Yullz

I feel awkward for asking this :$

In the last couple months I have really gotten into makeup, and the skin care, the whole nine yards. While most techniques I have mastered, the one thing, I can't seem to grasp is putting on eyeshadow or liquid eyeliner. I have eyeshadow palettes and I have been watching youtube for ideas, but they make it seem so easy while, I stare at my palettes and look at my eyes and wonder how the heck do I put it on. Without making it seem I have a bruised eye. 

Anyone know any easy tips on how to put on eyeshadow? :smileyhappy:

Also for liquid liner too :smileyhappy: since I feel like im always drawing bigger lines :smileysad:

jojobe

Re: I feel awkward for asking this :$

(0) Hearts

We all had to start somewhere! I still have problems when I get dramatic with my eyes because I have really bad styes that I get in my left eye, so it is a little puffier than my right so when I try to tightline or do a cat eye I always end up with too much. Defiantly look into getting a tabletop mirror with magnification. This helps a lot too. I cannot wear certain blues or purples on my lower eye or it looks like I was in a fight. No matter how thin or light I would put them on it makes no difference so I totally get how you feel . Good luck and keep on practicing  

kenny

These questions are what BT is here for:smileyhappy: Along with just practicing lots, try starting out with lighter, less intimidating shades. A nice champagne shadow all over and a medium-dark brown on the outer corner and in the crease is a very easy start to eye shadow. It honestly really just takes time and lots of trial and error to really find out what colors look best on you, and to understand your eye and face shape. 

Also liquid liner is a pain in the butt, even for people who have lots of experience with makeup. Gel liner gives the same type of look, but it is easier to use.

mishanyc

(0) Hearts

You got some great advice on this thread. The best thing to do is set time aside and practice. I am still working on my eye lining technique as well.  Have fun and enjoy your makeup. 

neko333

One thing that helps me with liquid liner is drawing the line in pencil first. I can see where I need to go with it which makes it easier. Then just trace over it with the liquid. I think this is helpful for people trying to master liquid liner (it helped me at least). 

ilovetopurplefy

if you don't want to make your eyes look like their bruised, pick eyeshadow shades that work for you. You usually need a lid shade of your choice, a warm brown matte shade as your crease/transition color to warm up your look, a dark brown to darken the outer corner and smoke it out a bit or to use as eyeliner (black can be a bit harsh at times),  black to use to set your eyeliner or to use as eyeliner, and a highlight shade for my brow bone.  I like to start my eyeshadow application with a warm medium matte brown in my crease as my blending/ transition color and build the rest of my look off of it. The key to eyeshadow is blending. BLEND BLEND BLEND. Little by little until your desired effect. If you don't, your eyes will look bruised or the look not clean at all. If you wear shimmery shades on your lids, pat them on don't swipe or you'll get a TON of fallout.  Also practice makes perfect. I learned how to apply makeup from watching YouTube so don't give up! It'll come to you! :smileyhappy: With liquid liner, you need to have a steady hand, so I suggest resting your elbow on your vanity as you apply it and apply it slowly and in short strokes. Plus practice!!!! As you get better you'll be able to apply it in two seconds and it'll look good! I like liquid liners with the brush tip because it gives me more pigment unlike the felt tip liners and its easier to get a thinner line. I hope this makes sense! Good luck and keep us updated! :smileyhappy:

carolang

I had and still have troubles with that too. Not everyone has an easy eye shape to work with. I have small hooded eyes BUT a huge gap in between my eye and eyebrow. When I first started I kept trying to "draw in a crease" above my natural one since I heard that's what you were supposed to do if you had hooded eyes. My technique was not good and it would look like a ruddy mess. I went to a store (MAC actually but I'm sure they'd do the same at sephora) and the make up artist did one eye... Then she made me do the other! And offered pointers and fixed it if I didn't do something right like blending out the colors. For my eye shape she taught me to apply a darker shadow in the crease with a pencil brush and then use a blending brush to blend it out. I am very impatient so I didn't realize it takes a lot of blending with small amounts of product each time. I just wanted it to come together too quickly. I still struggle, but I'm getting better. A good time to practice liquid liner is before a shower! And I agree with someone below... A gel liner with a brush is probably an easier place to start, get that technique down first and it will help with the liquid liner. The liquid liner tutorials on YouTube are helpful also I think, especially with the cat eye flick, I used to just draw a line out but they make more of a triangle and it looks a lot better I think.

