Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes

SOS - My Watery-Eye dilemma!!

So, I've never used this before but I was wondering if anyone can relate or has advice!

Since the dawn of time (me experimenting with make up at age 11) I have struggled with finding an eyeliner or mascara that is long lasting. 

My eyes are watery I guess and spend most of my day wiping of make up from underneath my eyes. I've tried primers, pencil liners, liquid liners, gel liners, felt-tip pen liners. Water proof mascara, high end mascara, regular mascara. I have yet to find a product that stays on my eyes.

Today I ordered the stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner, Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara and an Urban Decay Primer potion. 

I'm hoping these products will work well! 

Does anyone have any staple products they use that are long lasting?

Re: SOS - My Watery-Eye dilemma!!

Girl, this is me! I recently got eyelash extensions, and it is life-changing! Before I did that, I found that Lorac Pro Lash Fiber mascara is the best, and I have tried them all! Does not run, but can still be removed. I use liquid liner, and the best one for not running is Lancome Grandiose Liquid liner. Does not run! Hope this helps. It took me years to figure these out. 

I'll second @wickedlollipop's advice on the eye drops. I now use a prescription drop for allergies plus preservative-free hydrating drops from the drugstore and it really has helped. 

For years, when my eyes watered and itched really badly, I used blinc mascara. It's the tubing kind, so it doesn't run or flake at all (flakes really compounded my runny itchy eye problem). Stila stay all day is a great liner, it's my favorite liquid (although I haven't tried that many since I've stuck with the Stila so long!) 

I have the exact some problem!  I use Kat Von Ds Liquid Eyeliner and I really like it. Its still not great but its the longest-lasting that ive found so far

Also wanted to mention this Clinique bottom lash mascara. It doesn't budge. Every mascara smudges under my eyes except for this. It comes off with warm water. Even my makeup remover or micelar water doesn't take it off. I love this stuff!

http://www.sephora.com/bottom-lash-mascara-P279510?skuId=1305358&icid2=products%20grid:p279510

@cassietea Please update this thread if you find something that works! I have Crohns Disease and one of the fun side effects for me is uveitis which causes swelling of the eye and my left eye "leaks" all the time. Allllll the time and no matter how water

proof a liner claims to be my watery eye will break it down in under 30 minutes. People always think I'm crying.

I've had the best luck with the Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner. I know Make Up For Ever's big thing is how waterproof their liners are supposed to be and I bought a bunch of their different ones trying to buy into their hype but they were pretty terrible and flaked and smudged off almost immediately. 

@starsandbucks @cassietea I have watery eyes too, lots of allergies and just a predisposition to it I guess. Mostly my right eye too. 

I don't do this daily because it's time consuming, but for special events, etc here's what I do. I put on my eye primer and then my undereye Concealer. I then take a wet Beauty Blender and spray it with a setting spray, usually UD. I then tap it in the corners of my eyes, blending it with my concealer. Then I put on whatever eyeliner I'm praying will work that day, let it dry and give a quick spritz of the setting spray. 

It works pretty well. Just be careful not to get the setting spray in your eyes. I'm still searching for a black liner that will stay put on my waterline. Even using black shadow to set it doesn't work. And I think I've tried them all. Would love to hear any other recommendations you all have for sometiing that stays put.

So far, I've tried the combination of Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion, Too Faced's Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara and Stila's Stay All Day waterproof Liquid Liner. 

It has been a world of a difference! I still get some smudging under the eyes depending on the activity I'm doing, but now I actually have liner on by the end of the day! Before It barely lasted until noon. I'm pretty impressed right now.

I have the same problem and one thing thats really helped with mascara smudging under my eyes is baking with translucent powder directly under my lower lash line and also the UD perversion mascara. I  would also recommend the LA girl glide on liner for the waterline - it's only $3 and it lasts longer than any other liner I've tried in my waterline. I also doesn't smudge out to my outer corners throughout the day like most do. Also try setting any eyeliner with black eyeshadow. 

Hi @cassietea,

I have this issue as well. It is so annoying to take the time to perfect a winged eyeliner and then to have it ruined because my eyes decided to water from yawning. 

The Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner is one of my favorites. My favorite mascara is Benefit The're Real Mascara. It does not budge.

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Wow! I've never thought about going to an eye doctor for it or using drops! That is so helpful and makes total sense. I'll give that a try, thanks!! 

@cassietea you're welcome. those eye drops are over the counter and found at most places (target, CVS, etc). I happened to be at a routine eye exam and finally asked! the drops also help with the "something invisible is in my eye" feeling I get at times (again, doc said that's a "dry eye" symptom and nothing was really in my eye!). 

@cassietea I can relate to the watery eyes and I get the same issues with eye makeup. finally I asked my eye doctor and she basically said my watery eyes are actually from my eyes being dry so she said to use some of those hydrating eye drops like Systane. that does seem to help me, in terms of making my eyes less watery. I know this isn't a makeup recommendation but honestly those eye drops seem to reduce all the random watery eyes for me! (I just need to try to remember to put the eye drops in before doing makeup, they do help). other eye drop brands are likely good, she just said to find the hydrating kind and try to avoid the redness ones like Visine.

@wickedlollipop Thanks so much for telling us about this. I never thought about it, but living in So Cal and having to sleep with a humidifier nightly, I'll bet anything my eyes are dried out. I'll be buying some eye drops asap. 

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 24 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing