mberteig

Reviving mascara that's dried out?

(0) Hearts

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new tube of mascara and it seems to be slightly dried out, as it is very thick and difficult to apply.  When I pull the wand out of the tube, it is like a solid cylinder, you can't even see the brush bristles at all unless you scrape all the product off.  Is there any way to revive it, like adding a few drops of makeup remover, water, or something else to it?  Thanks!

mberteig

Re: Reviving mascara that's dried out?

I bought it online, and I have the receipt.  I live close to a Sephora store and have returned things there in the past with no problem.  I think I will go tomorrow and see if I can return it.  Thanks for all the advice, you guys are great!  I'm new here but have been having a lot of fun!

mberteig

I took it back today and was able to return it.  The ladies at my local Sephora are so nice!  Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

melissabt

(0) Hearts

That's great to hear, mberteig!

<3 Melissa
beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I'm so glad I figured it would all be just fine!:smileyhappy:

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

I say take it back. Sounds like you got yourself a bad tube! 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I wouldn't add anything to it, if it is a newer purchase and was like that when you first got it i would take it back for a new one

grilledchz

(0) Hearts

Sometimes I use eye drops to revive slightly dry mascara. They're sterile, so you're less likely to contaminate your product. But it sounds like you bought a bad tube, so I'd return it.

beethousand

(0) Hearts

I would definitely return it if I were you. Many of the times I've read about reviving mascara seem like they would have a high risk of contamination of the product. Definitely don't want to put something gross near your eye!

jaimelove

(0) Hearts

one thing you can do: run the wand under hot water until it runs clear, then put it in the tube and mix around a bit. the heat and the little bit of moisture still on the wand will help loosen and soften the dried mascara. don't drip water into it, though, you'll probably turn it into a runny mess. i wouldn't recommend doing this too often, but unless you're pumping air into the tube or there's a fault somewhere in the packaging that lets air in, this shouldn't need to be done very often. 

garnett

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It's not like nail polish that can be thinned with nail polish remover.  Makeup remover would probably make it unable to  adhere properly to your lashes and so it would run and smear.  The same may hold true with water.  IF you wanted to try the water I would recommend that it's for a one time only use because adding water to anything, including your shampoos and conditioners, will cause growth of bacteria and that could lead to all sorts of trouble.  Sorry I don't have an answer that would remedy this problem but I would hate to see you have a bad experience.

keelybt

Hi Mberteig  If that was a recent purchase, I recommend taking it back.

beautylovingirl

What mascara is it?

mberteig

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I just purchased the Pantone color of the year collection, and it is the green pantone mascara in the collection.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I agree with Keely take it back. :smileyhappy:

mberteig

(0) Hearts

Can I just return the mascara alone, as it was part of a set?  I'd like to keep the other items in the set...

keelybt

(0) Hearts

Did you purchase it online or in a store?

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think that would be fine just take your receipt and tell them you got the set but when you opened your mascara it was all dried up.

I'm sure they'll gladly exchange or compensate it however.:smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • mberteig
    • aviscardi
    • melissabt
    • beautylovingirl