beauty4ashes

Share Your Tips to Minimize Under Eye Concealer Creasing

[ Edited ]

Please share your Personal Tips/Products/Tricks to Minimize Under Eye Concealer from Creasing. 

Also, what under eye products...Moisturizer/Primer/Concealer/Tool(s) do you use?

There are always products/suggestions/tips that are very helpful that haven't been tried or a new method to what may have worked in the past that needs tweaking as our skin changes! :smileyhappy:

I have a personal interest in ALL your suggestions for Dry, Crepey or Mature Under Eye Skin Texture trouble shooting. 

P.S. I've had a sudden weight loss which makes my under eye area look like a deflated balloon. I'm unable to use HA's due to sensitivity having to ditch everything with high amounts of HA's.

This post isn't limited to my concerns...it's to address a Common Shared Concern by many people of under eye creasing with the use of make-up in general! :heart:

beauty4ashes

Re: Share Your Tips to Minimize Under Eye Concealer Creasing

(0) Hearts

@immichaeld

Agree with using a brush! However with texture issues of mature skin, especially if the skin is loose as well, using fingertips can enhance my lines. The tip of a Beauty Blender seems to work better for me. I just bought the baby BB's, micro.mini & found that it does work for that purpose, yet I can still use the original BB for the exact same results. The micro.mini BB may be too small for larger fingers or long nails.

notcreative

I agree with applying foundation before concealer.  It also lets me see if I "need" concealer at all once I've applied the foundation (in addition to the benefits listed above).  If I am happy with the way it looks, I skip it.  

immichaeld

Definitely! That is exactly what I do as well. I often find myself never using concealer!

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@immichaeld

Oh to have the skin of a 22 year old! :heart:

I hope what you learn on BT will help when you're skin changes...every decade brings on new challenges!  

AND hormonal changes as well...yes, when testosterone levels drop, your skin change.

MarciaBrady

Using a moisturizer definitely helps. I battle crepeyness as well, and recently started using the Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer and haven't had any of the usual problems. It glides on without tugging and doesn't require much blending as it practically melts onto the skin. If you can't find a good fix for your current product, I recommend giving it a try.

http://www.sephora.com/hidden-corrective-concealer-P193236?skuId=1341080

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@MarciaBrady

I've never tried or looked into HOURGLASS Hidden Corrective Concealer. That's what's great about BT is hearing about products others use! I like the description you gave about how "... It glides on without tugging and doesn't require much blending as it practically melts onto the skin..."

jemly

i've found that if my under eyes are properly hydrated, i won't have much of a problem. i currently use bobbi brown hydrating eye cream, night and day. this eye cream is fantastic for hydration, specifically. (i don't expect any eye cream to do anything to these dark circles -- they're here to stay !). i make sure it's absorbed before applying NARS radiant creamy concealer (which is also a hydrating in and of itself). i put it on with the applicator and then blend / tap with my finger. i find it looks much more natural if i use my finger rather than a brush. basically, i think the key is to not use too many products to ensure absorption and smoothness. 

i've read often, too, that gel formulas are best for puffy eyes though i can't attest to this personally. 

End0ra

I think I may have stumbled on something today.

My usual morning routine for eyes is 

• Clarins HydraQuench serum
  • Origins Plantscription Anti-aging eye cream
  • Prime with Smashbox Iconic Photo Finish primer (and let it set)
  • 4 dots under each eye of Diorskin Nude Skin Perfecting Hydrating Concealer
  • Gently tap in with fingers
  • Blend with beauty blender

So this morning I did all that, and was putting on some Urban Decay eyelid primer before I did concealer, and absent-mindedly put it on under my eyes as well.  Thought I'd see how that worked out, so I kept it and did the usual concealer over the top.  The texture is not unlike the Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, but the finish is a little drier.  So far, so good.

I've got the dry and mature texture thing going on.  mrsbaine is right - it starts with skincare.  Moisture, moisture, moisture and making sure the eye skin is looked after with appropriate products. You can trouble shoot with makeup there only so much.  The sucky thing about aging is that you just have to live with much of it, so prevention or minimizing is much better than trying to cover it, especially when texture is the issue.

Also, do not use powder under there ever ever ever once you start looking less than youthful.  A concealer like the Dior that dries to a very light, powdery finish is the closest I will go.  But no more, or else I start to look like Baby Jane.

4286-21054.gif

beauty4ashes

(0) Hearts

@End0ra

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have extremely sensitive skin & a lot of products I can't use that hydrate such as HA's. So, I'm finding it difficult to find a good eye cream. The HA sensitivity began about 6 months ago. Seems the products that I had best results with hydration that I already had, I can't use them any longer.  Also, my skin texture especially eye area drastically changed when I lost a considerable amount of weight in a very short time recently due to stress. I didn't used to need an under eye primer yet thinking that's my only option under I regain some weight. 

P.S. I kind of feel like I'm starting to look like Baby Jane that's what I look like now with the weight loss. I'm on a quest to find all new skincare & make-up...again. :smileyfrustrated:

End0ra

Ahhh.  Ok.  Well, if I may, here's a few things that might help you rehabilitate that eye area.  And for context, I also have very sensitive skin, so these are things I've discovered over the years that my skin can cope with.

