Share Your Tips to Minimize Under Eye Concealer Creasing

[ Edited ]

Please share your Personal Tips/Products/Tricks to Minimize Under Eye Concealer from Creasing. 

Also, what under eye products...Moisturizer/Primer/Concealer/Tool(s) do you use?

There are always products/suggestions/tips that are very helpful that haven't been tried or a new method to what may have worked in the past that needs tweaking as our skin changes! Smiley Happy

I have a personal interest in ALL your suggestions for Dry, Crepey or Mature Under Eye Skin Texture trouble shooting. 

P.S. I've had a sudden weight loss which makes my under eye area look like a deflated balloon. I'm unable to use HA's due to sensitivity having to ditch everything with high amounts of HA's.

This post isn't limited to my concerns...it's to address a Common Shared Concern by many people of under eye creasing with the use of make-up in general! Heart

Re: Share Your Tips to Minimize Under Eye Concealer Creasing

Great thread, I'll read all responses when I have a little free time in my hands because without makeup lines under and around my eyes are almost invisible but when I apply concealer basically to hide puffiness under eyes, all those lines under my eyes become very prominent.

[ Edited ]

Since puffiness and lines/crepiness is a textural issue, merely relying on a cosmetic product such as concealer which addresses matters with color is tricky territory. 

Think of it like this, if there's damage to a wall where there's either a crack or change in shape (for example's sake, let's say there was a leak and discoloration also occurred due to water damage), merely going over that spot in the wall with the same color of paint won't "fix" the crack or the shape, but it can hide the discoloration of the water spot. Concealer operates in a similar fashion.

Because textural issues (whether it's puffiness or crepiness/lines) plays upon how skin lays, the discrepancies caused can get amplified with shadows and lighting. When too much product is caked on, the undereyes can look even heavier and darker, hence why cosmetic guides have the side note of using a shade or two lighter than your actual complexion for this area.

Etscore1 posted a thread about puffiness yesterday that may have some skin care approaches you might want to check out:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Getting-rid-of-puffy-under-eyes/td-p/1599554 

The tutorial I gave in the below also detail out how to address textural aspects more too for the undereye area:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Totally-new-to-makeup-Only-watched-youtube-videos-Co...

@lylysa

I've actually put that tutorial you wrote in a Word.doc some time ago & forgot I had it! Thanks for posting the link again!

No probs! Smiley Very Happy

I'm happy that my older posts can still be relevant and provide insight to matters.  

[ Edited ]

I wasn't going to respond just because I think concealer under eyes gets to be so personalized as we get older. But here's what I do..... [Note: I have just dark circles, with minimal puffiness.]

After cleansing, I use under my eyes and on the lids and under brows Dior Capture eye serum. Link: http://www.sephora.com/capture-totale-eyes-essential-serum-P302500  I'm not sure why I like this serum at all (many Dior skin products I dislike) but it's just so nice under the eyes--fast absorbing, no irritation no matter what, gives a smooth surface. It's hard to find a complete ingredient list but I found it on Paula's Choice (who rates this as being "Poor" but she's wrong for me on this product): Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sorbitol, Alcohol, Yeast Extract, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Algin, Sodium Hydroxide, Steareth-20, Mallow Extract, Disodium EDTA, Ruscus Aculeatus Root Extract Sorbitan Isostearate, Hydrolyzed Soy Flour, Kluyveromyces Extract, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-5, Evening Primrose Root Extract, Aframomum Angustifolium Seed Extract, Adenosine, Polysorbate 20, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Acrylate/ Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Biosaccharide Gum-2, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Tocopheryl Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Dimethylmethoxy Chromanol, Sodium Metabisulfite, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Potassium Sorbate, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Ethylhexylglycerin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Plankton Extract Citric Acid, Chrysin, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, BHT, Tocopherol, Sodium Citrate

I can frequently use this eye primer by itself (even though it's supposed to be followed by moisturizer); many times I skip my eye cream because I forget it. After I complete all my eye makeup, including mascara, I put on La Mer eye cream underneath--this is before application of anything else under the eye.

If I'm not wearing any concealer that day, I find that putting on some Laura Mercier under-eye brightening powder works well in toning down the dark circles. I'm not sure why this works (I know, supposed to not apply powder underneath eyes), but this works fine. Because my concealer has brightening/radiance effect in it, I don't use the LM brightening powder on days when I wear concealer.

If I'm going to wear foundation, I apply foundation before concealer, then concealer only where needed, then conservatively set with LM loose (not brightening) powder. If I'm not going to wear foundation, I lightly and sparingly apply my concealer (Nars Radiant concealer) under eye using a couple different brushes and then very lightly set it with LM loose (not brightening) powder. I have tried skipping powder under the eye but feel it looks messy and I prefer to set with powder; I don't get much creasing. The other day, I forgot to put my La Mer eye cream on before putting on my concealer, and was surprised that my concealer seemed to have even less creasing, so I'll have to try that again.

For brushes, I use Le Metier de Beaute Large Concealer Brush, which is flat and wider than most concealer brushes--it's similar to a foundation brush but much smaller. (I used to use a traditional concealer brush but it was so small-- I like to be a bit quicker working around my eyes because most concealers I use dry pretty quickly.) I have a pointed concealer brush from Sephora for tricky corners if needed. For buffing, I use Hakuhodo Duo Fibre Eye Shadow Brush Round J214R, which is soft but dense enough to do its business.

My night cream for eyes, which can be put over and under lids, is Dr Brandt. This stuff is just really nice. I think I just bought my third jar. The jar is over-the-top in its gawky design, which I try to forgive. Here is a link: http://www.sephora.com/do-not-age-with-dr-brandt-triple-peptide-eye-cream-P383053  with ingredients here: Water, Shea Butter, Lecithin, Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Palmitate, Siloxanetriol Alginate, C12-16 Alcohols, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Lactate, Octyldodecyl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Jojoba Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Bis-Hydroxyethoxypropyl Dimethicone, Palmitic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-3-Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Betaine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acetyl Citrull Amido Arginine, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Lavender Oil, Xanthan Gum, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Caffeine, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Tetrasodium Edta, Bht, Ascorbic Acid Polypeptide, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Pca, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Phospholipids, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium Edta, Ceramide 3, Polyglyceryl-10 Stearate, Sunflower Seed Oil, Grape Fruit Extract, Sorbic Acid.

@DiVWA

I'm glad you posted!

The DR. BRANDT SKINCARE Do Not Age with Dr. Brandt Triple Peptide Eye Cream looks like something I may be able to use. lylysa always mentions using Peptides. I just need to have everything approved first which is so frustrating. Now, I'm scheduled for another round of testing for chemical allergies since things are getting worse. Thanks for posting!

Also, the product with the ingredient list is very helpful. I see that you're able to use brightening formulas whereas I can't because the texture as well as the dimensional issues from under eye bags. Whenever I use anything with reflective pigments, it makes the bags more prominent. I've tried various tricks such as placing brightening/luminous products ABOVE the bags, yet find that matte flattens the appearance of the bags for me.

I really want to try the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer! I've read the description & it has so many benefits...and I see where it says it can be used under a foundation. If that's the case, the full coverage foundation would cancel out any reflective pigments.

My personal way to tackle crepey or textured skin for the undereye area from working with clients is to kick things off with skin care.

Find an eye cream or treatment that's repairative (either fortified with retinol/vitamin A, amino acids, or peptides) and hydrating (whether it's through naturally sourced oils/butters, vitamin E, or humectants). Repairative components will aid in strengthening the undereye area, allowing you to build up natural defenses against the oncoming or present signs of aging, they will make skin stronger, more resilient, improve texture and tone, and help firm and tighten. Hydrating components will tackle the more immediate aspects of troubled skin as properly hydrated skin is less prone to have issues enhanced, plain and simple. Being able to have this area properly moisturized will ensure skin won't try to immediately pull all sources of moisture from cosmetic-based formulas which in turn may lead to issues like settling into fine lines/uneven areas or having make up appear caked or dried.

From there, consider an undereye primer. This is a relatively new concept in the cosmetics world, there's also the ability to use a bit of face primer along this area as well, but Smashbox's under eye primer is geared more to also condition the undereye (contains peptides and humectants) and not just form a barrier to even texture. 

Next, find a concealer formula that works best for your skin and the issue at hand. There's a slew of options to turn to, but try to find one that suits your wants and needs. For example, if you prefer liquid, try to be sure the liquid formula you're working with isn't too quick drying or too matted once set as this may emphasize harshness in problem areas, try to find a more emollient formula that gives a softer finish or merely one with a thinner texture so it won't feel and look so caked on. If you prefer potted concealers or full coverage creams, again, find an emollient formula that offers great pigmentation and opacity but with minimal use of product so you're not having to layer too much on. 

