sp2001

How many palettes are too many palettes?

Considering all my palettes say they're only good for 12m (on the back of the box), and knowing I can't use all of the eyeshadows in a year, and not even being able to share for sanitary reasons, i'm starting to wonder if I have 'too many' palettes.

How many do you have and do you think that's too much? What's the magic number?

Teresaanne92

Re: How many palettes are too many palettes?

I hate that! My Anarchy pallette was the same way. I bought it thinking it was BEAUTIFUL and then I tried it and it just wasn't what I wanted it to look like. :/ I still have it hoping I can figure it out, but I probably never will! lol
If you do feel like blog sale-ing let me know! That beautiful purple color calls to me! hahaha :smileywink:
I should probably do the same for my Ocho Loco and Vice 2. And for the random singles I have that I will never use. I'm like a hoarder I swear!

Koofa

I will let you know :smileyhappy: And I hoard too. I don't even go out, like ever.. I just don't know why I can't stop buying more .. and more .. and more. :smileysad:

SydBristow

[ Edited ]

I may have too many.

Urban Decay Naked 2

Urban Decay Naked 3

Urban Decay Smoked

Urban Decay Melt Palette with three greens

Lorac Pro

Smashbox Masterclass Palette

Smashbox Palette for Green Eyes

Stila Cheek and Eye Masterpiece Set

Stila In the Know Palette

Too Faced Matte Palette

Bare Minerals Star Treatment

The Balm Voyage

sp2001

MasterClass 1 or 2? I've literally been back and forth back and forth on keeping mine.

SydBristow

It must be 1, it was available before the one that's out now which they are calling 2. I had one before that too.

linda711

Oooohhh, nice collection.  How do you like the Too Faced Matte Palette?  I have been looking for an all matte palette and they're not too easy to find.

SydBristow

I like the Too Faced! I use the lighter colors as my initial lid shade a lot. 

Stila In the Know is all matte too. :smileyhappy:

kittichick

I bought all of these since April. And I have been looking at them and wondering the same thing. I don't have room for them all anymore! And there are so many I haven't even tried yet. ::feeling guilty::

UD Ammo (haven't tried yet)

TF Chocolate (haven't tried yet)

TF Boudoir Eyes (use often) (First palette I ever bought!)

Smashbox Softbox II (have only used a few times)

Stila Stylish in Seoul (use often)

Stila Artful Eye I (use all the time)

Stila Artful Eye II (use often)

Stila Portrait of a Perfect Eye (haven't tried yet)

Stila Not So Nude (have only used a few times)

Laura Mercier Artist palette 2013 (use often)

Lorac Stylist palette (haven't tried yet)

TF Shadow Bon Bons (only because i haven't returned it yet)

BareMinerals Ready Eye quad (haven't tried yet)

Clinique quad in "Teddy Bear" (use often)

WhereYouStand

• Benefit Cosemetics: Wold Famous Neutrals - Easiest Nudes Ever
  • Benefit Cosemetics:World Famous Neutrals - Most Glamorous Nudes Ever
  • Benefit Cosemetics: Benefit Cosmetics World Famous Neutrals - Sexiest Nudes Ever
  • Kat Von D: Lady Bird Palette
  • Kat Von D: Saint Palette
  • Urban Decay: Anarchy Face Case
  • Urban Decay: Feminine Palette
  • Urban Decay: Smoked Palette
  • Urban Decay: Book Of Shadows Vol. IV Redux
  • Urban Decay: Naked Palette
  • Urban Decay: Naked2 Palette
  • Urban Decay: Naked3 Palette

That's the ones off the top of my head that I have currently

SydBristow

Do you like Book of Shadows? I got it as a gift but didn't end up giving it away, may end up with it myself. I like some of the colors a lot, would love to hear your thoughts!

WhereYouStand

I just ordered it actually It hasn't arrived via shipment yet. :smileyhappy: I am sure I will love it though. 

