kimmi1115

Newbie to Liquid Eye Liner

Since I've been working on a fifties type of look, I decided to practice with a drugstore liquid liner.  At the moment, I'm practicing with the Cover Girl Bombshell liquid liner which has a felt tip.  The color stayed in place, but I'm still having difficulty using liquid liner in general.  Sometimes I get "bumps" in the line if that makes any sense.  I usually go for a thin line as well since, I think, my eyes are deep set.  

Another problem I've been having is the liquid seems to get on my lashes a bit which ends up affecting the mascara process.  With the liner on some of my lashes, they feel kind of stiff before I move on to applying my mascara.  

Does anyone have any advice on how to practice to improve the application or should I try a different type of liner?  

This is a picture of my first time working with a simple fifties pin up type of makeup style. Before I bought the Cover Girl liner, I was using the Elf liners (liquid on top, pencil on the bottom) which came with the Cruella De Vil makeup book.  The Elf liner brush was a pain at times, so I bought a felt tip one to practice with.  

1.jpg

MsStacey1990

Re: Newbie to Liquid Eye Liner

(0) Hearts

I use physicians formula 2-in-1 eye booster eyeliner its soooo amazing! the best eyeliner ive used out of 98273891748612 that ive used LOL.. 

Manda

(0) Hearts

I loved Lorac Pro Liner but of course, Sephora doesn't sell that anymore.

By the way, Kimmi, everytime I see your pictures, I wear you could be a model or something.

Graceann

(0) Hearts

Hey Kimmi! My favorite liner is the L'Oreal infallible liquid liner and it is amazing!!! Really all I can say is practice makes perfect:smileyhappy:)) 

CharliefromNY

I think your eyes look fab!....A good liner is by Chanel...It comes in a cake with little brushes...you add water to it and use the brush to apply....It works very well and stays on all day...lots of colors...Another good one is the pen by Armani, or the pen in black by Lancome...both draw an easy line and stay on for a long time....If you can't get a straight line you might want to try the gel liner by Bobbi Brown....It comes in a pot and you apply it with a very thin brush...stays on all day and comes in many many colors, including metallic....I wear it as my day liner every day...very reliable, not irritating, and never comes off...sometimes I layer a colored pencil over it (Laura Mercier makes a good one that doesn't come off all day...)

malday

[ Edited ]

Personally, felt tip pens are my LEAST favorite. I know a lot of people say they're easier for beginners but I find them clumsy and messy. I prefer a brush and a gel or cream liner. Since you're just practicing still you should try Wet 'n' Wild's Mega Eyes Cream liner since it's sold at a cheaper price point (less than $10 for sure) and works very well. The only down side to cream/gel liners is that they kind of dry out fast, but honestly liquid ones do too.

IF I'm using a liquid liner, I prefer a very fine brush tip like the one the Sephora Brand liner has. http://www.sephora.com/long-lasting-eyeliner-high-precision-brush-P303302

Since you're a beginner also, you might want to use a sharpened pencil or eye shadow to draw your shape first and then fill in with the liquid or cream.

The method I use is by drawing a line along my lashline, then creating the wing, and then filling it all in more but I suggest just trying all the methods until you find what's easiest for you. And practice!

clarks18

I really like this look on you!  Very pretty.  I only use liquid liner.  Everyday no matter what.  I love winged liner but I even use the liquid just to line my upper lid with no wing.  It just looks so much cleaner to me than pencil or gel.  Just my preference. 

My favorite liquid is the Sephora 12HR Wear Liquid Liner.  It comes in quite a few colors too.  It's been the easiest liner for me to get used to using and now it's HG.  It's a felt tip liner and the tip isn't too soft so it doesn't move when applying.  When I first starting wingingmy liner with liquid I would always draw the line first then add the wings after watching some youtube videos I stopped doing it in that order.  I switched to drawing the wings first and then lining the lid.  It makes it easier to match up the wings because that's all thats there to concentrate on.  It's also easier to wipe away a single wing compared to having to wipe all your liner off and start over.  Also put your elbows on the table or vanity when drawing the lines and wings.  Sometimes keeping your arm stable really makes all the difference.  I like using a magnified mirror as well, not too magnified of course.  After you apply the liner be sure to give it a few seconds to dry then go in with a metal lash comb (carefully!!!) and comb the little liner clumps out of your lashes.  The more you practice the less that will happen.                                  

I like the Sephora liquid better than any others that I have tried.  NYX was not black enough and too flakey.  Kat Von D's liquid was beyond dry and applied way to clumpy.  Stila's liner pen dries out too fast and again it's not a very dark black.  MAC's Boot Black liquid was my old stand by but once I tried the Sephora brand there is no going back.  My two favorites are the Black Purple and Black.  They also have a really pretty navy blue and a gunmetal color.  Plus they are only like $12 and last a pretty long time easily at least a few months.  I would post a picture of me with the Sephora on my lids but, of course I am not able to load pictures right now on BT for some reason.

Stick with the liquid you'll get it! 

Titian06

Hi, Kimmi!  You look awesome!  I have wrinkly eyelids and on the rare occassion when I do wear eyeliner I have the best luck with MUFE Aqua Liner (I'm at work so I can't copy the link to this post, sorry!).  It has a foam tip shaped like a cone, so you can get a nice thin line; or if you use the side, a wider line.