Don't be afraid to work with very fine, detail brushes compared to traditional flat concealer brushes that look like smaller flat foundation brushes. Finer brushes allow you to really focus on a particular area and avoid getting product in unnecessary areas that don't require as much attention. Buffing concealer brushes are great to diffuse product applied, use light pressure to go over portions and even use along edges where concealer meets back to skin/non-applied areas. 

Finally, if you're going to set this area with powder, find one that is finely milled. Grainier or coarser powders can look dusted very easily here, so test a powder by applying some to finger tips (whether it's loose or pressed, either dip finger into a bit of product or run over the pressed product) and rub fingers together. The powder should feel silky, almost buttery and very smooth, you shouldn't feel like it's instantly very dry or like you can feel separate particles. I personally recommend using a fan brush for this area to set. Fan brushes deposit a very fine amount of product, unlike a traditional powder brush and require less work. In other words, if you opt for a powder brush, the chances to overload/over apply is much easier and greater there then compared to using a tool like the fan brush. Do a light sweep of powder, my rule of thumb is that it's easier to start with a little and go back and add if needed compared to applying too much from the get-go and then trying to remove/thin things back down.

[ Edited ]

@lylysa

I have a brand new unopened tube of Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer I bought several months ago. I forgot I had already bought a tube, tried it, didn't work.Looking at the ingredient list again, wondering if I could use it on top of eye serum/cream as a good for under eye area barrier. 

I'm currently taking a course of oral 7-Day Prednisone as well as a prescription topical steriod under my eyes which in itself is terribly drying & bad for skin. I'm not permitted to apply anything else until I go back for my follow up next week. I also have an appointment with Allergy/Immunology scheduled because my sensitivity issues are happening too frequently with a variety of skincare products. Smiley Sad

Definitely stick by the time frames for the medication, I believe the Smashbox primer does contain sodium hyaluronate, but it's not until later on the ingredient list. When you tried it prior did you wear it along without any prior eye creams/treatments? If the formula and use of SH isn't going to raise any red flags for your sensitivity, try layering it over an eye product so it serves as more of an extra bit of "cushion" in prepping undereyes for a smoother make up application.

Best of luck in getting things balanced out and settled with the visits you have scheduled!

@lylysa

OMG, thank you for mentioning that Smashbox has HA in it!  

"...Definitely stick by the time frames for the medication, I believe the Smashbox primer does contain sodium hyaluronate, but it's not until later on the ingredient list...

"...When you tried it prior did you wear it along without any prior eye creams/treatments? If the formula and use of SH isn't going to raise any red flags for your sensitivity, try layering it over an eye product so it serves as more of an extra bit of "cushion" in prepping undereyes for a smoother make up application..."

I originally tried Smashbox before I had any eye issues, even before sensitivity to HA's was a problem. Seems like every skincare product I own has HA's in them! I bought it only to use it as a under eye primer, probably when it first came out(?). Forgot I tried it, didn't like it, stuffed it away in a drawer.  I recently bought a new tube a couple of months ago, didn't open it, because I found my old tube. I'm having to dig through all my products because I'm having to read labels to see if any HA's are in my products no matter how low on the list.  

January 2014 my chemical Allellgy/Immounolgy tests didn't show I was "allergic" to HA's. NOW, since any product with HA's whether on the bottom of the list is creating a reaction, my physician believes I may now be allergic to HA's that just took a long term exposure to an allergen. 

I mentioned I'm on a I'm currently taking a course of oral 7-Day Prednisone as well as a prescription topical steroid under my eyes. I'm also now armed with a prescription of EpiPen. This  recent reaction that warranted using the 'big guns' was the use of two products I had cleared by both my dermatologist/ophthalmologist. 

CAUDALIE Premier Cru The Eye Cream AND CAUDALIE Vinosource S.O.S. Morning Eye Rescue. The HA's are listed way on the bottom of the ingredient list so I was able to use both these products without any problems. However, when I applied it as usual a few days ago after my shower, I had a sudden inflammatory response with the most severe edematous affect I've ever had, was seen by my primary care physician immediately, given an injection of epinephrine

No probs, I recalled your mention of the sensitivity and figured full disclosure would be best. Smiley Happy

Silicone/dimethicone based primers can be lightly applied to the undereye area as well (avoid getting it too close to the lash line of course) to prime since the S/D forms a bit more of a substantial barrier to prevent product from settling into lines/crepiness.