WhereYouStand

it reminds me of the Urban Decay Wallpaper palette I used to have though from first look & I loved that palette 

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue, I've got soooo many palettes that I don't even remember how many I have. Personally, I don't think the 12 month rule is carved in stone, I think you can use you palettes a LOT longer than that. If you use the same palette every day, hopefully you'll use it up. If you don't finish it but have kept your brushes nice and clean, the shelf life will be longer. Using it daily means there is the potential for more contaminants and it's open a lot.(Hope that 'palette open' part doesn't sound weird, I hope you know what I mean by that)

If you're switching off between palettes, chances are you are really not likely to use them up in a year. But each palette is kind of being bought more time. That doesn't make sense, can't find the words I want in order to explain what I mean. **frustrated face**

However, I do have an analogy that might make this more understandable.

I relate this to shoes. If you wear the same pair or 2 of shoes day in and day out, they're gonna wear out pretty quickly, there are things you can do to extend their life but, they're still going to wear out fairly quickly.

BUT, if you have 10 or 12 pairs of shoes that you rotate throughout the year, they are going to last so much longer, especially if you take care of them. Does that make more sense?

So, if you keep your brushes clean that will lengthen the life of your palettes. I know some other girls mentioned cleaning the palette with alcohol, I've never tried that, only learned that trick when I started hanging out here and it sounds like an interesting tip, Thanks ladies. I hope this helped you out. :smileyhappy:

marydiva

As long as you sanitize them, you can probably keep a palette for 5 years or more, provided you still like it then. I (had) four and it was too many for me, so I'm getting rid of one I've used like twice during the next traveling box. Three is just fine for me. I used Naked2 exclusively for a year and never hit pan. I think b/w Naked2, Naked3 and my UD Glinda palette I'll be fine on eyeshadow for the next three or four years. I honestly only really like simple, neutral eye makeup, with the occasionally gold, pink or plum accent. 

I love the palettes I own currently and I don't think I'll be buying any new ones anytime soon. :smileyhappy: 

kimmi1115

I usually clean/sanitize my pressed powder products on a somewhat regular basis.  After I recover from being sick, I always clean my products even though I didn't use them while feeling like crap.  I'd rather be safe than sorry lol.

stephyd216

I was just asking myself the same question! These are all fairly new thanks to my new BT addiction, so hopefully they get good use over the next year...

UD Naked 2

UD Naked 3

UD Ammo

Smashbox Wondervision Mega Palette

Tarte Bow & Go Eye Palette

KVD Spellbinding

Too Faced Natural Eye

Too Faced Boudoir Eyes

... plus maybe a dozen or so individual shades. I'm official on a NO BUY for eyeshadows!

calamityjane85

Never enough! Never!!!!!!! (insert evil laugh)

kssweetheart

"Infinity and beyond!!!" :smileyvery-happy:

courtesy of buzz lightyear :smileytongue:

katief241981

"too many".  hmmmm.  I don't know about too many.  I definitely think you could have "Enough" where you really don't need to buy any more.  But I'm not sure I would ever say too many. They are all just so fun. 

I have 

Naked 1

Naked 2

Too Faced A few of my favorite things

UD Vice 2

Lorac Behind the Scenes

A Bare Escentuals one

Countless individual bare mineral shades.

thats what i can think of for now….

DTalksAll

You're going to get a different answer depending on the person. Some think 2 palettes are too much, while others may say 10 isn't enough. Also, some prefer single shadows over palettes. 

Some will even consolidate their palettes into one. I recently depotted all 4 of my Naked palettes into one Z-palette. It's great! And I have a few Mac pro palettes for bright colors that I can swap out & rearrange as needed. 

I take good care of my eyeshadows; always use a clean brush & sanitize the powders with alcohol every 3-4 months. I still have mac shadows that are over 4 years old are that are just fine. 

roxystar4

I agree with dannyc, if you sanitize and take good care of your shadows, they should last you more than 12 months.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 156 replies
  • 322 hearts
  • 67 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • daisies121
    • DTalksAll
    • maltipoo66
    • spoiledbrat