SJarrar

New to using eyeshadow

Hey everyone! 

I'm really interested in starting to use eyeshadows, but I see so many different products and palletes and I honestly don't know where to start. I have brown eyes, brown/red hair, and pale skin so I really don't know what would compliment things like my eye, hair, and skin color.

I also love wearing matte makeup, so does that mean I should also use matte eyeshadows?

mkupgk

Re: New to using eyeshadow

image.jpg

WhereYouStand

(0) Hearts

start with neutrals if you don't use eyeshadow usually start out small and what you are comfortable with I would have to say Urban decay basics which is a matte set or if you want some glitz minimal but not too much try the naked2 palette which has shimmer in it. Either way when trying something new always go with what's comfortable before venturing into anything too vibrant or outlandish I'm not saying not to go to the more vibrant colors ever I'm just suggesting baby steps :smileyhappy: you want to look comfortable and project confidence from within as well as out. I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

SephoraLuhver1

(0) Hearts

Also, I found the Lorac Mint Edition. It comes with 4 Matte shadows and 4 shimmer shadows. It also comes with two different blushes and a lip gloss. You could even add different colored shadows to it and make your own look. It comes with quite a bit.

Daniela1387

(0) Hearts

I would stronglyyy suggest Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. It has 5 great colors that you can mix and match. The thing I love most about this palette is that I have used every single color since I'm new to the whole eye shadow world I wanted a palette that had colors I was actually gona use on a regular basis. Nothing worse than buying a palette that you only use 3 or 4 out of 10. But if you are willing to experiment with than the naked or naked 2 palette are great buys they have a variety of colors that you can again mix and match to make neutral looks and bolder ones. =)

mangosong

(0) Hearts

The two things I would invest in right off is:

1) a good eye shadow primer. I recommend Urban Decay. Your eye shadow will not move until you take it off. I have gone to the gym, sweat it up, and my eye shadow still looks perfect.

2) a good set of brushes. I recomend Sephora's pro line. Love it.

As far as shadows, I personally love Urban Decay shadows. However, if you are new to eye make up, both Too Faced and Benefit make eye shadow sets with instruction booklets to teach you how to use it. Or, you can always use YouTube.

ohmyjas

(0) Hearts

I personally go to my urban decay naked basics palette whenever I apply eye makeup.  I also am a fan of the UD smoked palette, but honestly, the naked basics palette is great! Neutral colors, all matte (with the exception of the highlighter color) and VERY pigmented/blendable.

rockhound0508

(0) Hearts

I reccomend trying some drugstore brands  until you figute out what colors and formula works for you.

There is powder, cream to powder, cream and liquid..pallets, sticks,tubs and wands

Lately I have been plzying with Loreal infallibl powder to cream  as well as Mabelline 24hr cream.

I watch a lot of youtube, but youmight want a lesson in store as well

desertbr4t

i think you should check out Youtube for some "makeup tutorials" to kind of learn where to start. There's one called Gossmakeupartist that has a video discussing eye shape and what approach is best for your partucular shape.  As far as colors are concerned...purple is always a winner with brown eyes.  I find it difficult to work with blue without looking like MiMi from the drew carey show.

start simply with one color, an eyeliner and mascara.  Make sure to buy some BRUSHES.   then when you are at home at night pick a tutorial and try to replicate the look.  you may not be able to do more than one a night cuz your eyes might get a little sore.  

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

swfupload_1564105161070140070.jpgI didnt truly start liking shadow until I tried urban decay, so I recommend getting one of their palettes, especially one with lots of different colors in it (think book of shadows or something like it). I really love the soft formula and pigmentation. I tried it 6-7 years ago, and to this day (and after trying many other shadows) its still my number 1 shadow from Sephora.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

this one looks great too. Less $$ too

s1482462-main-hero.jpg

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Not sure if UD still has it on their page, but their Deluxe Shadow Box is on sale for about $16 if you wanted some brights!

colorobsession

If you're just starting to build your eyeshadow collection, I think it's probably safest to start with classic colors that can worn day or night. You can always acquire more fun and funky colors over time. I also highly suggest buying a larger palette so that you have variety without spending a ton of money.

