trestresbelle

Need a good mascara

My eyelashes are very light (I'm blonde) and barely visible on their own. I'm looking for a mascara that is preferably under $30, but I will be willing to spend more if it's really good. I've used covergirl and clinique in the past, and they just aren't making my eyelashes stand out as much as I'd like. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

trestresbelle

Re: Need a good mascara

(0) Hearts

Thank you everyone! You're all being so helpful. I'm still trying to decide between all your suggestions :smileyhappy:

lovelykatya

upload_5527088879315025158.jpgupload_2172354076436874654.jpgI personally love Chanel Volume de Chanel mascara - so far I'm in love with it , and I have been using it for over 6 months now!! I have tried mascaras by MAC, Benefit, Lancôme (and Hypnose by them is still my favorite for more natural look), and drug store mascaras; and Chanel one wins over all of them!

I have average lashes and I do wish they were super long , but it is what it is; I have to work with what I have. This mascara does not smudge and stays put all day. Also its very lengthening and volumizing without making lashes look spidery.  I have it in Black and Prune (my eyes are green and the burgundy brown shade makes the green look even brighter.).

Also as a suggestion you can make most mascaras work without a problem if you use a white lash primer!! :smileywink:

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

My favorites are guerlain maxi lash and toofaced better than sex. I have thin light eyelashes and they both give volume and have a nice thick black color. 

cspriverratz

I have super light eyelashes as well, and finding a good mascara is definitely a process. I mainly use Buxom Lash Mascara or Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara, but I'll also use benefit They're Real! and BadGal Lash sometimes for extra emphasis. For a good overall coverage and/or a base mascara, I suggest Buxom. It has a nice wide brush, catches every lash, and is one of those you can just put on and go, no extra make-up needed. Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll gives your eyes that false lash look, which makes it a great nighttime mascara, and even daytime. Both are very nice, easy to use, and are within your price range. Buxom Lash is $19, and Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll is $30.

MagdalenaBlack

(0) Hearts

There are two really awesome ones, and, no more then about $20. One is Benefits, They're Real Mascara. The other is Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes! They are both Lengthening, Volumizing, curling and nourishing.

manniface

trestresbelle

(0) Hearts

That is amazing!!!! Thanks :smileyhappy:

katief241981

(0) Hearts

My favorites are Diorshow, Diorshow Iconic Overcurl, Guerlain Maxilash, and Too Faced Better than Sex.   Love all of these!

rdesigns

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Diorshow waterproof has been my favorite for many years and is my first choice, but I recently tried Ardency Inn's Punker Unrivaled Volume & Curl Lash Wax and really am growing to love it.  I also like Guerlain's refillable mascara Noir G Mascara And Refill Set, but it is a bit expensive.

http://www.sephora.com/diorshow-waterproof-mascara-P99901?skuId=838763

http://www.sephora.com/punker-unrivaled-volume-curl-lash-wax-P382243?skuId=1537208

http://www.sephora.com/noir-g-mascara-refill-set-P310318?skuId=1421858

CaitlinBrunson

My all time favorite is the Loreal Voluminous. It is in a horrible looking grey and gold tube or if you want ultra black it is in the black and gold tube but I'm telling you, magic comes from that tube. I wouldn't waste my money on expensive mascara, it goes bad quickly and honestly, drugstore is just as good. Some more favorites are Maybelline's Lash Stiletto and Maybelline's Colossal. If you are set on going higher end, Benefit's Their Real works great. 

mkbarnes

(0) Hearts

If you are looking for a really good mascara that is cheap, I highly recommend ELF's Mineral Infused Mascara at Target! It's $3 and honestly is my favorite mascara. The brush is great!13586133.jpg

Nicrohr

That brush does look great if it really grabs and combs! :smileyvery-happy:

solveig

(0) Hearts

It depends on what kind of lashes you are looking for to get at the end. Volumizing? Lengthening? Defining?

I personally prefer volume and deep rich color. So, on a higher end, I really like Buxom mascara (the regular one), Lancome Hypnose Drama, and Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill. As far as drugstore mascaras go, I've heard many people had great results with Maybelline mascaras (but I am personally not a fan), while I actually enjoy using Covergirl (even though it takes a couple of coats to make me happy), and Revlon Photoready 3D Volume.

bfuller

My lashes are super light and skinny too, so don't feel bad.  I wish the Benefit They're Real had been a positive for me but it wasn't, so my sister inherited that one and absolutely adores it.

