From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes

Mascara imprints onto top of cheekbone! Ideas for stopping this?

No matter what mascara I use (covergirl to stila), it always leaves a black imprint on the very top of my cheekbone (where the eye socket starts) right under my eyes! Curling my lashes doesn't help, neither does setting powder. I have no idea what to do in order to prevent this, it drives me nuts.  I have to constantly wipe under my eyes throughout the day, which rubs my foundation/concealer of on that part of my eye. It looks so bad by the end of the day. 

Does this happen to anyone else? Any idea for preventing this??

Thanks!

Re: Mascara imprints onto top of cheekbone! Ideas for stopping this?

I have the same problem, thanks to my oily skin! Setting my undereye area with powder helps, but really I've just had to trial-and-error search through a ton of mascaras. The two I've had the best luck with are Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Volumizing and Lancome Definicils Waterproof. 

I'll definitely check those out! Thanks!

Hi, Rae1993! 

Does this occur with every mascara formula you've tried or just a few (if so, which ones)?

It's possible that there may be too much product loaded onto lashes upon initial application to where it may touch along skin before it's fully set/dry, causing transfer. Or it's likely that due to a combination of natural oils and moisture on skin and from your makeup, that it's subtly touching along the tips of your lashes to where that emollient quality moistens your mascara and thus results in transfer.

I've covered some tips and the use of a mascara shield to aid the application of product to minimize the risk of transfer in the below thread that you may find helpful---

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/How-to-Prevent-Mascara-Eyeliner-Smudging/m-p/2673647/highlight/...

Keep in mind that aside from application, it's possible that the mascara formula you're using may either be too soft and not long-wearing enough or perhaps it's an older tube and the formula may have degraded some. Also, if where you live is super humid or warm, it may contribute to makeup not remaining dry or matte, and thus more prone to migrate/transfer.

Hi! It happens throughout the day, not just initially.  It probably is a combo of face oils and I live in DC (ALWAYS humid, why did I choose to live in a swamp??). It happens with new or older tubes and honestly everything I've used (covergirl, Dior, stila, maybelline, etc). Waterproof transferred as well. I've considered not wearing it anymore, but I love how it looks.

Maybe I'll try a primer!

Thanks for all of the info! I'll check out that thread!

The primer aspect was more for eye shadow for the original poster's inquiry on liner travelling. Although trying a mascara primer may or may not make a difference to the mascara dilemma itself. 

Have you tried Urban Decay's Cannonball mascara? It's a waterproof formula that I've personally put through the ringer and it's left me impressed. I've applied it over an existing mascara, wore it for hours, went home, showered/washed my hair and held my face under running water, rubbed my face with my hands (only to then realize "Oh crud, I didn't remove my makeup first!"), looked at my hands, not a spec of mascara transfer. I even toweled off my face after, no transfer to the towel and when I looked in the mirror I wasn't some raccoon :P. I live in Texas, so hoorah for heat and humidity too and it holds up well. 

Try to use the shield idea to at least prevent lashes from being too close to skin/makeup as you're applying. That bit of distance may help in minimizing contact.

I'll try the Urban Decay! Thanks!

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing