.  With the inclusion of the cult-favorite Kitten and nice variety for all-over base colors, crease colors, even black for a smoky eye, it's definitely very versatile.

I couldn't justify it because I already have the Laura Mercier Artist Palette for Eyes.  The color selection in the LM is more versatile, not just browns and bronzes like the Nakeds, plus half of the shadows are matte. 

JillMConnell

Thanks for this comment! I have been looking for a neutral palette for work looks - having recently gotten a new job with a much more conservative dress code, my usual purple eyeliner just doesn't fly during the week any longer.  I love me some Urban Decay but just couldn't justify the cost of Naked 1 or 2 because there is still so much shimmer.  I picked up the Stila palette this weekend and it is a perfect fit. Thank you!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Definitely the Urban Decay, it is so versatile and the shadow last and has a good quality, I think you'll be much happier with that. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • merengueknitter
    • drrragon
    • washingmachine
    • solveig
    • beautylovingirl
    • miabt