warriorwitch

Looking for an eye moisturizer, suggestions please!

So, I got a mini of the Philosophy Miracle Worker Retinoid Eye Repair Cream in the We Heart VIBs promo bag and just now gotten around to using it, as I never really used eye creams because I'm 25 and have combo skin which usually doesn't require any heavy duty moisturizing. But I ran out of my face oil and thought I would try out some of my samples, and WOW. I cannot believe how much of a difference this stupid cream makes. I have been wearing contacts for over 10 years so my eyes get a lot more wear and tear then I realized until I saw the difference. 

Then I saw the price tag.... And I am just not ready to drop $65 on a half ounce of moisturizer yet. Maybe in another 5 years, but not right now. However I do want to add an eye moisturizer to my routine, seeing as I am 25, thats seems like a reasonable amount to spend. Right now I am considering Alba Botanics and Badger Balm, because these are brands I know and trust. I have also been looking into Avalon Organics because my mom uses their products and has good luck with them. I live in a pretty rural area though which means most likely I will have to be ordering it online without in chance to look at it first (which drives me crazy).

So my fellow BTers, what do you recommend for a young person with a budget cap of around $25 give or take a buck or two?

upload_5434917095339733370.jpg

And here is some cuteness as an advanced thank you. :smileyvery-happy:

itsslimm

Re: Looking for an eye moisturizer, suggestions please!

[ Edited ]

you  can  also  get  a order  a   sample  of  Laura Mercier  flawless  skin  eye   repair serum . i got a sample  today  went  i  went  to  sephora  in  NYC.   i dont  know  how  much  it  cost  but  you  can try it to  see  if  you  like  it. 

kssweetheart

Another thought if you're interested, purchase a kit with a number of products in it, they end up being much cheaper in the long run if you think you will use the majority of products in the set. Philosophy offers amazing sets/collections. There's something on sale, I think, but that may be more than you need. It has the Purity Made Simple cleanser (Love) The Microdelivery cleansing scrub (quite good) Hope in a Jar daytime (could work for you, super popular, if it's a bit too much moisture you can put some in your hand and mix with a speck of water, or apply to wet skin. I don't like the smell though, it smells to me like a wet dog.) Hope In a Jar night (just ordered a point perk of this. Not sure, I'm guessing it may be a bit much for you, if you could give this to someone with more skin issues that would be worth it) forget what else is in it. This is just an example though. Philosophy has a lot of sets on QVC and they have a easy-pay option on many things, so you could get it and pay for it over a certain number of months. Sorry Sephora, hope that's okay to say, once she tries a variety of things she can always come back here to get re-stocks on her faves. Just a thought. Hope you have a wonderful holiday, I'll find that other thread for you. :smileyhappy: Be well. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

[ Edited ]

If you're looking for an eye cream/treatment that will walk similar lines to the Philosophy Miracle Worker eye cream but carries a smaller price point, I highly recommend Roc. It's one of the best drug-store/mass brand skin care lines that utilize retinol without widdling down on potency.

If you happen to be a fan of other Philosophy items or want to venture more, they do have their Box of Miracles Miraculous Anti Aging Set for $48 that includes a 0.25 oz Miracle Worker eye cream along with their Miracle Worker pads (retinoid based, chemical exfoliation pads, cut them in half to get more use), and a mini Purity cleanser.  

forevergrace

A site worth noting is ewg.org. It compares the ingredients in make up, lotions, under eye moisturizers, anti-aging creams, etc. It can help you avoid some potential hazardous ingredients or ingredients more likely to cause irritations in many people. That's what I have to look out for when choosing.

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

Cool, thanks for the info, good to know. :smileyhappy:

kssweetheart

Hi warriorwitch - I did a very long post on a thread re: Eye Cream about 2 weeks ago, I'll find it and let you know where to find it. There may be some helpful suggestions there. Try to factor in if you get a couple of months out of it you could buy something for $50.00ish - Some companies are good about letting you know how long a product should last, so that can help you budget.

I'm always thrilled when I see someone very young is on the eye cream train. I started around 19ish and I'm so glad I did. I do not think you need to go for the 'big guns' at such an early stage in life. You can save all the hard-core products, with all kinds of amazingly sophisticated ingredients & technology for when you're older. You don't need to pay for tons of bells & whistles at your age. Another bonus to starting young, you may not need to use those 'big guns' as early since you will maintain youthful acting skin for much longer if you start early. :smileyhappy:

I Highly recommend SPF for the eye area, that is a huge thing, it makes a major difference. In years past there were not really products with SPF designed for the eye area. There is a  sample right now of Ole Henrickson CC Cream for Eyes, it has SPF and concealer. I'm not sure what else it offers or what the $$ is. It is quite possibly more than you need at this point but it does have SPF so it might be nice to try. You could also use something like Bare Minerals Foundation with SPF or their Mineral Veil with SPF. If you already have a foundation-ish product that you like you could add the Mineral Veil on top of almost anything to finish you look. If you don't use any foundation or powder and don't need anything, then you could just use Mineral Veil alone, it can be reapplied throughout the day so you're certain you're getting that protection.

Eye creams & SPF for face and Eyes is one of the best investments you can make to insure a more youthful looking future. Neck Cream is equally important, you don't have to go High-end, 'big guns' on this either. You might like Bare Minerals Neck Cream. SPF on the neck & decollete is also equally important.

Always use your ring finger when applying any eye cream, gel, spf etc. Pat with your ring finger and make a wide sweep up and around to the close to the eyebrow area.You also don't want to get too close to your eye, leave a speck of space since eye creams do migrate a bit, it can irritate your eyes. If you're using neck cream, do your entire neck & decollete area and around the sides of your neck as well, in an upward direction.