The Sephora + Pantone Universe Precious Metals Shadow Palette is on sale right now for only $27. It's got a beautiful selection of grays, browns, purples, pinks, and golds with both shimmery and matte options.

swfupload_3097686303894643033.jpg

I also own the Urban Decay Naked Palette as others have suggested (and it is, in fact, pretty awesome!), but I've also read great things about the LORAC Pro Palette and really would like to try it at some point. It even comes with a mini primer, which would be handy!
swfupload_7165986935516832153.jpgAs some of the other girls have said, primer really is key for eyeshadow application. It will make the colors truer and last much longer. I'm currently in love with NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. It's expensive, but it's fantastic.

swfupload_8251516071169636216.jpg

SJarrar

Everyone is suggesting I get a larger pallete, so I save money but the thing is, I'm not actually sure I'd use a lot of the colors if I did. :/ 

lylysa

Giant color palettes are a good investment, but if you're a bit intimidated or unsure of actual use, stick with what you're comfortable with.

You can always get a great, basics palette and pick up drug store palettes for a pop of color and to incorporate into different looks while you learn and master technique, then once you're more seasoned you can upgrade to higher quality color palettes! :smileyvery-happy:

lylysa

The suggestions you've gotten so far have been stellar!

The use of an eye shadow primer will be key no matter what type or brand of shadow you choose to prolong the wear, help colors come out more true to shade, and prevent fading/creasing.

Try looking into the eye palettes from Too Faced, they have a range of matte to satin to shimmer finishes in their shadows and come with tutorial cards for three eye looks. You can use them as guides to play with different shades and each kit comes with 9 shades, broken in 3 categories so it makes pairing colors a breeze. Once you get more used to technique you can swap colors around and venture to other brands as well.

They do have a matte palette, but you might look into their Naked Eye and Romantic Eye, both which suit fair skin very well and give a clean, enhanced look to eyes. The Romantic Eye kit also has some soft purples and olives if you want to add a pop of color without being too dramatic or bold.

Urban Decay's Naked Basics palette is also an option if you want to stick with neutrals and all matte shades!

kenny

I second drrragon, a large palette is the best way to go. Not only will it be cheaper, but you have a very large selection of colors to play around with. The Sephora Collection shadows are pretty decent qualtiy-wise so they will be easy to work with (for the most part). Then you don't end up spending $20 on a teal eye shadow you almost never wear :smileyhappy: 

You also can't go wrong with the Naked palettes, they are good to have in your arsenal for neutral looks, although it doesn't have colorful shadows to play with.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

When I was totally new to makeup, I spent way too much money on eyeshadow palettes with colors that I ended up barely ever using.  What is appealing to the eye in an artistic sense isn't necessarily what you want to put on your eyelids on a daily basis!  I wish I had been more patient and experimented more before buying really expensive stuff, to find out exactly which colors/finishes were most flattering on me.  Sephora has a nice inexpensive collection containing many shade ranges that would be fun to experiment with:

swfupload_4182644787251679590.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/smoky-eye-studio-2-P376772?skuId=1457795

That said, with brown eyes and brown/red hair, you might want to go for blue.  I have brown eyes and black hair and for some reason I just really dislike using eyeshadows in the brown/bronze range.  Too much brown!  

swfupload_4411231096455732015.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/love-me-eye-shadow-palette-P377426?skuId=1477785

roxystar4

drrragon, I have dark eyes, dark hair and light skin as well and cannot agree with you more about blue eyeshadow. It really makes my eyes pop & I seem to get more compliments compared to when I wear brown eyeshadow. SJarrar, have you experimented with blues at all?

SJarrar

[ Edited ]

I haven't at all. Sephora actually recommended Smashbox's Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio in these colors.

s1349794-main-hero.jpg 
But I have no idea how to actually use them. I'd love to experiement but I feel like I'd do it wrong and end up looking like a clown. 

drrragon

go to youtube and search for makeup tutorials!  there are so many beauty gurus on youtube, you're bound to find a few that you love.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • drrragon
    • lylysa
    • mafan