For the record, I had always been a pencil girl until I tried this liner.  Meaning, my liquid liner skills were nil.  It only took me a couple of tries to get comfortable with using this MUFE liner.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thank you, and I know what you mean about the pencil liners.  Those are the ones's I've used since high school.  

Seiba

Do you use the liquid liners in pots? As in, you dip the brush much like an ink well and use that to draw? Sometimes, I find, those pots provide lots of pigment on the brush if you don't somehow wipe off the excess. Sometimes the colour ends up on the stem of the brush too and that's when you end up with the colour on your lashes, as the pigment sticks everywhere it touches. This is especially problematic with a thin line, or with lines very very close to your lashes. It happens to me a lot. I had a waterproof Wet n Wild liquid liner that did that and it was really hard to wipe off and made putting on mascara really difficult. 

With a pen liquid liner I find I don't have that problem, as the colour follows down into the brush only and doesn't affect the stem, so you don't end up with pigment on your lashes. On the other hand, pen liners sometimes dry up or clog up a lot faster than the wells. I personally use Kat Von D's liquid liner pen in Trooper if I want a really thin line, since I find the brush does not bleed as much as the felt tip line (although I would suspect this is also due to the formula, as more "liquid" formulas tend to run and are likelier to bleed). Problem is, it dries up a lot faster and the ink clogs up in the brush a lot, so I oftentimes have to shake it to have the ink run again (close the lid first, or else the ink would end up drying even more in the brush) or wipe a little on my hand to have it flow a bit better. The bumps that you're getting might be either:

1) the ink is drying up and it's skipping on your skin, creating spaces and skips instead of one continuous line. You can dip your brush again, wipe off the excess, and ensure the ink isn't dry; or you can lightly press on your eyelid to stretch the skin so that the ink doesn't skip on the skin bunching up on itself due to the liquid liner. 

2) the ink is really wet and it's getting into the fine lines in your eye. Do you close your eye really tightly? Does your eye sort of flutter when you start to draw? Happened to me when I started out, one way I did it was to look down and relax rather than close my eyes. The nerves obviously affects how smoothly the line is drawn. Also, if the ink is really wet, maybe try to wipe off the excess like you would with nail polish (if its a pot) so it wouldn't bleed out. 

Maybe it's just the product you're getting. Personally I don't enjoy felt tips in general since they're too stiff for me and the colour dries up too fast. However, Stila's liquid pens are really thin, which is good, and are quite pigmented, which is double good. You can try that, along with some of the methods others have posted here. I also know that NYX have really thin brushes for their pot liquid liners, which is nice if you really want a nice thin line with lots of pigment and staying power. MUFE's liquid lines are also really nice and thin, but are foam, which I don't like, but you might! 

Seiba

(0) Hearts

Just realized that I said ink when I meant to say colour. I had inkwell in my mind the whole time I was replying! Hah!

drrragon

[ Edited ]

wow, kimmi, what a striking look on you!!  very different from what I envisioned in the past when you told us about your dirtbike and running around playing with Brutus and him sitting on you, LOL.

What type of tip is your liquid liner that you're using now?  I remember having trouble with felt-tip liner pens because, just like you said, the line was always "bumpy".  But definitely liquid is the best kind for the look you described.  You might try something like a cake liner (a solid liner that you use with a wet brush, much like watercolor).

In either case, I've found that the absolute best brush to use with liquid liner for a super precise line is a bent liner brush.  Using a brush (instead of a felt tip) will ensure a smoother line, and the pointy shape of the brush head gives you total control over the thickness (or thinness) of the line.  For me, the bent brush head makes it a lot easier to use.

http://www.sephora.com/pro-bent-liner-brush-23-P313035?skuId=1419639

http://www.sephora.com/tightline-cake-eye-liner-P285323?skuId=1323203

upload_5016090683723591189.jpg

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thanks, and I have a variety of interests lol.  However, the country girl part is always a part of me lol.

I've not really heard of cake liners before, and I really like the idea of using a bent brush.  I'll have to look into that whenever I have the time to browse Sephora.  School started back and whatnot.  

LindenAnn

You could try using tiny little strokes instead of one continuous line, and then kind of set the liner with a black eyeshadow. It helps smooth out any inconsistencies on the line and also keeps the liner from smudging as the day goes on. I usually use that trick whenever I do winged liner. Just be sure to do it before foundation/concealer, because you WILL get fallout. I made that mistake once. lol

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I've never tried setting it with a black eyeshadow.  I've used eyeshadow as a liner many times, but it doesn't have the exact same bold appearance as eye liners have.  I'll give it and the other technique a try, too.  Thank you!

jenjendoitagain

You're so pretty!

As for the advice with the liner, I can't help you. I am in the same boat. I've never been good with eyeliner. At all! I love it, because it looks gorgeous on me when my friend does it...but I have no talent with it. My hand tends to shake too much. :smileysad:

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Thank you, and I know what you mean about eye liner.  It seems hard to find them perfect one to use.  I can find eyeshadows all day, but not eye liner lol.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • malday
    • Manda
    • kimmi1115
    • drrragon
    • Seiba
    • Graceann