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

Besides the advice here, I say practice, practice, practice!  It does help if you have one or two decent brushes just to start out. They don't have to be expensive and they will make the application so much easier.

Also, start with a simple natural eye.  If you're new to makeup, don't try a smokey eye or fancy techniques until you have mastered this one first.  Neutral shades (creams, taupes and browns) are easier to work with and easier to blend and still look nice.  Then once you have this mastered, you can try experimenting with other colors using the same contrast:  light, medium, and dark, maybe in purples or blues.

Liquid liner, in my opinion, is harder to work with than a pencil.  I would first try using a pencil close to your lash line with your natural eye shadows and get comfortable with it first and keep playing with your liquid until you get better at it.  Good luck and never feel awkward asking for help!

Yullz

I can't tell you how inspiring you guys all are. Just makes me want to try. I have a week off from classes this week, between studying and such, I want to dedicate time to practicing with eyeshadow and start actually wearing for the fall :smileyhappy: :smileytongue: :smileyhappy:

nebel

It sounds cheesy, but practice really does make perfect.

Set aside some time for yourself to just play with makeup.  Experiment on yourself.  Go slowly.  Don't be afraid if  the final look isn't "perfect".  Have some wipes handy. If you do something you don't think looks good, wipe it off and try again.

Soon you will discover something, some technique, some color combo, which you like.  You can practice it and replicate it.  

Don't feel silly! I really believe the only way to learn is  to dive right in!  

ace2021

For me, liquid and pencil liners were a nightmare but I quickly caught onto gel liners. After that I was able to expand to using pencils more and want to try my hand at liquid again. 

Eyeshadows take practice and a lot of it is getting used to seeing yourself in make up at least that was a hurdle for me initially. 

1930sbella

You should never feel awkward for asking. You know what, the best way to learn (at least for me) was to finger apply my eye shadows. It just seemed easier to do what I wanted to do with my finger.  You just have to dive in and do it! The only way you will get good is with practice. Most important though, always have fun :smileyhappy:!

Yullz

Yes I know practice is the way to go. Sometimes, i just need a kickstart and an idea how to start it and from there I think i can grow. 

I mean I realized, my make up looks amazing, most people compliment how good i look on even 3 hours of sleep. Its the eye lid area seems so blah!

ChicDabbler

Howdy howdy, I remember having the same problem as you back when I first started. For eye shadows, one of the reason is why are not used to seeing ourselves like that so it can feel a bit weird at first. For now, you might want to stay away from pink, red or purple colors, anything that resembles a bruised eye color. You apply lighter shadows (within 1 or 2 shade of your skintone) over the lid, but keep the bright colors or dark colors slender above your lashline, don't apply a thick goop.

As for eyeliner, that take practice. You can experiment with whether you want to line the bottom or how far to line it. Experiment with how you want the outer wing to be, close to the corner, lifted up or follow the natural curve etc. Depending on how I do it, sometimes I feel like the liner makes me look pretty and other times it make me look bi*chy.

Experiment, take pictures and see if you like them before you wear them out. And have fun! =)

carrie1975

Do you live near a Sephora? They have classes for makeup application. Maybe they could help you!

Yullz

(0) Hearts

I wish. But I live in Ontario, apparently most stores don't offer it. :smileysad: 

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Where in Ontario?

veronika23

For liquid I sometimes use a very small angled brush.  The one I have is from MAC.  I believe it's an eyebrow brush but I use it for liquid.

I hope I can explain this correctly. lol. Make sure you have good brushes for eyeshadow.  I'd use a light color and pack it on the lid and blend towards eyebrow.  So when I mean pack I mean tap on the color don't "blend".  Use a different brush with a darker color for the crease.  This time you blend you don't pack it on.  Just add a bit at a time. Use a back and forward motion from outer corner of your eye to inside about middle of your eye. Next if it doesn't look good take your light color again and blend blend blend.  I'm better at doing than explaining but hope it helps a bit.

Also I'd suggest to go get a makeover and watch them as they do it. Practice, Practice, Practice =)

carrie1975

Don't ever feel awkward for asking a question. That is why these boards exist. I dont have a good answer but somebody will. Ask anything and you won't be laughed at.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 30 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kenny
    • jojobe
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • ChicDabbler
    • neko333
    • veronika23