I hope you can snag the Ole Henrickson, oops....it's gone. Well, samples are a great way to try different things. Most brands will accept returns if you have a problem with any item, especially if it's something for the eye area.

Best of luck and thanks for posting that impossibly adorable Platypus, it doesn't get much cuter than that. :smileyhappy:

warriorwitch

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am testing out some moisturizers with SPF right now, and they seem to be winning me over. :smileyvery-happy:

bambina2011

Sorry for my ignorance but whats the name of that cute little animal?

warriorwitch

Its a baby platypus. :smileyvery-happy:

bambina2011

Thanks....awwwww they're so cute!!!

GothGirl00

Maybe a platypus? Not sure.

GothGirl00

Wait--- I just looked it up, it's a baby platypus

mafan

Can I offer a different thought?  You're Rouge -- which means that you had the budget to spend at least $1000 on SOMETHING at Sephora this year.  And I'm guessing it was on makeup.

So that probably means you still have a decent bit of that left.  (At least if you're like me, you've bought far more than you can actually use up in a year, right?)

This coming year take your budget and put it toward a good eye cream that you know will work for you and make a difference.  Start taking care of your eyes NOW and you will still have great looking eyes later.  You only get one skin, and the better you care for it early, the better it will be.  You can get great effects even with drug store makeup that costs a lot less than some of the things that Sephora sells, but sometimes you need to pay for good ingredients. 

I love Caroline Hirons' advice.  If you would spend that much on a pair of shoes or a purse, spend it on your skin.

And I was talking to one of the Sephora SA's in the store that I like.  She said that if someone came in and had to buy two things in the store she would tell them to buy good quality brushes and good quality skincare.  They make a huge difference and you can get good effects with drug store makeup.  (She even happily told me that I could find the perfume my mom might want for my sister at Perfumania since Sephora didn't carry it any more.)

As one last note -- if you're going to order things, are you good about returning them?  If you spend $25 on two creams because you try them and you don't get the effect you want, that's $50 gone.  You can get the eye cream and have something you know works for not much more.  (Or sign up for email from philosophy and wait until they have a sale.  They often won't exclude this line.)

Now, on to actually answer you.  Did you like it because it reduced lines?  Made your eyes less puffy? Kept them from feeling dry?  I like Origins' Plantscription Eye Cream and Clinique's All About Eyes, which should be more in your price range.  But now I want to go look and see if I got that sample and what it might do for me!

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I would also like to throw out that seeing as its the only one I have ever tried and it is (or at least seems to be) a hard core product I don't know that I need to marry myself to it just yet, you know what I am saying?

mafan

Okay, the fact that you haven't tried any others is a really good reason to try different things first.  But if you find something good that works, spend the money on it.  Yes, you will use up skincare, but once you have a good stock of other things you don't need to buy them as much, and you won't end up throwing out things because you've bought so much that they've gone bad before you can use them or you've spent a lot of money on things you don't need.

If the eyelid issue is a constant problem, you might need something this serious.  But if you're better about how you wear your contacts now and you don't fuss at your eyes so much, you might be in good shape with something less powerful.

You've got a Sephora in JCP near you. Even if it is small, they will have a variety of eye creams around to try.  At your age one of the other philosophy eye creams would probably make more sense for maintenance than miracle worker anyway.  I'd go in, talk to them, tell them you're looking for an eye cream that's good and in your price range (although I'd probably go to $30).  Ask for samples because with contacts you want to make sure it doesn't irritate your eyes if the product migrates.  If you need it for your eyelids, use something that has been opthamologically tested so that it doesn't irritate your eyes.  (I tried the Murad Essential C because it has SPF in it, and it stung like crazy!)

Go through your sample packets, too.  You probably have had enough orders that you've got some eye cream samples lying around.

From what I've used, I like this:

http://www.sephora.com/all-about-eyes-P122774?skuId=126581

All About Eyes was great for my eyelids when I had some major itching irritation going on.  Definitely fine for eyelids.

Also, look under Skin care and then Eye Creams under moisturizers. There's a Skin Care IQ and you might get some recommendations based on what you say you need.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out the IQ thing and hopefully be able to rope down some help at my local store to get some more suggestions.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

LOL I knew someone was going to ask why a Rouge had problems dropping money on something. Thing is if I buy that eye cream it will be the single most expensive product I have ever purchased at Sephora, even if only by a few dollars. (Currently the most expensive thing I own is the Vice 2 which was an anniversary present.) I spent this ridiculous amount of money for the most part 20-30 bucks at a time digging through the sale rack. (I wish I would have realized I liked this stuff when the $20 off $50 things was going... Le sigh) As silly as it may seem I still have a really hard time justifying purchasing things like this, because I know I will use it up and then have to go repurchase it no matter how careful I am.

Why I liked it is because due to being rubbed and fussed with a lot because of the way I wore my contacts, my eye lids were very crinkly and thin, with the veins quit visible. Now they look like healthy skin and seem to have plumped up.

Plantgarden

Excellent advice.    My sister would say "would you rather have one absolutely fabulous cookie or a box of so-so ones". 

itsslimm

why  dont  you try  Olay  Total Effects Eye Transforming Cream my moms  friend used to  used  it .  its like 20 bucks and  you  can  get  it at like  every drugstore. :smileyhappy:

Plantgarden

Is that a platypus?  And what you doing with it?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 53 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • spoiledbrat
    • saturnwings
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • bambina2011
    • kssweetheart