jenbird

How to make my eyeshadow last all day long?

I have oily eyelids and I can't wear just eyeliner or just mascara otherwise it transfers to my brow bone and looks gross. So I have to use an eyeshadow primer and wear eyeshadow if I want to wear any eye makeup. So I was in church today and I was crying and when I got home I noticed that my eyeshadow was all patchy and creased even though I used an eyeshadow primer. I think it was because I was crying because I've noticed whenever my eyes get watery or I cry my eyeshadow somehow gets ruined.:smileysad: How can I fix this? Is there such a thing as waterproof eyeshadow? The brands of eyeshadows that I use are MAC., Avon, Urban Decay, WetnWild and Sephora Brand.:smileyhappy: I use UDPP for my eye primer and then I use pressed powder eyeshadows.:smileyhappy: Are there such things as waterproof pressed powder eyeshadows? Thanks!:smileyhappy: I've never wanted to try cream eyeshadows because my eyelids are so oily.
latinadiva

Re: How to make my eyeshadow last all day long?

(0) Hearts

I can tell you I have the exact same problem. My eye lids are super super oily and it makes me so sad because I love makeup and have more makeup than anyone could use in 12 lifetimes! I even considered starting to just not wear eyeshadow at all because I hated the creasing..and even when I don't wear eyeshadow, my lids look like an oil slick. I have tried every single primer you could POSSIBLY try: Urban Decay (3 of the 4 shades), Benefit, Smashbox, Lorac, Laura Geller, Bare Minerals, Too Faced (3 of the varieties), Lancome, Kat Von D, NARS, Tarte...in terms of cream shadows, I've tried Estee Lauder, Tarte, Benefit, MAC Paint Pots....in terms of shadow pencils, I've tried Sephora waterproof ones, Tarte, Urban Decay, Benefit, Buxom...in terms of drugstore, I've tried Avon, Maybelline Color Tattoos, Wet & Wild (primer and jumbo pencil), Essence, NYX (regular, HD and jumbo pencils), Covergirl Shadow Blast, Almay, Revlon, ELF. I mean I'm telling you I've tried it ALLLLL. I've actually struggled with having things work for me and then when I repurchase them they never work the same. Urban Decay worked amazing for me, then when I repurchased, it didn't work (although I've heard several people say that once they put it in the new tube it didn't work for whatever reason). Then I tried Too Faced and it worked amazing..again, went to repurchase and it worked horribly. On the suggestion of a friend, I tried Lorac and again, worked incredily well...bought my second tube, not so much. I can't quite figure it out. Or that I swatch a jumbo pencil on my hand (like Sephora's for example) and I have to work SO hard to take it off, and yet it creases on my eyes in a matter of hours. It is so frustrating. As of this moment, what works BEST for me is the Too Faced Glitter Glue (and yes I use this even without glitter just because of the tackiness) and topping that with one of the Tarte jumbo pencils. And keep in mind, when I say best, I mean I can get the most hours of wear without creasing...doesn't mean no creasing what so ever. I was told once that matte shadows are better for oily eyes, that doesn't work in my case (at least with the kinds I have tried). Was also suggested by an Ulta employee to try a mattifying concealer as a primer with a setting powder (specifically was told the UD concealer pencil and the Too Faced Primed and Poreless powder) and I ended up loving both products but only for their original purposes, not for my eyes. If you happen to find the miracle solution for this..please let me know! 

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Have you ever tried using cream eyeshadows instead of powder? You can wear them instead of powder eyeshadows and they literally do not crease no matter what you do. I too have very oily lids and cream eyeshadows seem counter intuitive but I swear by them. You can also use them as a powder eyeshadow base. I've personally never tried it but I understand that cream eyeshadows can double as an eyeshadow primer.

My favorite cream eyeshadows are Benefit's creaseless ones. If you want to use one as a base, get a neutral color like Birthday Suit. It looks like they're out of stock online but you can probably find them in a local store.

http://www.sephora.com/creaseless-cream-shadow-liner-P181807?skuId=1281138

Stephisue825

http://www.sephora.com/behind-the-scenes-eye-primer-P255602?skuId=1222520

Lorac behind the scenes primer. I have about 6 different shadow primers and this is my go to! a little goes a long way. I'm super emotional and always crying about something silly so I run into the fear of my makeup too. But with lorac I can let the flood gates open lol and I apply very pigmented heavy shadows so if they smudge it would be pretty noticeable. Highly recommended. Sorry it's out of stock currently.(because its fabulous!)

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try looking into a thicker consistency primer, one that isn't as slippery or thin feeling like Lorac's Behind the Scenes or use a mattifying formula like one from Smashbox. Urban Decay has one as well called Eden that you may try, I found it to be not as thin of a formula as the original and dries down faster as well.

runy

(0) Hearts

UD primer doesn't work for me either.  I too have very oily lids.  I use MUFE Eye Prime and then MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork (neutral- there's a lighter color for fairer skin called Painterly).  Then I put on whatever shadows I have.

loveallmakeup

(0) Hearts

NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base works like a miracle.... I have the same problem and so does my friend... if you are skeptical, you can go to sephora and ask them to make you a sample of it so you can try out. :smileyhappy:

Selina236

(0) Hearts

I had the exact same problem and what I found is that the thin creamy primers only make my eyelid oily and don't give me a good base to blend color on. Although it's not a product offered at Sephora, MAC'S Paint Pot in Painterly creates a very thick surface for me to blend eyeshadow on. Anything that's thicker will give you the same effect. If you want a product from Sephora I would also suggest Lemon-Aid by Benefit.

IllegallyBlonde

(0) Hearts

i noticed that primers with a similar texture to UD don't work as well on my lids (the creamy, slippery texture that UD has.) i use benefit's stay don't stray because i find that it's thicker and dries better on me. then after applying my shadow, i use a shadow or powder that matches my skin and apply it around where my shadow ends, to keep it from spreading. i barely ever see creasing anymore!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • runy
    • jenbird
    • lylysa
    • loveallmakeup
    • latinadiva
    • Stephisue825