drrragon

Matte Eyeshadows trending now?

Hi folks, just wondering if what everyone's thoughts were on matte eyeshadows.  Honestly I love love love shimmers and had no use for mattes, like, EVARRRRR, but last year I noticed that more and more brands are putting out more matte shadows.  Like Lorac Pro with half mattes, Laura Mercier, Stila In the Know, and at the end of the year even UD jumped on the bandwagon with Naked Basics.

Also noticed youtube gurus like gossmakeupartist and marlena the beautygeek or whatever mentioning that shimmer highlight "looks so eighties" and they prefer mattes now.

What's happening here?  Are my beloved shimmers indeed "out" now?  What do you guys think?

sephoramusthave

Re: Matte Eyeshadows trending now?

(0) Hearts

The only matte shades I own is my UD naked basics. You know...I have yet to get used to matte shades because I usually wear shimmer. I dont like glitter because I wear contacts and it gets in my eye and scratches/irritates me but I still use it because I have a lot of great urban decay shades with glitter and I dont want to waste them. But pure glitter? No way. Matte shades arent as pretty as shimmer ones, but they do look more natural/polished.

Shimmer is my number one though! I know that a lot of older women like mattes because it doesnt highlight imperfections as much as shimmer does. I cant tell you how many reviews I read that talked about that.

littlepunky

(0) Hearts

I prefer the look of shimmery shadows on my eyes, but it can really depend on the all over look you're going for if you reach for the shimmers or mattes.  I rarely wear an entire matte look, unless I am going for a sultry cat eye and red lips.  Matte shadow looks amazing.  I will also use a matte in the crease with a shimmery base.  I find it gives the look some balance and depth.

ivowren

I love shimmer and sparkles also. But Mattes are good, especially in use with the shiimmer. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see more of the mattes as it was really becoming quite difficult to find any good ones. 

livemakeup14

[ Edited ]

I am a huge fan of shimmer eyeshadows too, but I see how mattes can be a good addition to a collection. First, mattes can provide a nice contrast in the crease or as a highlight color on an otherwise shimmery eye look. Also, if you are going to fill in your brows, matte eyeshadows can function as brow powders. I think that shimmer all over the eye can look a little overpowering sometimes and you need some matte shadows for definition and contrast.

Hope this helped you!

-Sisi

SiameseLouise

Personally, I say that if the eyeshadow fits, wear it! If a particular product makes you feel beautiful, and you think you look great, then it's the right look for you! I was a teenager during the late 1980's, and today's shimmers have come a looong way from '80's frosts (and--shudder!--the super-heavy, startling-blue frosts of the 1970's that my teenaged babysitters wore back way back then!). Today's glimmery eyeshadows seem to have much better consistencies and staying power, as well as appearing to be more sophisticated (ie, less "disco-ey"). While I personally love matte shadows (Urban Decay's Naked Basics are my current go-to shades), I still add a little shimmer to my tear duct and browbone areas with Stila's All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten (I use the shade in the left side of the pan) or the illuminator in It Cosmetics' Live, Love, Laugh Vitality Face Disc. A little shimmer definitely complements my matte look! 

islandqt

[ Edited ]

I think it's interesting too since there are so many high end brands whose quad eyeshadow sets contain only shimmer shadows. As in everything from the highlight color to the crease and liner are shimmery! YSL, NARS, Cargo, Lancome and Dior come to mind.

I think there is a difference between shimmer and frost or glitter. I think shimmer shadows and formulas have come such a long way to the point where you can get something super frosty to something that just has a hint of a sheen.

Personally, I like to mix and match to add balance. If my foundation, cheeks, lips are alll quite dewy and I plan on wearing highlighter on my cheeks then I'll probably for a more matte highlight on my browbone. Or somtimes if I'm going for matte lips I'll add touches of shimmer to my eyes and cheeks.

I don't think I ever go 100% matte or 100% shiny/shimmery.

And honestly, if shimmers are so passe then why did Armani come out with Eyes to Kill and let's not forget Chanel's wildly popular cream eyeshadows ALL of which are shimmery :smileywink:

melissabt

I like a mixture of both. Like Diana said now that I'm getting a little older some mattes tend to look better on me. I also think that's so silly that a shimmer highlight is considered eighties. I dont think that there are ANY rules in make up, you can wear what you think looks good:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm so glad people here still plan to wear their shimmers.  Thanks melissa for the comment about no rules in make up, that's awesome! :smileyhappy:  Maybe when I'm 80 I'll remember that when I'm dying my hair purple and doing smoky eye (although I'll trust you ladies to tell me if that's a makeup no-no, when the time comes haha)

kimmi1115

I have been interested in mattes, but I only have neutral mattes at the moment.  On Instagram, Kat Von D posted a picture of the final sample of her new matte palette, and it is beautiful!!!  I will have to get it!!!

drrragon

I saw that photo this morning and practically drooled!  I loooooove those colors!

kimmi1115

Same here!!  I took a screenshot of it with my iPhone lol.  

drrragon

gotta love google image search....the source is the makeuptalk forum

katvond-mattes.jpeg

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@drrragon- I love this palette it's actually suprising being from Kat Von D, I never thought one of her palettes would be this gorgeous, thought it might be a little more funky:smileytongue:

ivowren

This palette is amazing, gorgeous. I think it needs me. 

kaye123

That matte palette is beautiful! I like that it has some matte colors and not just neutrals. I may have to purchase this. lol

kimmi1115

That's from Kat's Instagram!!  Goodness, those colors are so stunning.  I've never said this about a palette, ever, but I think I need this palette.  It would also work well for my education observations.  A nice bit of color, but not dramatic. 

*stares....stares....stares....* lol

makeupobesessed

I love shimmers and sparkle, matte seems to make me look so blah....and if its 80's...well then they were great years ( i was young in the eighties so heres my chance to live it up now).   I couldn't live wo my sparkle .  

drrragon

LOL so true!  Great comment!  

Kitkat1022

I love shimmery eyeshadows. They make my eyes appear brighter and are so pretty.

I would prefer shimmer over matte. Matte on my eyes seem so dull. They are great for your crease but no really your eyelid. Right now I'm sticking to shimmery eyeshadows even if they said they "look so eighties". 

beautylovingirl

I think a small amount of shimmer is fine but mattes are kinda in along side nudes, Dior's line is about nudes right now and Chanel's makeup line is leaning that way too. I like darker colors in my crease and lighter shades from lash line to brow bone. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt
    • melissabt