If the allergy to SH has increased and worsened with time, definitely play it on the safe side. 

Ahhh EpiPens! My cousin's girlfriend carries a bag of medication and EpiPens for her multiple allergies and is constantly getting tested and retested to get up to date results on what she is and no longer allergic/reactive to. Have you been diagnosed with any other allergies that you've come across that may be problematic in terms of beauty/body care items? I'm wondering if there may be additional components you may be reactive to alongwith SH that is amplifying the reactions.

@lylysa

All these showed slight to moderate inflammation/reaction: octinoxate , octocrylene , avobenzone,  homosalate, octisalate, otocrylene, oxybenzone

I've developed topical salicylate sensitivity issues as well. This next round of testing may indicate that I've progressed from salicylate sensitivity to allergic. That's another reason why I have recently been prescribed EpiPen because my no reaction to products turned sensitivity to allergic type reactions/symptoms have progressed suddenly. Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

Ahhhh, chemical sunscreens. 

As much as it's no fun to have the elevation from reactions to full blown allergies, I'm very happy to hear that you're on top of things and not afraid to venture to professionals for a better grasp. This can definitely save a lot of time and headaches, especially in terms of being best prepared to know what to avoid to minimize future chances of irritation.

Hi there,

At 43, I definitely have mature - and dry - under eye skin. For the past 10 years I've been trying concealer after concealer in the hope of finding the HG, but now I found a different approach that seems to work: In the morning following showering, I apply Estee Lauder Advanced Repair Eye Serum or Verso Super Eye Serum beneath a rich, dark-shadow-reducing eye cream (currently La Prairie White Caviar). I then use a primer (liking Hourglass at the moment, but also like Benefit's Stay Don't Stray for the eye area), and follow with BB Cream (Estee Lauder Double Wear), as this tends not to settle into my fine lines or crease. I skip concealer, and if I still have some darkness, I add a tiny amount of Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. I'm finding this far better than concealer, as it does not crease or settle into fine lines, and it lasts all day.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@ballerinagrl

I used both La Prairie White Caviar eye cream & serum for two months before I had to stop. Not sure what caused the sensitivity, started out looking pink then became itchy. I've never tried Estee Lauder Advanced Repair Eye Serum, I just got a sample from a promo code. Need to clear it with my dermatologist & ophthalmologist. 

Thanks for this thread.  I find myself blending foundation/concealer/tinted moisturizer, etc in all day, and I have yet to find a miracle product or technique.  I will be trying some of the suggestions, because I am so dry under my eyes.  

I do use an eye serum and an eye cream every morning, because using only one or the other does not provide enough moisture for me.  I usually skip the concealer all together, but I do a very light layer when I do wear it, because concealer tends to fall into my under eye lines worse than anything else.

(0) Hearts

@notcreative

I started this thread hoping to get as many ideas that others are using to tackle this common concern shared by so many! What works for one person doesn't work for another.

There are times I can skip the concealer as well since I do use a full coverage foundation. When I have to wear concealer, it's generally only in two 'strips'  sometimes only one, depending on what's going on with my eyes.

The main area that usually needs concealing from the shadow created under is the puffy/bag area. I don't like to pack on more product than necessary because it actually acts as 'weight' to already thin weak/fragile loose mature skin. So, I'm a minimalist & use concealers that color correct. 

If I can, I would rather use layers of foundation stippling/tapping it in with a soft eye shadow brush gently smooth the edges with a fluffy soft blending brush. The image is where I would have to add concealer. I really hate concealer! I'm really hoping to find out what others are doing to deal with concealer settling into lines & creasing.

EyeConcealerPurple.jpg

Try putting your foundation under your eye and then less concealer on top of that. By putting the foundation under your eye, you do not have to use as much concealer resulting in less product to produce creasing. 

Also, try opting for lightweight products and patting in with your finger then blending the excess with a brush!

There's my two cents,

Michael, xo

I think it also has to do with your skin type. I put my concealer after foundation and noticed that cream or stick concealers make creases while liquid concealer doesn't.

@SportyGirly125

Skin type & texture play a huge role in my concealers/foundations.

It's especially difficult for me since I have intermittent problems with watery eyes which makes the choice of products either cream water resistant vs. creamy liquid hydrating concealers. I do notice a big difference with the lighter weight liquid products vs. the solid ones. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • eye massage.jpg
  • 57.jpg
  • smoothing.jpg
  • 4286-21054.gif
  • EyeConcealerPurple.jpg