When I use a primer (Urban Decay) first, I have excellent results with Peter Thomas Roth's The Mascara ($22).  After I use the tube of PTR, I rotate with Too Faced LashGasm ($21) and Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes! ($19).

I loved Fiberwig but it dried out way too quickly.  I adore Lancome Definicils but it gives me the dreaded raccoon mask.

Trial and error will be your best bet, but I can tell you a primer makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck trestresbelle!  :smileyhappy:

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Yes about Fiberwig drying out :smileyhappy:, it wasn't a total dealbreaker for me but did suck a bit.

bfuller

(0) Hearts

It was great how the fibers made my lashes look uber-lengthy!  But for nearly $25 a tube, I think it should've held out for at least 6 weeks.  :smileymad:  LOL!

fhgarman

My totally dependable mascara has always been Lancome Definicils. Still awesome after years of trying deluxe samples of probably more that 2 dozen other brands! It's still my go-to. But I have tan skin, dark eyes, and dark, fairly long lashes. But my lashes aren't as voluminous or as long as they used to be naturally. The Definicils brings it all back and lengthens too. And it looks best layered over Lancome Cils Booster XL mascara base.

But I have recently totally fallen in love with Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara (because of a sample of course!). Don't be put off by the name. It isn't ridiculous over-the-top, night-out-only mascara. It lifts, curls, thickens, defines and doesn't flake. At all! Totally an everyday, all day mascara. It's $28, so it's at the high end of your budget, but I think you really might love it.

P.S. No matter what mascara, I still highly recommend using a metal lash comb to run through your lashes after you apply your mascara. No high-tech mascara wand will ever be able to do the same to separate your lashes and remove any possible clumps. Bare Minerals makes a good one. It's only $10 and will most likely last forever.

37741-eyelashcomb-0.jpg

trestresbelle

(0) Hearts

I actually never knew about the lash combs. Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I'm a huge fan of Too Faced Better than Sex mascara- huge volume and lengthening!

I've also had good experiences with Diorshow Extase and Diorshow Iconic Overcurl mascaras.

I've tried the Benefit mascaras- some of the worst ones I've tried, IMO. They're truly a love/hate type of product. I wouldn't recommend them.

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]

Like the response below me, I've also tried tons of the most popular in the past 6 months -- Benefit They're Real, Too Faced Better than Sex, Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, Guerlain Maxi Lash, YSL Babydoll, BE Lash Domination, Fiberwig Beautenizer, and Dior Iconic.  I've tried many Clinique and Lancome over the years and some have been OK but none outstanding.

I am waiting for a sample of the Hypnose Star one, we'll see about that.

However, I'm looking for SEPARATION (combing effect brush), a liquidy non-clumping non powdery looking formula, and LENGTH.  So I may be less helpful for you as I don't search out volume as my major factor.

I tried G. Maxi Lash after seeing the pics someone posted below on another thread -- I like the formula and it is lengthening (and volumising) but I don't find the brush to be any good.  It doesn't comb through my lashes, it's a dense fluffy brush that basically just "pushes against" my lashes and I can't get a comb or separation.  I'm not one to use a separate comb (lazy).

However, my favorite is YSL Babydoll from the Volume Effet line (I have it in black and brown).  I love the (silicone?) brush, it grabs, coats and separates.  I find this gives me good length while staying smooth and glossy (not clumpy, etc).  Maxi lash is a little more dramatic though, but they are close :smileyhappy:.

I liked Fiberwig a lot as it did "build" my lashes with little fibers, which was fun and cool, but a little fussy to apply and didn't come out perfectly even.  Still, this was a nice mascara and I used it for a while.

I find They're Real to be a good everyday, it was my standby for about a year, smooth, pretty nonclumping on me, like the brush.  However, not dramatic enough or long enough!

Too Faced Better Than Sex I found volumixing but not super lengthening.

My second favorites are Dior Iconic (the one in the silver tube, nonwaterproof), and Lash Domination -- BUT lash domination didn't "dry down" nicely for me.  It stayed a little tacky or something and when I took a nap without taking it off (6 hours after I applied), my lashes got all clumpy and squashed and stuck together. I was shocked as I don't think that's ever happened to me with a mascara before, certainly not hours after application.

So that's some of my 2 cents :smileyhappy:!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 46 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • spoiledbrat
    • solveig
    • caliglow66
    • trestresbelle
    • gingerblack