chi82

Oily eyelid / eye liner help!

(0) Hearts

I hope one of you gurus out there can help me with this.  My eyelids tend to get oily over the course of the day and that leads to my eyeliner leaving an imprint up on the lid where it touches.  (Does that make sense?)  I'll look in the mirror in the afternoon at work and there will be a faint arch up above my crease that looks like a stamp from the liner.  This has happened with pencil (Sephora 12 hour waterproof jumbo liner, MUFE Aqua Eyes, Lancome Le Stylo), gel, and liquid (Lancome Art Liner & Eyeko Skinny Liner) liners.  It has happened with both the Urban Decay and Smashbox lid primers.  I love the way a little liner makes my eyes pop but I can't worry about this all day at work, especially when interacting with our clients.  I tend to wear pretty minimal eye makeup at work as well, so it's very noticeable.  Has anyone had this problem and figured out a solution?  I'll try anything at this point!  Thanks!

kd006

Re: Oily eyelid / eye liner help!

(0) Hearts

Okay you need to use a waterproof eyeliner. You NEED to try the tarte ones waterproof amazonian clay 24 hour cream eyeliners. They are amazing!! I own every color as of yesterday because I seriously won't use anything else. They will not budge once you put them on. Seriously. If you go to the store and swatch it, try and rub it off of your hand once it sets. You can't. If that still isn't good enough (which it should be), then use an eye primer. NARS is the best. Smudge proof eyeshadow base. It helps get rid of the oiliness. I always set that with a shadow even if I don't want to wear shadow that day. I always just use foxy from my UD basics palette. It's just a nice matte that goes with my skin tone. It takes me 2 seconds to do that in the morning. Just go lid to brow with the color. Use a little bit of a shimmery shadow on the brow bone and inner corner if you like.

Hope this all helps!!

BostonNatalya

(0) Hearts

I've found a product that remedies this problem if you are able to get the eyeliner to go on over the primer-covered oily areas of your eyelids.  It doesn't not solve the problem of not being able to get the liner on, which I am trying very hard to find an answer to, but it will keep your eyeliner in place all day.  If you forget to take it off before bed, you will wakeup with your liner on, even if the power has worn off on your pillow.  It's called Weather Everything by I.D.  I used to be able to find it at Sephora, but I suppose they stopped carrying it.  It's pricey for a small bottle, but that small bottle lasts for at least three or four months at the minimum.  I order mine from Amazon.

candyeyed

(0) Hearts

eyeshadows have never worked for me, in fact ive found its made the problem worse because then the shadow just mixes with the oils and it smears even more! If you have this problem 

1. wear a primer, itll help cut down on the oil. I use urban decay primer potion

2 wear a smudgeproof waterproof eyeliner, now alot of eyeliners claim to do this but i have only found one (YES, ONE!) that actually is and i rarely use it. The reason why i rarely use it is because its not matte, it dries with a bit of a sheen to it, almost like rubber or vinyl... and the one i have is called l'oreal lineur intense and it looks like mascara kinda. U pull out the paintbrush just like a wand out of the cartridge. If you could care less if your eyeliner is matte then i HIGHLY reccommend this liner!!!!! I always take it if im on the go because i never need a primer with it, its that good! And my eyes transfer like crazy!

So after that dries if you want to add some extra staying power you could dust on some setting powder. The one i use is by MUFE and its the HD powder however i dont usually use it on my eyelids, but it is a good setting powder.

mangosong

(0) Hearts

Have you tried using a setting spray after applying your make up? I use Urban Decay's DeSlick Oil Control Settying Spray.

chi82

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions!  This week I tried a little black eyeshadow over two different pencil liners and a gel liner.  Oddly enough, it worked for my left eye but my right eye still had issues.  (So weird)  I did not try setting anything with hairspray because that just doesn't sound totally safe.  I know people do it but between my contacts and allergies, I just don't think that sounds like a good idea for me.

Thank you for the tips on different liners and primers to try!  I ordered a Bobbi Brown gel liner the other day and the next time I am near a Sephora I will ask for samples of both the Too Faced Candlelight Primer and the Lorac Behind the Scenes Primer to try out.  I'll also be on the lookout for NYX products!  If anyone has any other bright ideas or specific product recommendations feel free to let me know!  And thank you all again for the awesome suggestions so far!

Apocalyptica

I had this problem for the longest time too until I started shopping at Sephora. I tried a number of different primers until I found one that finally worked for me, even different eyeliners did it as well. I use Too Face Shadow Insurance Candlelight primer, even the regular Too Faced Shadow Insurance didn't work for me and Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner. It's a great liquid eye liner that dries really quickly and lasts even longer than 24 hours.

snoopyb53

You NEED the Bobbi Brown gel liners. Every color has staying power. I have very oily skin and eyelids. I do use an eyeshadow primer, but this stuff sets and DOES NOT MOVE. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny. It is my holy grail eyeliner and I will never use anything else. I also have best results when I use the eyeliner brush from Bobbi, but you can use whatever brush you already own, I am sure. Try it and let me know what you think!! :smileyhappy:

tclack

Dabbing some powder over the liner is a good idea, but even better is the Lorac Behind the Scenes primer. It will keep the lid from getting oily enough to grab on. I used to crease and have transfer so bad until I started using that primer. (IMHO better than UD or Too Faced, for sure). Good luck! :smileyhappy:

solveig

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I've had the same problem as you do. I even tried pretty much the same eyeliners as you. One thing I've noticed with Urban Decay's and MUFE eyeliners is that their quality (meaning staying power) varies from shade to shade. I don't know if you like playing with colors, but it is something to consider.

Putting eyeshadow over liner sometimes works, but it depends on the eyeshadow you're using. And this adds an extra step to your makeup routine. Yes, I am that lazy :smileyhappy: I haven't tried the hairspray trick, but I wear contacts and I am afraid that it will get into my eyes during the day, which would make for an extremely painful time.

Another solution that I have found are NYX Slide On Eye Pencils. Sephora doesn't carry them, however ULTA does, and you can get them from NYX itself. They are very similar to Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencils (good colors, great staying power, easy to apply, etc.), but I've found them to be more consistent in quality throughout their color range. They are also a lot cheaper.

I hope you find the solution that fits you best! :smileyhappy:

bananachoox3

I agree wtih lainathelion with setting your eyeliner with matte eyeshadow to your eyeliner. Use an angled eyeliner brush and smudge it onto the line that you made. I also know hairspray will make certain things stay put but I'm not sure if its okay to spray hairspray? You can also try making a thiner line but if you don't want that then matte eyeshadow should do the trick. 

lainathelion

Try using a black matte eyeshadow on top of your liner, and then spray with a littlle hairspray. I know this sounds crazy but it works miracles. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • tclack
    • solveig
    • snoopyb53
    • chi82
    • Apocalyptica