But first, a little science lesson - I bet you anything that the stress situation is playing a bigger part in your skin than the weight loss.  A 2001 study found that found that stress has a negative effect on the barrier function of the skin, resulting in water loss that inhibits the skin’s ability to repair itself.  I'm not a doctor (though I do dress like one sometimes), but I would bet that if can't retain natural fluid in your eye skin and you've lost that barrier function due to stress, that would explain the sensitivity to any kind of acid.  Even good ones.

My skin reacts to bad stress sometimes by breaking out into little red, itchy, eczema-like patches.  I get them on my eyelids and pinkie fingers.  The only thing that will help with that is a cortisone cream from my doctor for a few days.  So if you ever get anything like that, go see your doctor and don't assume it's just a reaction to your skincare products.  The problem could be coming from inside rather than outside.

But, on to the funner stuff:

• Oil.  It's counter-intuitive for the eye area because it is generally considered too heavy for that delicate skin and can lead to puffiness, but in times of extreme stress can be just the thing.  Some years ago I had an all Guerlain facial which was supposed to be for sensitive skin, but I had a bad reaction to it and it just about burned my skin off.  A pure oil was the only thing my skin could bear; everything else stung.  I started with olive oil because it was all I had, and then switched to squeezing out the oil from an Evening Primrose capsule.  Both soothed and helped.
  • These days, I'm into organic Rosehip oil.  It's full of Vit C and antioxidants and is so good for your skin.  You could dab it on neat at night.  For a DIY eye cream that is nice and gentle, seek out a simple, plain moisturizer with a bit of body (not too watery) that will serve as a basic hydrating medium and mix it with some Rosehip oil.  Something with shea butter, even better.  A lot of shea butter products are marketed for body skin rather than face skin, but don't worry about that.  Just try to go as plain and pure as possible.
  • In all my years dealing with sensitive skin, I've consistently found that Clarins skincare gives me no trouble and is really good quality.  They tend to stick with quite botanical based formulas and no HAs - they made  great skincare long before fancy-schmancy acids came along!  Sephora stocks their Eye Contour Balm.  It's chickory, shea butter and rosewater.  Calming and hydrating.
  • Clarins also has a Skin-Soothing Eye Mask (not stocked by Sephora online) which I have used as a daily eye cream.  Great stuff.

And really, look after your health.  Boring, I know.  But like I said, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the stress you've been through has caused changes to your body chemistry which has affected your skin.  Drink lots of water, eat well (gain weight!) and try to channel some energy into things that will help you deal with stress in your life.  Me time.  Happy talk.  Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens and all that crap. :smileyhappy:

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@End0ra

Great tips healing tips...thanks again for the details which are very helpful.

Stress & skin issues always exacerbate one another! Horrible painful cycle.

"...I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the stress you've been through has caused changes to your body chemistry which has affected your skin..."     You're correct. I know the exact date/year when everything began to change. 

jemly

whatever happened to her ?! :smileywink:

End0ra

I don't know.  But did you know we got rats in the cellar?

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi Beauty4ashes,

To prevent creasing, I like to 'layer' my eye cream. I use my eye cream first and then a eye roller type of eye serum to allow the concealer to go on smoothly. I noticed that this primes my eyes for the concealer.

eye massage.jpg

I also suggest using a fluffy type of brush, SEPHORA COLLECTION Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57 to prevent creasing and cakey-ness. Buff in a circular motion outward.

57.jpg

Also make sure that the concealer type is ideal for the under eye. I like to stay away from heavier formulas as those work best around the face. I recommend the Sephora Collection Smoothing & Brightening Concealer.

smoothing.jpg

<3 Melissa
dziggi

That's a really clever idea to layer under eye creams. I will definitely give that a try since I always have issues with creasing under the eye.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

@Dziggi-

I was frustrated one day because of the same thing! I would end up with creasing and have to start all over again. I thought why not mix eye creams since I had a few around that I did not love on their own. It totally worked:smileywink:

<3 Melissa
HelloCoffee

Melissa, that concealer brush is my HG!!!!!!  A lovely SA introduced it to me a few months ago and my under eyes never look cakey! I also love the Clinique roller-ball!

melissabt

@HelloCoffee,

Its awesome isn't it! I also love using it for a brow highlight, it really buffs out the shadow really nicely. Sometimes, with a flat brush the brow highlight area can look a bit too heavy.

<3 Melissa
beauty4ashes

@melissabt

I've never thought of using a serum over an eye cream, will definitely see how it works out.  

notcreative

I was always told to apply items from thinnest to thickest for the best absorption.  My eye serum goes under my eye cream.  Doing them the other way around may prevent the serum from absorbing as well as it should.  That said, if Melissa is using her serum as a primer, it makes sense to apply it on top of eye cream.  I have tried a couple of specific under eye primers, but they did not seem to make a difference.  Thus, I have not purchased any of the samples I've tried.  I do occasionally put lid primer under my eyes as Endora suggested, because it is considered your lower lid.  It does not work well for me, but I could see it working for others based on their skin type.

My lids are opposites though, so it makes sense that they need different products.  My upper lids are very oily, and my lower lids are very dry.

melissabt

I've tried it both ways! I just like applying it this way since I feel like it 'seals' in the moisture of the eye cream.

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 49 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • mrsbaine
    • SportyGirly125
    • HelloCoffee